Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart English Release

Antera

Whilst I find light beams obnoxious, and therefore will be looking for that patch that just replaces such instances with the non-light beam versions, the missing H-Scenes are probably not a problem. I'd have skipped them anyway, I just know it.

At least it seems the original developers wanted to make a good English release without investing too much $$$ and without risking worse attention/experiences than Sony breathing down their necks. That's more than can be said for some companies that ignore criticism (choosing a translation company that isn't very good is somewhat understandable -- the flow of information for a niche market like this doesn't flow very well to the original developers -- but ignoring warnings specifically directed at them does mean they might end up going with SakuraGame for English translations) or are simply xenophobic. That said, I believe it remains understandable that some companies just don't want to release their H-Games overseas. There's been some bad experiences in the past.

42 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

@Mr Poltroon and I had a discussion about this very issue some time ago. Not buying the game at all just means the company might lose interest in the western market from poor sales, but supporting a censored release might lead to them doing it again. I want neither.
I generally try to go with option number three and be vocal about the issue and hope a full version gets released one day that I can support. Hence, my comments on the matter. Not sure exactly to what extent Fruitbait's representative on here deals with the devs if at all, but one can hope our talks abut the issue at least makes it to the ears of the devs through them.

And I believe this is ultimately the best approach.

That said, the Western market at the time was a bit iffier than it is now. Now games make it here rather often, whereas at the time releases were far fewer than now. If there's so many VNs you can't read them all, then it's understandable that you'd skip on those that don't agree with your values. As a consumer, supporting the market is not necessarily the primary concern.

1 minute ago, Dergonu said:

The all-ages versions of Grisaia is a good example of this issue. I actually feel like people buying those are being ripped off. The actual ending in Rakuen is just staright up missing in the all-ages version. You actually don't see the way the story ends for the characters if you buy that. Yet, people don't complain about anything missing, because... well, they don't know it's missing!
See the problem?

No, but I understand how you'd have one and I don't feel like redoing the conversation will be particularly worthwhile. :P

As you've detailed your perspective, I'll just restate mine:

It doesn't matter that in actuality you're missing scenes if the reason you're reading VNs is to feel/experience something. The objective of all-ages versions are to provide experiences/feelings that mimic the original (but may be toned down / less scandalous versions of certain emotional moments) and leave you satisfied with a complete product by the end. All-ages is not competing with 18+, they're different versions of the same thing, and if you feel you had a complete experience, then that just means it did its job correctly in leaving you satisfied with your product.

The ideal scenario is that both versions are always available.

30 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Oh boy, another discussion I've had with Poltroon in the past. Are you sure you're not his alt?

No, definitely not, I assure you ;)

(as important as H can get; there's definitely "plot" related talks during the scenes, and many of them happen directly following emotional scenes, where dialogue will naturally continue in the H scene, instead of it being a complete scene transition into an isolated H-scene.)

I was just going to ask you how were the h-scenes in this since you've already read it ;) If it's as you say above, then indeed that might be problematic. That was the issue I had with all-ages versions of Sakura Sakura or Hitotsuba (also, the cuts were too broad), and that's why I switched to +18 versions for those.

Often the feel you have when reading the cut game will be quite misleading. You don't know that you're missing out on stuff, because... well, it's not there so how would you know!

There's some truth to that. But then - with PE I've read both versions (+18 first) and yet I slightly prefer all-ages in this case. The important thing is - did they put the effort to convey the intimacy between the characters in other ways, or not. Because yeah, those emotional dialogues are important, but countless lines of moans, sound effects and narrating every single thrust can quickly become tiresome, and not all writers can find good balance ;)

I mentioned above some games where I finally chose +18 version. But then OTOH there was SukiSuki, where I really lamented the lack of proper all-ages edition :P Its H-scenes were awful for moege. There was no love at all in them - just mechanical fucking - at least that was my perception.

Also, let's not forget Key classics (Kanon, AIR, and LB), where h-scenes totally ruin the mood...

BTW I'm still curious how will Cruise Sign turn out for me, as H-scenes in Konosora were pretty good, and besides they seem to be rather essential plot point for Ageha's route.

15 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

It doesn't matter that in actuality you're missing scenes if the reason you're reading VNs is to feel/experience something. The objective of all-ages versions are to provide experiences/feelings that mimic the original (but may be toned down / less scandalous versions of certain emotional moments) and leave you satisfied with a complete product by the end. All-ages is not competing with 18+, they're different versions of the same thing, and if you feel you had a complete experience, then that just means it did its job correctly in leaving you satisfied with your product.

