Irotoridori Kickstarter by Sol Press Funded at over 85k

yelsha57

Maybe Sol Press should have hired some spammers and "astroturfers" to skew the public opinion and stem the tide in their favor :wahaha:

...But now seriously, I am not worried too much. They've already bought the license. It's gonna get localized regardless of the KS, sooner or later. They can't cancel it now, and it's likely that they may even try KSing it again in a couple of months but with better marketing and so on. Or what has already been said somewhere... do Iroseka without KSing it at all. One of the reasons I respect NekoNyan so much is because they are actually taking the risk and not doing Kickstarters. I know that in this business it may not be wise or doable for everyone, but to me personally... I'd prefer to buy my VNs when they are finished and already in a store, not having to spend my money on a pre-order kind of deal such as Kickstarter.

10 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Maybe Sol Press should have hired some spammers and "astroturfers" to skew the public opinion and stem the tide in their favor :wahaha:

...But now seriously, I am not worried too much. They've already bought the license. It's gonna get localized regardless of the KS, sooner or later. They can't cancel it now, and it's likely that they may even try KSing it again in a couple of months but with better marketing and so on. Or what has already been said somewhere... do Iroseka without KSing it at all. One of the reasons I respect NekoNyan so much is because they are actually taking the risk and not doing Kickstarters. I know that in this business it may not be wise or doable for everyone, but to me personally... I'd prefer to buy my VNs when they are finished and already in a store, not having to spend my money on a pre-order kind of deal such as Kickstarter.

I will watch the Kickstarters, but I don't want to bother pledging for them. I would rather buy them on Steam. Kickstarters for vns Imo aren't really good or they just don't succeed. The worst part of them, is that you have to wait a long time to get your stuff. Sometimes it never happens, or there are really bad delays. Anyway, I hope they will find another way to market this vn or come up with a better plan. 

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

For a vn many haven't heard of and no particular advertising? Certainly not. The campaign results speaks for themselves.

I was kinda suprised that there were so many people that hadn't heard of Irosekai considering how hyped I thought it was, but then I kind of realised that was like 6 years ago or something. I suppose it kinda has fallen of the radar at this point, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

For a vn many haven't heard of and no particular advertising? Certainly not. The campaign results speaks for themselves.

Well, that's how it is, this is not a cheap business, if you want to cover a serious part of your expenses through a KS and not just raise awareness around the game a bit, then 85k is a very fair number for a VN-translation KS. Pretty sure even this number doesn't cover everything. Probably not even close. And it's a number that many predecessors have already achieved so you can't exactly call it unreal.

And yes, Iroseka definitely had the potential to gather enough funds in other hands, it has a big enough buzz to be considered relatively well-known: a famous developer, an already localised Hoshimemo which is kind of popular, Astral Air also had an active fan translation that many people followed and they all definitely know about Iroseka etc. Iroseka is not that unknown of a title and we've had games with literally zero exposure in the west like Libra and NewRin gather 183k and 88k respectively, for a quick example. Or do you really think A Clockwork Ley-line or ChronoClock were more famous than Iroseka from the get-go?

Maybe it's the tiers, maybe lack of advertising, maybe a bad time to launch, maybe the whole "trilogy through stretch goals" thing, maybe all of the above. But something definitely went very wrong. I was sure it would end up with 90-100k and then we'll worry about getting the sequels and stuff. Instead we got an unexpected flop. A first serious flop since, I don't know, the initial Sharin KS, and that one could be easily explained since they took every major misstep they could. Which they then fixed and gathered 188k during the second KS attempt.

I'm almost shocked Iroseka fared so badly, hard to believe that only something like Kickstarter fatigue is to blame here, a lot of mistakes should have been made for something like Iroseka to gather only around 60k.

Well the kickstarter being successful only securing one VN of a trilogy probably is somewhat of a factor. My guess is that a fair amount of people gets turned off from backing knowing that they may only end up getting an incomplete story. Combining this with poor advertisement, people being sceptical to VN kickstarters (often delayed, physicals often delayed by years), VN kickstarter fatigue and a kickstarter starting just a bit over a month after Chrismas it does not really seem odd that it is struggling and likely to not hit its goal. Also I think we should add the increased competition into the mix. There are quite a lot of high quality releases already out there for people to read and many most likely have a large backlog and would rather wait for a sale, also there are a bunch of new VNs coming out by companies like Mangagamer, Jast, Sekai project, Frontwing, Nekonyan and Solpress

Btw speaking of kickstarters what happened to the Umineko one?

Edited by bakauchuujin

38 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Btw speaking of kickstarters what happened to the Umineko one?

They missed the initial date because one of the people responsible for the kickstarter got ill, and it looks like now they are waiting for more appropriate time to start it. At least, the project doesn't seem to be dead.

3 hours ago, tahu157 said:

Jeez they're not even close. I wonder if this means the VN bubble is starting to pop.

It's not really the VN bubble that's popping more than the Kickstarter being used to help fund VNs bubble is popping. VNs have never truly sold well as a genre, but some titles still sell well for the medium nowadays.

2 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

It's definitely gonna make it. With 9 hours to go, they have enough time to get all the backers they need.

Nah, I doubt it. There's still about 10 thousand left. Right now I'd give it 20% chance that it will succeed. Admittedly, it's still a lot better than yesterday.

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

Nah, I doubt it. There's still about 10 thousand left. Right now I'd give it 20% chance that it will succeed. Admittedly, it's still a lot better than yesterday.

Have some faith :)

I am saying this because yesterday it all looked so bleak. Compared to that, this day shines better.

...But yeah, it's still not out of the danger zone.

Edited by Infernoplex

4 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Nice! Thank you for backing it!

No, i haven't. I'll rather buy it when it becomes a product. I'm not into charity. I don't doubt they'll actually translate and release it, but with kickstarter that is always a chance you have to take.

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

No, i haven't. I'll rather buy it when it becomes a product. I'm not into charity. I don't doubt they'll actually translate and release it, but with kickstarter that is always a chance you have to take.

Boo.

On another note, it got a lot closer mainly because someone suddenly snatched the 5000$ tier (maybe someone from Sol Press :makina:). But the final spurt has happened way too late and we are looking at 11k with 3 hours to go. Still doubt they'll make it at this point but who knows, miracles sometimes happen.