littleshogun

Hitotsuba Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite heroines?

• Hirosawa Hikari
    • Matsumoto Mimari
    • Sakaki Kazusa
    • Jinno Nahoko
  2. 2. Which route that you think is the best?

• Matsumoto Mimari
    • Jinno Nahoko
    • Sakaki Kazusa
    • Hirosawa Hikari

3 hours ago, JaxItadiki said:

Will somebody be doing a walkthrough of it soon? I'm asking because I don't really like being in the unknown with VNs so I would like to know how long I'll have to wait.

This VN has a single (by the time you get there, obvious) choice at the end which decides which route you enter. All others are almost irrelevant.

12 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

This VN has a single (by the time you get there, obvious) choice at the end which decides which route you enter. All others are almost irrelevant.

11 hours ago, littleshogun said:

And to be more precise, the choice did have four options and all of those were the name of the planes that the heroines ride.

Oh okay thanks, both of you :)

done reading hikari route

Spoiler

i thought they win the FF game and every route has different methods and strategy like galaXy angel but no. they lost in the first round.

any recommended route order??? discord user @IA says that the student council president route is trash. 

advance ty

1 hour ago, wyldstrykr said:

done reading hikari route

Reveal hidden contents

i thought they win the FF game and every route has different methods and strategy like galaXy angel but no. they lost in the first round.

any recommended route order??? discord user @IA says that the student council president route is trash. 

advance ty

What makes the route trash though? Only thing I know is that it has a relatively high amount of h scenes

23 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

What makes the route trash though? Only thing I know is that it has a relatively high amount of h scenes

Convoluted way of telling the story with h-scenes sprayed all over in between. Also,

Spoiler

Nahoko keeps making advancements towards Junichi but makes no attempts to advance their relationship in the process; she seemingly is toying around with Junichi.

I don't know what the write is trying to convey by dragging out the story this way, not to mention it's really long and draggy when compared to the other 3 routes. I left it at the point where the FF Finals are about to start and started reading the other routes (finished Minari's and Kazusa's and on Hikari's now)

49 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

Convoluted way of telling the story with h-scenes sprayed all over in between. Also,

Reveal hidden contents

Nahoko keeps making advancements towards Junichi but makes no attempts to advance their relationship in the process; she seemingly is toying around with Junichi.

I don't know what the write is trying to convey by dragging out the story this way, not to mention it's really long and draggy when compared to the other 3 routes. I left it at the point where the FF Finals are about to start and started reading the other routes (finished Minari's and Kazusa's and on Hikari's now)

Spoiler

Sounds like something to be expected of a onee-san type heroine who's a bit arrogant over age difference. Well, from what i've seen she's the liar or atleast the type to plot and keep secrets, so not exactly my favourite heroine type regardless. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started it few days ago, and just now I completed my first route. I went for Kazusa's, as it seemed most natural progression from common. I loved it, ESPECIALLY the utterly satisfying epilogue :D

Spoiler

Another one of my beloved "family" endings :wub:
Kazusa-End.png

I think next I'll go Hikari -> Nahoko -> Mimari.

Also, I have one minor complaint - Saiko should totally have route too ;)

Edited by adamstan

15 hours ago, adamstan said:

Also, I have one minor complaint - Saiko should totally have route too ;)

Ah, another man of culture. 

Jokes aside, I still don't understand why the writers didn't give her a route as she had potential with her whole "I really don't feel whole if I don't work on airplanes, so I really have no interest in romance" and how falling for the MC could have easily seen some sort of character development with becoming a different person and such. 

As for your route list, I think you'll enjoy Hikari's and Mimari's routes, but Nahoko's really isn't good, which is why I gave this VN a lower rating. (Along with the fact of no Saiko route!)

4 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Because she's an "old hag".. Utterly disgusting way of thinking, but thats the core of it i think. A multitude of vn's have older or just slightly older side heroines who eclipses the main heroines, yet they never get routes.

But then there are some that, fortunately, get :) The closest one I can think to Saiko, would be perhaps Amane from Konosora.