The ideal scenario is that both versions are always available.

+1

Edited by adamstan

1 hour ago, Veshurik said:

But guys, those hot discussions are very nice, but the game already released...

Any opinions about translation quality? Etc?.. Hah? 

Would be nice to hear.

From the first 500 lines or so that I've read, I wasn't impressed with the editing. The TL could have been better. It's not terrible or anything, just nothing amazing. Someone like Dergonu might be more competent to talk about accuracy of it (the game does have an option to turn on both English and Japanese subtitles at the same time), but other than that, I think I'll leave this one for when I learn Japanese. With the way it was handled, I don't expect they did the jokes translations right. This VN deserved a more skilled set of people to work on it.

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

From the first 500 lines or so that I've read, I wasn't impressed with the editing. The TL could have been better. It's not terrible or anything, just nothing amazing. Someone like Dergonu might be more competent to talk about accuracy of it (the game does have an option to turn on both English and Japanese subtitles at the same time), but other than that, I think I'll leave this one for when I learn Japanese. With the way it was handled, I don't expect they did the jokes translations right. This VN deserved a more skilled set of people to work on it.

Sounds like they did a good translation. Now if only it had the 18+ content.

31 minutes ago, Codesterz said:

Sounds like they did a good translation. Now if only it had the 18+ content.

I looked now into the JP release. It's a totally different engine. They ported the game to Kirikiri for the ENG release, but the JP release was in some other engine. And that means that whoever (if anyone ever decides to) picks up the H-scenes restoration project would have to do a lot of work on the technical side of things (if they want to combine the release into the most complete one). So yeah, now that I discovered this, I think H-scenes restoration project is even less likely.

Just read it with the "good" all-ages translation it has now, and check the CGs on the net for H-scenes. I have no hopes a better solution will ever come up.

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

I looked now into the JP release. It's a totally different engine. They ported the game to Kirikiri for the ENG release, but the JP release was in some other engine. And that means that whoever (if anyone ever decides to) picks up the H-scenes restoration project would have to do a lot of work on the technical side of things (if they want to combine the release into the most complete one). So yeah, now that I discovered this, I think H-scenes restoration project is even less likely.

Just read it with the "good" all-ages translation it has now, and check the CGs on the net for H-scenes. I have no hopes a better solution will ever come up.

It would probably just be easier to add the translations to the Japanese version. Don't worry about adding the new scenes to the Japanese version I'm not that interested in them and they aren't part of the intended original experience. The extra effort required to get them in would likely be time consuming and difficult.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, iamnoob said:

I thought it was only the H scenes cut but it looks like they also cut a lot of other dialogue.

Here's one I found. They skipped this line
cons6au.png

Lol, that's such a harmless line. She just calls him perverted. If it directly mentioned them having had sex, I guess it would have made sense, but I see no reason to cut stuff like this just because it's an "all-ages" version.

2 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Lol, that's such a harmless line. She just calls him perverted. If it directly mentioned them having had sex, I guess it would have made sense, but I see no reason to cut stuff like this just because it's an "all-ages" version.

It all depends for what rating are they going for the console edition. Would this be fine in Cero-Z? Absolutely. Cero-D that Noratoto is? Maybe but not 100% sure.

Even something like Summer Pockets that is "all-ages" in the first place had to censor different things for the Android edition and Switch edition based on the age-ratings used.

3 hours ago, Dergonu said:

After playing a bit more I found like another 10+ lines that were missing

Quite interesting tidbit in that even all age VN need to obey the censorship based on the rating.

That aside I still not agree with Noraneko censorship though in that Harukaze chose to localized Switch version instead of PC version. On the other hand although admittedly it make sense in business though when Harukaze chose Steam as the fastest way to get the market, and we know on how recently Valve like to throw some temper tantrum towards VN with girl in high school uniform so that Harukaze need to be very careful. The line cut actually is make sense considering that the Switch version would obviously cut the sex scenes, so our question here should be on why Harukaze port Switch version to PC.

PS - If the reason for the cut is really the budget, perhaps Minatosoft currently didn't have much budget to allow the VA into their localized product and so they need cut the corber by removing some voices in their officially localized product (Both Harukaze and Minatosoft are one group, and currently Majikoi also face the same issue in that it'll have some voices got removed).