Where to get VNs in japanese?

Qwertion

Recently, I figured out that jp amazon doesn't ship to Russia. DMM denies service in the first place. Steam usually has what it has in English only (as well as other western stores). Is there possibly anything else I can try? Something obvious that I'm missing. Besides taking a plane to japan every time I want to stock up on visual novels (I'm as poor as the next Russian guy).

Some VNs on steam have both english and japanese text options. Two examples are the Nekopara series and recent titles by Frontwing, there should be a decent amount of other titles with both language options.

Also for VNs on console you can import it through sites like Amiami or playasia, though in those cases you are limited to all ages titles. Amiami also have eroge, but haven't tried to buy that from them so not sure if you can import it from there.

Edited by bakauchuujin

Getchu needs a prefecture on order for delivery, so no overseas deliveries? I have a feeling it also needs a japenese visa. Is it actually a digital download?

1 hour ago, Kiriririri said:

I have used DMM, dlsite and getchu all myself but if you want physical copies then use a forwarding service like Buyee, Tenso, Whiterabbitexpress... Just google "japanese forwarding service".

That's what the but means, right? How did you guys use it? And I can't access dlsite from neither of my browsers and gadgets for some reason.

45 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Some VNs on steam have both english and japanese text options. Two examples are the Nekopara series and recent titles by Frontwing, there should be a decent amount of other titles with both language options.

Yeah I know, but those are more of rare exceptions. First grisaia game is also in English (speaking of frontwing). VNs I'm thinking about are either in english or not released on it.

Edited by Qwertion

This reddit post is still the best reference on buying VNs I know of: https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/wiki/buy

Personally, I tend to buy Japanese VNs in downloadable form on DMM or DLSite. In the rare case where that's not an option, you can use a reshipper (personally, I've used Tenso a number of times, but just because it was the first one I learned about; dunno if maybe others are better/cheaper in some way). If you use DMM, watch out for the DMM Game Player; not all releases use it, but it's particularly shitty DRM and I suggest avoiding it if at all possible. Other games on DMM are fine, and I think it says somewhere on the page if a given game uses the DMM Game Player.

Edit: Just noticed the thing about DMM denying service. Are you using some other version of site than the Japanese version? I don't think I've ever had problems when using the Japanese site, and I'd be a little surprised if they deny service to Russia but not the US... but I dunno.

Edited by Fred the Barber

2 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

This reddit post is still the best reference on buying VNs I know of: https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/wiki/buy

Personally, I tend to buy Japanese VNs in downloadable form on DMM or DLSite. In the rare case where that's not an option, you can use a reshipper (personally, I've used Tenso a number of times, but just because it was the first one I learned about; dunno if maybe others are better/cheaper in some way). If you use DMM, watch out for the DMM Game Player; not all releases use it, but it's particularly shitty DRM and I suggest avoiding it if at all possible. Other games on DMM are fine, and I think it says somewhere on the page if a given game uses the DMM Game Player.

Edit: Just noticed the thing about DMM denying service. Are you using some other version of site than the Japanese version? I don't think I've ever had problems when using the Japanese site, and I'd be a little surprised if they deny service to Russia but not the US... but I dunno.

DMM says このサービスはお住まいの地域からはご利用になれません。whenever I use search or go for PCゲーム. DLSite doesn't load saying: The page isn’t redirecting properly on firefox and ie. I think I might've already checked it a long time ago and it was the same. Doesn't seem to be blocked by the government though, so I'm clueless. Just those 2 deal with downloadables? That sucks. Thanks for the link.

1 hour ago, Qwertion said:

Just those 2 deal with downloadables?

The guide also mentions gyutto, but I've never tried that one myself. Sucks that DMM doesn't work for you... Have you tried hitting a game's page directly? You can usually find links to places to purchase from games' official sites. E.g., (incidentally, would not recommend getting this one, since it's been announced for an English release soon, but...) this for DMM (NSFW), or (similiarly, upcoming English release) this for DLSite (NSFW).

Interestingly enough, clicking the link I found out that Fanza part of DMM doesn't block me. (Still can't access DLSite). I now think I might be permabanned on DMM games. That's not what it says, but why would it have a permaban message anyway. Just checked it with smartphone not connected to wi-fi and was able to use it just fine. Few years ago I've been trying to play kankole using a VPN. That might have been bad. Damn.
Edit: actually probably not, seems like it lets me in when I'm logged out is all.
2nd edit: asked a friend to check; same result; seems dlsite is inaccessible because of a regional block too.

Edited by Qwertion

Gave vpn a shot. Bought ever17 to see how it goes. Went fine. Disabled vpn after adding it to the cart (seems it only blocks me from browsing). Had to use vpn again to download denchi-DRM thing it denied launching without. Also dlsite actually loads when I use vpn. That one's weird, wonder if it's intentionally designed to not load from Russia. God bless vpn.

On 27/1/2019 at 7:42 PM, Stormwolf said:

I dont see the problem with using a vpn service as long as you can pay with a service which doesnt tell them where you live. No clue if they can deactivate your game license down the line if they find out.

Well the VPN knows everything you do with it, so, your choice really.

Like security professionals tend to say, "if the service is free, then the product is you".

Also I don't believe it's a Russian thing, those sites also don't like Spanish IPs (and therefore, from inside the EU).

Edited by Okarin

1 hour ago, Okarin said:

Well the VPN knows everything you do with it, so, your choice really.

Like security professionals tend to say, "if the service is free, then the product is you".

Also I don't believe it's a Russian thing, those sites also don't like Spanish IPs (and therefore, from inside the EU).

Who cares what the vpn provider knows though, as long as you're not doing anything illegal?