Still, I don't think it's the case of "anti-older-heroine" thinking, as Nahoko, who has the route, is the same age (and of similar figure ;)) as Saiko. Maybe writers thought that they would be too similar? I'd say that there's also a possibility that she's been relegated to FD - like Kanako from Konosora or Ruriko from Princess Evangile. After all, Hitotsuba is pretty new game (JP version was released just a year ago) so FanDisc is not out of the question yet.

5 hours ago, Naterocks2000 said:

As for your route list, I think you'll enjoy Hikari's and Mimari's routes, but Nahoko's really isn't good, which is why I gave this VN a lower rating. (Along with the fact of no Saiko route!)

I finished Hikari's route yesterday. There were some good scenes along the way, and I liked the setup

Spoiler

Lost/forgotten childhood friend - another one of my favourite tropes ;)

but the ending felt a bit underwhelming for me. However, matches and all that plane stuff was quite good. It actually surprised me a bit, as I was afraid that it will be boring (like martial arts scenes from Aoi's route in ToHeart).

Edited by adamstan

Okay, so I just finished the whole thing.

Mimari's route was indeed very good, but personally I still prefer Kazusa - but she wins just by a notch ;) Hikari's route was OK, while Nahoko's was a mess. It had potential, but execution was lacking, I'd say, so overally it was disappointing.

Initially I started with all-ages version. It was handled a bit better than in Sakura Sakura, but still not good enough, so I switched to adult patch. Again, the cuts for all-ages version were made too early, loosing some valuable character interaction in the process. Up until now, the only well-done all-ages versions of eroges that I played were (apart from Air and Kanon, which are kind of special cases) Sanoba Witch, Princess Evangile, Yoake, ToHeart and ASFOS. And among those, only Sanoba's all-ages version was done by localization company alone - others were based on existing JP all-ages versions (even if those were unreleased, like with ASFOS). So it seems that NekoNyan is better at this game than SolPress ;)

As for localization - it reads pretty smooth, although there are some typos and missing words here and there. Nevertheless, "honorific switch" thingy still doesn't work out. In case of this VN, for most routes it's the "non-honorific" version that actually feels more natural, but it kind of falls apart in Nahoko's route.

Spoiler

During most of the route, Junnichi calls her "Senpai", switching to "Naho-chan" only by the very end. So when it gets replaced with "Nahoko" in "non-honorific" script, the point of the epilogue is kind of lost, and TL team didn't manage to find convincing way to rewrite it.

In other routes there's no problem most of the time, and it felt OK for me.
Also, there are still some "leaks" - meaning, for example Nahoko will still randomly get refered to as "Senpai" in "non-honorific" version. So it would need another round of editing QC, I'd say.

Aaand, really, I know I repeat myself (and others), but lack of Saiko's route is unforgivable :reeee:

So, all in all, my rating is the same as @Naterocks2000's - 7.5/10

Edited by adamstan

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

Okay, so I just finished the whole thing.

Mimari's route was indeed very good, but personally I still prefer Kazusa - but she wins just by a notch ;) Hikari's route was OK, while Nahoko's was a mess. It had potential, but execution was lacking, I'd say, so overally it was disappointing.

Initially I started with all-ages version. It was handled a bit better than in Sakura Sakura, but still not good enough, so I switched to adult patch. Again, the cuts for all-ages version were made too early, loosing some valuable character interaction in the process. Up until now, the only well-done all-ages versions of eroges that I played were (apart from Air and Kanon, which are kind of special cases) Sanoba Witch, Princess Evangile, Yoake, ToHeart and ASFOS. And among those, only Sanoba's all-ages version was done by localization company alone - others were based on existing JP all-ages versions (even if those were unreleased, like with ASFOS). So it seems that NekoNyan is better at this game than SolPress ;)

As for localization - it reads pretty smooth, although there are some typos and missing words here and there. Nevertheless, "honorific switch" thingy still doesn't work out. In case of this VN, for most routes it's the "non-honorific" version that actually feels more natural, but it kind of falls apart in Nahoko's route.

