Irotoridori Kickstarter by Sol Press Funded at over 85k

yelsha57

1 hour ago, novurdim said:

Charity in the form of financial support of your favorite artists is the whole point of crowdfunding though. It's basically in the name. Kickstarter isn't a shop, at least wasn't supposed to be until companies like Sekai have turned it into a preorder platform, it's exactly a form of charity. You really like counting other people's money and criticize their priorities, aren't you. 

Some companies used Kickstarter to fund physical merchandise rather than creation of the game or localization like Frontwing. Nekonyan is contemplating whether to use crowdfunding for physical like them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1178845152/enjoy-a-sugary-sweet-life-with-visual-novel-loca-l/posts/2310451
https://nekonyansoft.com/blog/the-state-of-affairs

Edited by ztrepzilius

21 minutes ago, ztrepzilius said:

Some companies used Kickstarter to fund physical merchandise rather than creation of the game or localization like Frontwing. Nekonyan is contemplating whether to use crowdfunding for physical like them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1178845152/enjoy-a-sugary-sweet-life-with-visual-novel-loca-l/posts/2310451
https://nekonyansoft.com/blog/the-state-of-affairs

H-hey, that's just wrong! Kickstarter is not a shop. :wafuu:

6 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

It's just like gambling, people are not technically forced to abusing it to their personal detriment, but that doesn't mean you're not allowed to find some businesses that utilize gambling for profit morally appalling. 

It's not, there's not a single element of gambling involved. You can't just call any financial operation a gambling. Soon you'll say that any auctions should be shut down because you know better what people should spend their money on.

6 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Nope, "crowdfunding" does not automaticaly mean people are throwing in money without some kind of return on investment. Notice that tech crowdfunding campaigns work just the same - they're early adopter platforms and people would find it insane if it was any other way

Yes, just like on KS which doesn't change the charitable nature of the platform. They are getting a lot of stuff for their money, check up on the tiers.

Edited by novurdim

5 hours ago, ztrepzilius said:

Yes, basically exactly what I was talking about at "at least wasn't supposed to be until companies like Sekai have turned it into a preorder platform" part, wasn't I? I have written but a single sentence so it's interesting that people still managed to misread it and try to prove me wrong this way. Maybe I'm that bad at transmitting my ideas, it's a depressing thought. Making it a pre-order platform is not a bad thing either, people are right to utilize KS in any way they want, plus it gives a lot of free publicity. Though even in those KS's silly people can still spend a lot of money.

Edited by novurdim

3 minutes ago, ztrepzilius said:

I find it a bit unusual that some people have different standard depends on how kickstarter was used (i.e. for physical merchandise only)

Well, a lot of people are okay with pre-order/physical merchandise kickstarters probably because in those cases the release is already guaranteed, relying on a KS for localisation is a very unreliable and kind of exploitative method plus people are a bit exhausted at this point since they are sometimes waiting years for their basic rewards to be shipped so kickstarters do have a negative stigma around them. I would too prefer companies to abstain from using this method when possible but alas. I just got irked at Lesiak's weirdly extreme and condescending reasoning. :amane:

If you mean "people" as in "publishers" then there's always merit in using KS as a simple pre-order platform: you can get a bigger than usual number of pre-orders, you can get additional publicity, you can conveniently sell merchandise, you can gauge interest, you get a lot less backlash for the fact of using KS etc. It still adds to the kickstarter fatigue though.

2 hours ago, novurdim said:

It's not, there's not a single element of gambling involved. You can't just call any financial operation a gambling. Soon you'll say that any auctions should be shut down because you know better what people should spend their money on.

I didn't say it was the same caliber, but I find both manipulative and morally questionable. You brought out auctions, you think selling collector's editions of games exclusively by auctions to gauge prices would be fine? It wouldn't be illegal, but it'd be still anti-consumer. Not sure why you're so insistent on defending shitty business practices.

Yes, just like on KS which doesn't change the charitable nature of the platform. They are getting a lot of stuff for their money, check up on the tiers.

I think I was clear enough, I'm not against people paying for high-tier rewards if they genuinely want them, I'm against people being manipulated into overpaying by the false sense of urgency and companies relying on "fan mobilisation" to get poorly-executed campaigns over the line. Plus, you'll never convince me that commercial game companies should be recepients of player's charity. If that's how you define crowdfunding, then yes, fuck video game crowdfunding and everything connected to it.

Also, it's not like there was a long tradition of VN localisation Kickstarters before Sekai or that they did anything other than copy established practices related to original video game crowdfunding. Game KS being sort of "preorder +" is a natural state of affairs and, IMO, the only way it could work for commercial projects, without them being straight-up scams.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, novurdim said:

Yes, basically exactly what I was talking about at "at least wasn't supposed to be until companies like Sekai have turned it into a preorder platform" part, wasn't I? I have written but a single sentence so it's interesting that people still managed to misread it and try to prove me wrong this way. Maybe I'm that bad at transmitting my ideas, it's a depressing thought. Making it a pre-order platform is not a bad thing either, people are right to utilize KS in any way they want, plus it gives a lot of free publicity. Though even in those KS's silly people can still spend a lot of money.

Don't think you're bad at conveying ideas just because a couple of people didn't get it... is what I'd say.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Bumping this thread in regard of the Steam store for Irotoridori is finally opened, which of course wasn't done by Sol Press thanks to their incapability to pay tax so no Irotoridori release from them. Instead the one who will release this is Nekonyan, or formerly known as Shinku Translation who name the group based on Irotoridori main heroine (Shinku). In any case, no release date for long awaited VN as of now, but at least it should be almost close now that it's currently in QA.

PS - The link to the Steam store. By the way, Nekonyan localize the title as 'The Colorful World'.

Edited by littleshogun

• 3 months later...

Bump the thread again to post the tweet from Nekonyan, with said tweet is relevant to the post because Nekonyan host Irotoridori giveaway. The reason why it's relevant is because Nekonyan will give the Steam key of Irotoridori for free as long as the backer provide their confirmation, so yeah at least it can be assured the backer won't lose the money over nothing thanks to Sol Press incompetency.

Oh yes, for the reminder Irotoridori will be released in four days later (In 16th), so you can note the date if you want to get it.

PS - Also just in case you wonder on what is the backer confirmation stuff thing, Nekonyan did tweet a bit more in regard of it below.

So yeah, it's more or less that you should provide the proof that you're indeed back the project.

Edited by littleshogun

I was one of the original Irotoridori KS backers, and I was feeling sad this was going to be, by far, the most expensive VN ever for me.

But then Nekonyan saved the day, and gave me a key. The game is already on my library, and raring to go on the 16th. Thanks a bunch, Nekonyan!

So, if you were a backer, you should totally do it.

Late to inform this, but as of now we finally have Irotoridori no Sekai released, so have fun to anyone else who already play this. By the way, good job to Nekonyan for their programming because they manage to reduce the initial since of HD version at 9.4 GB to reasonable 4.2 GB on top removed the requirement of changing the time language display to Japan just to be able to play the VN properly.

PS - As for Hikari, there's still no word from Nekonyan in regard of it, so let's just hope that someday they manage to get a hold of the license as well if only for the sake of anyone else who backed it with Hikari in mind. That said, Irotoridori no Sekai is still complete on it's own (Well FAVORITE obviously made it with standalone VN in mind), so you didn't need to wait if you still hesitate to play this because the remaining trilogy still untranslated.

Edited by littleshogun