9-nine-:Episode 1 coming January 31st

Fred the Barber

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

Mm. Sorry it's not to your taste, but she uses unique-to-her, made-up nicknames for her brother, so when she does that, we localized them. That particular line has her call him "nii-yan",

I hope you’re not suggesting that her using Nii-yan (capitalized, because it acts as a proper noun) is a unique and completely made up nickname.

Since it was brought up, we do consider openly talking about watching VNs uploaded to youtube with no commentary to be piracy on Fuwa. (As in, raw footage of a full VN. Stuff like trail versions etc does ofc not count.) As such, posts like that might have been hidden due to breaking the rules.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, iamnoob said:

Anyone know how the translation is like? Sekai project's translations aren't always up to par.*cries in Hoshimemo*

It's edited by Fred_the_barber. They sing praises about him being "a literature-tier" editor. Take of that what you will.

It's probably of a much higher quality than a usual Sekai work (not to mention, Fred himself trashed the Hoshimemo translation you're speaking of).

18 minutes ago, iamnoob said:

Anyone know how the translation is like? Sekai project's translations aren't always up to par.*cries in Hoshimemo*

It's great. Ignore the naysayers who have a fetish with the word "Onii-chan". Clearly, they hate everything Sekai Project and have to come up with weird excuses to call the translation bad.

Reading it a bit seems ok though I did spot an "error". 

pCsDdj1.png

Non-retard units please xD

Other than that it's a bit liberal for me but then again it's just my opinion. For example, 尊敬 has a more nuanced meaning for respect which doesn't really come across here. Incredible just seems.... generic. Again just my opinion. It's definitely way above hoshimemo standards.
qCJj7NV.png

Edited by iamnoob

7 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

>Honorifics
Into trash it goes

yeah, I can't remember if I lost that argument or if I didn't bother making it in the first place since I could tell I wouldn't win...

9 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

It's edited by Fred_the_barber. They sing praises about him being "a literature-tier" editor. Take of that what you will.

TBH, you're definitely setting the bar a little high here... but I think we did okay with this one.

Edit:

8 hours ago, iamnoob said:

Reading it a bit seems ok though I did spot an "error". 

pCsDdj1.png

lol, fair. That's actually 100% my fault on that decision of turning the units into imperial. I'm genuinely sorry about that one; I wouldn't change it back, but I totally empathize with you finding it annoying if you're more familiar with metric. At the end of the day, you can't please everybody, and by default I aim for Americans, who aren't going to have that intuitive grasp of how far something away is in meters, or how heavy it is in kilograms, etc., and who I don't want to kick out of the immersion by having to think through a conversion. But that, of course, means that instead I kick folks like you out of the immersion... So... I'm sorry.

Edited by Fred the Barber

On 2/1/2019 at 7:54 AM, novurdim said:

I have very mixed feelings about the "dude" one, do we seriously have to make such a horrible localization choice (that can only be adequately used in the extremely rare occasions) mainstream... God help us.

I'm a little late on this (been a little busy), but "my dude" isn't something I'd consider a poor choice of words here. I've even heard it from my own sister, lol.

8 hours ago, iamnoob said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sekai_Project
"Sekai Project is an American video game publisher."

8uo6TOA.jpg

Edited by Kenshin_sama

11 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

yeah, I can't remember if I lost that argument or if I didn't bother making it in the first place since I could tell I wouldn't win...

there´s no making an argument about.
ideal localization simply means porting everything to the main target audiences country, or demographic whatever - text, names, cultural shenanigans, etc, then dubbing the audio and releasing a product that has an totally western/african/etc feel to it. those who whine about it being no japanese anymore should just read it in japanese, or shut the fuck up. of course fully localizing a title does no neccessarily mean putting less effort into it, or keeping the costs low - good western va´s do ask for reasonable wages (excluding talentfree bums who usually getting hired), same as any other people involved that rightfully call themselves professionals.-

simply translating a title /= fully localizing a title, though both go hand in hand. it´s especially the half-finished jobs done that keep the annoying controversy going, eg. honorifics, unavoidable discrepancy between things heard & things read....

Edited by SaintOfVoid

14 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I'm a little late on this (been a little busy), but "my dude" isn't something I'd consider a poor choice of words here.

Sure, and I would consider it a borderline disastrous choice of words 99% of the time. It only exists because one person who doesn't like a bokukko archetype made one bad decision and it lives on as a meme. 

14 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I've even heard it from my own sister, lol.

That's not really an argument for turning onii-chans into dudes, ya know. Hopefully the world will catch on fire when localizing would mean that everyone has to speak like weird american teens like in the ideal world of the guy below.