Hide contents

During most of the route, Junnichi calls her "Senpai", switching to "Naho-chan" only by the very end. So when it gets replaced with "Nahoko" in "non-honorific" script, the point of the epilogue is kind of lost, and TL team didn't manage to find convincing way to rewrite it.

In other routes there's no problem most of the time, and it felt OK for me.
Also, there are still some "leaks" - meaning, for example Nahoko will still randomly get refered to as "Senpai" in "non-honorific" version. So it would need another round of editing QC, I'd say.

Aaand, really, I know I repeat myself (and others), but lack of Saiko's route is unforgivable :reeee:

So, all in all, my rating is the same as @Naterocks2000's - 7.5/10

Which is why honorifics is best to include. It's a culture where this has meaning, and some developments and interactions become meaningless without them. 

58 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

some developments and interactions become meaningless without them. 

If that's the case, then IMO they should just stick to this version, and polish it well. In other routes, when I tried to switch to the "honorific version", it somehow sounded off, too stiff and unnatural. That's why I think that whole "switch" gimmick doesn't work, as both approaches require slightly different style of translation altogether. It seems like a good idea, because in theory you can please both camps that way, but I think it would be better to choose one style, and pour all efforts and resources into it. In current state, both versions seem a bit half-assed - it isn't as simple as replacing names to make it sound good.

However, I have to admit that outside Nahoko's route honorificless version was pretty good, and not much was lost, as there wasn't too much fuss or development concerning the way of adressing each other, and translators managed to convey most of the relationship nuances using just different speaking styles for characters. They also thankfully preserved the distinction between using first names and last names, and that was enough most of the time. The only thing I'd change in it would be the way students speak about Junnichi's grandma, Akiko-san, from bare "Akiko" to "Mrs. Akiko" or something like that. Other than that, there wasn't anything that would bother me.

Edited by adamstan

8 hours ago, adamstan said:

If that's the case, then IMO they should just stick to this version, and polish it well. In other routes, when I tried to switch to the "honorific version", it somehow sounded off, too stiff and unnatural. That's why I think that whole "switch" gimmick doesn't work, as both approaches require slightly different style of translation altogether. It seems like a good idea, because in theory you can please both camps that way, but I think it would be better to choose one style, and pour all efforts and resources into it. In current state, both versions seem a bit half-assed - it isn't as simple as replacing names to make it sound good.

However, I have to admit that outside Nahoko's route honorificless version was pretty good, and not much was lost, as there wasn't too much fuss or development concerning the way of adressing each other, and translators managed to convey most of the relationship nuances using just different speaking styles for characters. They also thankfully preserved the distinction between using first names and last names, and that was enough most of the time. The only thing I'd change in it would be the way students speak about Junnichi's grandma, Akiko-san, from bare "Akiko" to "Mrs. Akiko" or something like that. Other than that, there wasn't anything that would bother me.

I don't know. I can't for the life of me see any radical difference other than using "-san" etcetcetcetc or not.  Usually at worst the translaions who are true sewage and choose not to use it feels really awkward in such scenarios.

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

I can't for the life of me see any radical difference other than using "-san" etcetcetcetc or not. 

I thought so too, yet for some mysterious reasons something felt "off" to me. I probably wouldn't have noticed it, if there was no switch option available ;) It's like all those sans, kuns, chans and oneesans didn't go well with translation style used - they felt unnatural, sticking out like a sore thumb. But that's just personal feeling of course, and the one that surprised me a bit.

And it's the exact opposite of situation in Sakura Sakura - there everything seemed "optimized" for honorifics, and it was the honorific-less version, that felt "off" (especially since they also discarded last names, sticking with first names only in it, if memory serves).

Edited by adamstan

• 2 months later...

Finished the VN last night

Overall I liked it. 

I would say its biggest strengths are:

* All the characters are pretty likable and funny, outside maybe one prominent character in Mimari's route who was written to be unlikable
* It has some nice feel good/emotional moments throughout
* Unique enough setting with the plane fighting and stuff to make it stick out from other galge.
* Character development is decent enough for each character.

