Irotoridori Kickstarter by Sol Press Funded at over 85k

yelsha57

6 hours ago, novurdim said:

I... really doubt that 20k for a game is considered that much for the market. And I'm 100% sure it's not a correct number at all, as I mentioned before companies usually crowdfund only part of the costs.

But it's honestly better not to discuss the licensing fees much, we know literally nothing and most always assume them to be a lot lower than they actually are for some reason. These speculations are so baseless and harmful that even Sol Press themselves commented on this in the last update that "the past funds raised in our previous campaigns have not always been enough to cover what is needed". Some have even already accused Favorite of being cashgrabs just because the goal is higher this time. I feel like some people would be shocked if companies revealed real licensing costs they usually pay.

I wasn't blaming anyone for high prices here. Honestly, with the Hoshimemo disaster, I don't blame Favorite for the prices they charge for licenses.

Plus, a speculation where I comment that paying over 60 grand for the ability to translate and sell a VN trilogy isn't harming either Favorite or Sol Press. Props to them for trying to bring new series to the west. Considering I am not the richest person, my view is that 60 grand is a hell of a lot to someone like myself. Maybe not to a company though. (Basically, my comment was MY analysis of the estimated price, if multiplied, is pretty high to someone like myself, no harm meant.)

Edited by Naterocks2000

14 hours ago, Naterocks2000 said:

I wasn't blaming anyone for high prices here. Honestly, with the Hoshimemo disaster, I don't blame Favorite for the prices they charge for licenses.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding, I actually didn't mean you specifically, I have just recently had similar discussions all over the place.

46 minutes ago, Antera said:

11 days left and its only on 40K. I am afraid KS might tank 

Yeah, the pledge's aren't going much higher. I just saw the pledges go down a little bit. :amane: 

Would it of done better if it was Astral Air? 

I still want to read Irrotoridori, of course. I was just wondering if it was popular as Astral Air. 

6 hours ago, yelsha57 said:

Yeah, the pledge's aren't going much higher. I just saw the pledges go down a little bit. :amane: 

Would it of done better if it was Astral Air? 

I still want to read Irrotoridori, of course. I was just wondering if it was popular as Astral Air. 

Hard to tell. People generally no longer trust KS.  Maybe there is also problem with name recognition 

39 minutes ago, Antera said:

Hard to tell. People generally no longer trust KS.  Maybe there is also problem with name recognition 

Yeah, I guess that is part of the problem, and yeah Ive read horror stories about Kickstarters. I could never back one. I just watch the pledges and hope it succeeds. I know some Kickstarters did good, but I guess it depends what it is. 

7 hours ago, yelsha57 said:

Yeah, I guess that is part of the problem, and yeah Ive read horror stories about Kickstarters. I could never back one. I just watch the pledges and hope it succeeds. I know some Kickstarters did good, but I guess it depends what it is. 

Same here. I'd buy it if they were to take the chance of translating and selling, but the kickstarter route is not one i support. Although i sincerely wish they succeed, even though they don't get any support from me and those who are like minded.

Edited by Stormwolf

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solpress/irotoridori-no-sekai-a-visual-novel-by-favorite/comments#

I do kinda agree, that it was a bad idea. There are  so many other projects that other vn developers are busy funding. I also agree about the rewards, and how they should of been distributed better. 

Edited by yelsha57

Yeah, it looks like very few people went for the higher-$ physical tiers. It seems like they either weren't priced very well or aren't things people were interested in getting. Somebody did pledge the $5k tier, but it sounds like that was somebody on /vn/ who probably wasn't serious.

I think Doddler raised some good points on Twitter. Sol Press probably got a good number of the hardcore VN audience in the first couple days but doesn't have the reach to hit a wider audience, like JAST or Sekai has. Maybe an English title and logo would have helped with that wider appeal.

If they try this again they might need to rethink the reward tiers and get a promotional partner.

Edited by Incynerate

4 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

What sort of publicity has Sol Press done outside of Kickstarter?  Have they made any attempt to reach out to users who weren't already following them and this project?

Honestly, I've only seen a handful of people say they've seen ads for it on facebook and other like apps. It seems like they completely gave up on the advertisement portion of the kickstarter. It's a shame really.

6 hours ago, Mugi said:

Another kickstarter inevitably bites the dust. Shame, I wanted to try this out pretty badly

Did we really have so many major kickstarter flops? I... don't think we did? I can't even remember any serious KS failures except ChuSinGura (which was horribly butchered to begin with and had released later anyway) and Sharin (which then had a successful second try). It's not that bad. I'd even say that if Iroseka ends up not gathering 85k, it's more like a single relatively unusual mishap.

10 hours ago, novurdim said:

Did we really have so many major kickstarter flops? I... don't think we did? I can't even remember any serious KS failures except ChuSinGura (which was horribly butchered to begin with and had released later anyway) and Sharin (which then had a successful second try). It's not that bad. I'd even say that if Iroseka ends up not gathering 85k, it's more like a single relatively unusual mishap.

Talking less about VN Kickstarters and more about Kickstarters for games in general.

1 hour ago, Antera said:

I am afraid KS has tanked officially. they need some kind of magic now to fund base goal 

They won't reach the base goal, but it doesn't matter because Xeviax has said on 4chan that he can find other ways to fund an Iroseka project.

12 hours ago, kokoro said:

They won't reach the base goal, but it doesn't matter because Xeviax has said on 4chan that he can find other ways to fund an Iroseka project.

He should have done that to begin with. This is not an amount anyone should ask for for a vn translation.