6 hours ago, SaintOfVoid said:

here´s no making an argument about.
ideal localization simply means porting everything to the main target audiences country, or demographic whatever - text, names, cultural shenanigans, etc, then dubbing the audio and releasing a product that has an totally western/african/etc feel to it. those who whine about it being no japanese anymore should just read it in japanese, or shut the fuck up.

I kind of missed the moment when delusional and completely inane ineptitude became an ideal localization. You should also try to think about the amazing fact that visual novels, on the contrary to the movies and other pieces of popular media which have a version for every country, are not translated only for the glorious americans, even here at fuwa, when you finally look around for the first time, you'll see that half of the posting users are not even american. Americanizing it as heck just because you have a grandeur delusion (in the extreme version) of what localization is, is basically alienating half of the demographic. Which is really just silly and prideful even if you consider americans your main audience. Heck, not even all localization publishers are american. Honorifics are one thing and can be up to the debate depending on the title and translation team, but everything else should be decided on most sensibly and case by case basis.

Edited by novurdim

1 hour ago, novurdim said:

I kind of missed the moment when delusional and completely inane ineptitude became an ideal localization. You should also try to think about the amazing fact that visual novels, on the contrary to the movies and other pieces of popular media which have a version for every country, are not translated only for the glorious americans, even here at fuwa, when you finally look around for the first time, you'll see that half of the posting users are not even american. Americanizing it as heck just because you have a grandeur delusion (in the extreme version) of what localization is, is basically alienating half of the demographic. Which is really just silly and prideful even if you consider americans your main audience. Heck, not even all localization publishers are american. Honorifics are one thing and can be up to the debate depending on the title and translation team, but everything else should be decided on most sensibly and case by case basis.

localization as its name suggests stands for localizing sth, eg. in this case the act of porting pieces of literature originating from one cultural environment into another, like it or not. & coming to ur point of demographic differences regarding customers, sure they´re there, but at the same time small companies can´t be really expected to make like 15+ versions available, that´s just economical suicide. 
in case of u no wanting to read a title localized into murrican, don´t blame a murrican company, blame ur own mileu for no founding one itself, btw there apparently being no enough people buying it in ur native language for it to happen.

Edited by SaintOfVoid

But why do you insist that it should be "localized into murrican"? Isn't "translated into english" enough anymore?

If that's the case and the alternative, I'd say, fuck localizations, translation is enough and can reach much wider audience.

I have no interest at all in american culture, so "fully localized" VN in the way you describe is pointless for me.

8 hours ago, SaintOfVoid said:

those who whine about it being no japanese anymore should just read it in japanese, or shut the fuck up.

This argument could also be reversed - "if you Murricans want murrican VNs, then write your own, instead of butchering japanese ones" :P And yet most of OELVNs are shit...

Or is it all just elaborate trolling and I'm too dumb to notice it?

Edited by adamstan

39 minutes ago, SaintOfVoid said:

in case of u no wanting to read a title localized into murrican, don´t blame a murrican company, blame ur own mileu for no founding one itself, btw there apparently being no enough people buying it in ur native language for it to happen.

VNs are and should be localised for the western world into the common "english", not "murican", for endless logical reasons. Most of NA and EU speak english at least on the most basic level, after all, english language is not an american property. There are phrases that can't be translated as is so it can't really be called a straight-up literal translation but at the same time overbearing cultural arrogance from one of the countries is among the worst things that can happen to the localisation intended for the widest audience, the whole english-speaking world.
But, well, you would definitely win a title for the narrowest understanding of the words, it's so extreme and die-hard that it's almost admirable.

7 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Or is it all just elaborate trolling and I'm too dumb to notice it?

Probably.

Though his comment history suggests he might be serious. At this point I can only hope he's not. at least Kiriririri is usually trolling

For folks skeptical/worried about future releases, the upcoming localization of Volume 2 just got rather quietly announced on twitter:

And I'm here to tell you, there's no coincidence the ratings for volume 2 are consistently a lot higher than those for volume 1. Volume 1 can be a bit slow at times and in the end doesn't feel like it accomplishes much (presumably because it's the intro volume), but volume 2 constantly kicks all kinds of ass.

I know that I should appriciate the news here, but right now currently my interest is toward to Tokeijikake Chapter 2 (Daybreak), so I hope that Sekai will take care of that matter there. Back to Nine, what I can say is that hopefully Sekai could release it in the near future (And obviously answer their meaning of 'soon') and of course announce Chapter 3 as well (It's okay if they want to go stealthly like this)

• 1 month later...