I'd say its biggest weaknesses are:

* Romance seems slightly rushed in each route
* The routes are obviously formulaic: Route starts -> Romance starts -> H-scene + SoL x3-5 -> Drama outta nowhere -> EPIC PLANE FLIGHT
* While not as bad as say... Muv-Luv every so once in a while the plane explanations are a little too long-winded for a plane noob like me who isn't particularly into fighting planes.
* Nahoko and Hikari's voice acting volumes aren't balanced very well with the otehrs and there's no way to adjust individual character volumes.

Some other thoughts that are more like observations:

* It has a slightly unique art style. While still anime style, all the drawings are... stencil-y?
* Those H-scenes are loooooonnnnnnnnnggg
* Only 1 choice mattering, I don't particularly whether choices really count as long as the story/characters are good

Overall Character Rankings

Kazusa > Hikari > Mimari > Nahoko

Kazusa- I've stated multiple times but from the beginning but I was VERY impressed with how they handled her as a tsundere. Very reasonable and willing to admit her mistakes and be openly caring of others while still having the typical tsundere trait of being dishonest with her feelings to allow for decent development. 

Hikari- I thought she would be a generic optimistic ditzy character... well she still basically was by the end but I actually like the way her character was executed in terms of motivating the rest of the team. Also she was pretty funny and a surprisingly good troll humor wise. Sadly she herself didn't develop much.

Mimari- The closest thing to a mysterious/kuudere character. While she did have her blunt side, she mixed it with otherwise being very friendly for the most part and only being harsh to people who really deserve it. Her bluntness provided some good humor. Her past was clearly the most deep and interesting.

Nahoko- She had some funny moments and is likable enough but she felt oddly... underused even though she was supposed to be the leader? Even in her route I liked the concept of her development but some parts were executed oddly.

Overall Route Rankings

Hikari > Kazusa > Nahoko > Mimari

Hikari- Arguably the most simple route, Hikari herself doesn't have too much development BUT you get to see the positive motivation she has on everyone the most here and it's really nice to see. Also her backstory related to her plane was the cutest. Her development with her plane was the most memorable to me as well.

Kazusa- Mostly carried due to the fact that Junichi and her had the most interactions in the common route due to their living situation so them getting together quickly actually kinda made sense. Her development being centered around her insecurities was nice.

Nahoko- As stated in her character writeup, I like the idea of her development in her route related to working herself hard to not knowing what she wanted to do and related to her and Junichi not being officially together right away. But... some parts were executed weirdly. Still enjoyed it.

Mimari- Her route had arguably the most plot relevance in terms of characters involved in a way that felt like a true route. I personally wasn't a big fan of the typical running away from an arranged marriage trope being the main plot. It caused MImari herslef to not have room to develop in an interesting way outside using her Grandma's plane temporarily. Still was overall decent.

Overall H-scene Rankings

Kazusa > Mimari > Nahoko > Hikari

Won't go into much detail besides Kazusa's were much better than everyone else's. If you wanna know more details just PM or @ me or something.

Overall Plane Rankings

A6M5 Type Zero Model 52 > Kyushu J7W Shinden > Spitfire LF mk.lXc > Ki-46 III Otsu + Hei > Ki-44 Shoki

Zero- I like the specs and features of it the most. Also has the cutest relations to the plot/route.

Shinden- Kinda unfair due to plot and MC relevance but can't beat that speed and firepower.

Spitfire- Mostly for the plot/route relevance.

Ki-46- Has an interesting design.

Shoki- Least memorable.

Characters I want a route of most Rankings

Akane > Katou > Saiko > Haruka > who cares

Akane- I usually like down to earth girls who have potential to be fun. Not sure where her development would be though.

Katou- A very confident girl who would have interesting developments Id imagine.

Saiko- Seems like the obvious choice but... she did have more of an obsession with machines and god what the fuck are those boobs size wise

Haruka- She's nice and all but given when happens in Kazusa's I would feel bad.

Favorite Song

It's Counterattack Time! (Sadly not on YouTube at the moment, may have to fix that myself)

Final Rating

TDLR If you like slice of life feel good VNs and don't mind a touch of fighting plane action, recommend.

7.5/10, rounds up to an 8.

• 2 years later...