An Update on the Fan-TL of Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate

Hey, anyone remember this fan-translation project? The one initially picked up, translated, and then dropped by VL Translation Team. Then later picked up by yours truly? As the project leader who picked up this partial translation, here are some updates(if you can call it that) regarding this stalled fan-TL project.

People have constantly signed up for this project as translators and editors for this project, but it only lasts after they work on a portion of a script or two. Either I lose contact with said members, they mysteriously disappear from existence, or that they forever excuse themselves from the project b/c of personal issues. From there for the next two years it was left to gather dust in the corners of an HDD.

I still have all required files on hand and editing isn't really a big issue, so translation is all that's left. The problem now is that every year the expectations of a translation quality has been growing, and considering that KoiTate was translated by a mishmash of different translators, I cannot assure the quality of translation. It also makes me reconsider if I should even see it's completion just to be criticized by players who can understand the Japanese language of how bad the translations are. Of course, the translations for KoiTate shouldn't be THAT bad, but people even expect a lot out of even a fan-translation in recent years. Even though now I have the ability to translate work, I have no plans whatsoever on re-translating KoiTate. If anyone wants to succeed this project and bring it to fruition, contact me. I will do my best to give you all details on what is leftover through discussions on discord. If not, this project will remain in my hands as I slowly edit in a line or two on my whims every now and then.

Thank you for reading!

ps; posting here because the original post for the project is archived

Edited by Magicflier

26 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Yes... eight years is a long time though.  lol

At this point in time I already have the ability and the plans to start my own little TL projects; so I'm wrapping my head over how I should handle KoiTate after all it's been through, and the constantly changing TL community in criticism and quality assurance. :Teeku:

Edited by Magicflier

1 hour ago, Magicflier said:

At this point in time I already have the ability and the plans to start my own little TL projects; so I'm wrapping my head over how I should handle KoiTate after all it's been through, and the constantly changing TL community in criticism and quality assurance. :Teeku:

Just ignore their BS.  Translations get bashed.  That is the default.  The only real thing you need to keep in mind is internal consistency and readability.  If something doesn't make sense to you based on the character reactions or previous lines (when editing), don't be afraid to ask advice from a translator who might not necessarily have time to do a full tlc of the game.

1 hour ago, Magicflier said:

Advice taken to heart. :vanilla:

The reason I suggest taking this approach is that many good tlcs are also burnouts (experienced but tired of translating), so they won't reliably commit for long projects, but many of them are good people, so they'll probably be willing to answer questions or make suggestions on problematic scenes/lines in a private chat.   

Also, I'd suggest having a tlc solely go over the combat/battle of wits scenes to make sure they are actually consistent, since that is the place where most tls will trip up in Shugotate (miss the direction/vector of an action, miss who is actually doing what, etc). 

20 hours ago, Magicflier said:

Then later picked up by yours truly? As the project leader who picked up this partial translation, here are some updates(if you can call it that) regarding this stalled fan-TL project.

Thank you so much for your update. I wish more Fan-TL projects updated more frequently, it seems that they loose steam and vanish into the ether. Aka burnout from translating. The VN community needs more translators, they really are the unsung heroes who birthed the visual novel fandom into existence. Without JVNs being translated, forgot the EVN renaissance, we would all be anime, manga, or hell even light novel fans. 

I can join you, but I am only an English only pleb that cannot read Japanese. if nobody hasn’t said this to you yet, I will. 

:thumbsup:

You’re awesome!