Free Online Visual Novel

DAX

Hello, everyone. In this post, I will give a few recommendations of free online visual novels I have played on CloudNovel. In my opinion, these visual novels need more love than what they currently had. Since I said they are online, does that mean they absolutely have no way to download it and play it offline?

Some of them are available both online and offline so you can choose which method do you prefer.

NOTE: The order of this list is random. These visual novels are not arranged by a ranking of “Which one is better” or “Which one I like the most”
NOTE #2: These are my personal recommendations. It's okay if you don't feel the same but please don't throw hate to me. Let's be nice to each other ^^

Insidious (Play it here)
Downloadable: NO

I wake up on a dark, abandoned island. I can feel immediately that something is very, very wrong. But will I last long enough to discover what it is?

Spoiler

Personal opinion:
I am a bit conflicted to categories this as a visual novel or not. The gameplay is mostly like an escape game but it used texts and monologues a lot so I would love to put this as a visual novel in my own book but you are free to judge it yourself.

This visual novel is very short. It has only 3K of words and multiple endings. But I like it very much.

High School Otome (Play it here)
Downloadable: YES (Please go to the site and read the description. Download link is there)

This is a story about a lonely girl named Sabrina. She lives the everyday life of a normal high schooler, and this is her story about a day in the life of Sabrina.

Spoiler

Personal opinion:
This visual novel isn’t like the typical otome which is all about fuwa-fuwa and giddy. I really can sympathize Sabrina and understand why she grew up as whom she is. This visual novel is set in America, I think? Kinda a bit contrasting with its anime art style, but the story made me don’t really care about the contrast. It has a lot of replay value too as you can get different ending from your first one just by playing through the same route.

Red Grimly Tale (Play it here)
Downloadable: YES (Please go to the site and read the description. The method of downloading is there)

Red is going to visit his grandma, who lives in a village across the wood. However, rumors say that there's a dangerous wolf living in the forest. 

Spoiler

Personal opinion:
Monofluff, the name of the developer team (consisting of two members, monoyagi and fluffness) is one of my favourite visual novel developers. The gameplay is very simple and I have to admit, the arts are so freaking cute!!! However, the endings are…… It is rated Mature 17, by the way.

The Red Wood (Play it here)
Downloadable: YES
Note: Sequel to Red Grimly Tale. 
Note from developer: This game is a sequel to Red Grimly Tale and it contains spoilers to Red Grimly Tale’s true ending. But Red Grimly Tale’s true ending also contains spoilers for The Red Wood, so you decide which one you want spoiled XD (you can't run from the spoiler bwahahahahaha)

Cursed to see the deads, Golda must run from the ghost as they try to possess her for their own personal vendetta. All Golda wants is to find her mother, who disappeared, deep within the woods. But now Golda must battle not only the deads, but she has to stop something much... more... sinister.

Spoiler

Personal opinion:
Unlike Red Grimly Tale, this visual novel is not totally about dialogues and choices only. They also added some spices to it by adding a card fighting game for interesting gameplay. I don’t want to spoil you so I can only worship the beautiful art by monoyagi.

Helen’s Doll House (Play it here)
Downloadable: Premium only. (Please go to the site and read the description. The method of getting premium and its advantage are stated there. Price: $3)

Helen is the daughter of a famous doll maker. Her wish is to become good like her father. One day, a stranger with a red scarf dropped a magic book for her…

Spoiler

Personal Opinion:
Now, monofluff decides to upgrade their work by adding doll collection game as the main course Helen’s Doll House. Keep collecting dolls as you unravel the secret that Helen’s father hid from her all these years… As always, art is gorgeous and my favourite doll is the sleepy doll.

Fluffland (Play it here)
Downloadable: Premium only. (Please go to the site and read the description. The method of getting premium and its advantage are stated there. Price: $3)

What if you're suddenly being kidnapped in a world full of cute beings called fluffs?? They're soft! They're fluffy!!
What will you do? Find a way to go home? Stay there? Find the culprit who threw you in this unreal place?
Live your new life and work, study, go shopping, take care of your garden!
Discover Cemetery, the land of night parties, and become the top fighter in the arena!
What are you waiting for? Come and join us!

Spoiler

Personal Opinion:
Guess what? Monofluff did not end their hard work with just a doll collection gameplay. They decided to upgrade by making the whole daily life game. So you basically woke up in a land full with fluffiness which resides by creatures called fluffs. The game is not finished yet but I think it has enough features to occupy your time for a few hours. One interest thing about this game is the fact that the whole map of the game is divided by two, Fluffland and Black Market (cemetery). There are two members of Monofluff team and it is decided that fluffness will handle fluffland and monoyagi is allowed to add random things in black market. So…...recently, I asked monoyagi to add strip club to the black market. *pat myself*

I want to recommend some more but it's 3 AM by the time I wrote this so I want to go to sleep now. Maybe I will edit this post and add some more tomorrow.

Have you played any of these? What do you think?

Edited by DAX