Rewrite - PSP English Patch

Kamukan

REWRITE - PSP ENGLISH PATCH

Resultado de imagem para rewrite psp

A english port to PSP edition, using Amaterasu fantranslation.

INFO:

I'm glad to announce that i'm making a english patch for the psp edition of Rewrite using the Amaterasu translation. The PSP version adds voices for all characters and sprites for Inoue.

PROGRESS:

SCRIPTS: 99% done

HACKING:  done

QC: in progress

last update: July 26, 2019

CREDITS:

Advanced issues found

• Amaterasu Translations - for the translation that I'm using
  • xmoe - hacking and tools
  • marcussacana - hacking and tools
  • jansonseth - text insertion, hacking issues 

SCREENSHOTS:

xoU8aNs.png

iVuBRkO.png

s5QfvhI.png

uQOHt5V.png

Edited by Kamukan

Current, Im working with Tomoyo After [PSP], and I meet problem like in this thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/kanon-english-patch-need-help.386549/

File alway limited size to edit, Example file original had 72kb, i only can edit up to ~72kb, if more game will freeze~~~ If you can resolve it, i will very happy if you can help me to continue with my work.~

On 18/01/2019 at 6:44 PM, Novel21 said:

Wow nice, i'm going to play this one when it's finished.

I'm really looking forward to when this are finished. 

Good luck:D

Thanks~~

On 19/01/2019 at 11:21 AM, Hojo Jun said:

OMG, i dont believe~~ it really very great~~ Ganbatte kudasai ne~~ Oh, and it will work with PPSSPP?

I didn't test on PPSSPP yet, thanks for your nice words~ And I will send a private message about the size of the script XD

1 hour ago, McDerpingheimer III said:

Why would you use the ixrec tl tho

Why not? Ixrec translation isn't bad like everyone says.

14 hours ago, McDerpingheimer III said:

I wasn’t aware that calling out problems where they exist and highlighting possibilities that may lead to wrong ideas is a form of human indecency.

Unless you can prove with quote that his translation is bad (thing that no one did so far) your "human decency" is close to zero don't you think? You really believe that some random dudes on the forum (that don't know a single word in japanese) claiming that "x translation" is bad without any proof are trustworthy? 

Edited by Kirashi

30 minutes ago, Kirashi said:

Unless you can prove with quote that his translation is bad

Well, for a sample for the Japanese-to-English conversion, there’s this sample of his work on Rewrite. I could post some stuff on his other works, but you’d probably say those aren’t relevant.

As for the English side, I can say it’s not good. For example, in that sample, he translates a line to “I flip mental tables,” which is awkward and somewhat nonsensical. In the screenshots in this very thread, there’s the line “Cutting noises in general are bad for her,” which is an idea expressed in a way that doesn’t fit any sort of convention of usage and meaning. I don’t have screens or quotes or anything, but having read Ixrec’s translation of Rewrite, it’s overall awkward and somewhat stilted.

And finally, there’s the fact that VA bought the Ixrec translation, yet Rewrite+ is being done entirely from scratch. If that doesn’t say something about the quality, I dunno what to tell you.

50 minutes ago, Kirashi said:

(thing that no one did so far)

Gonna need a source on that one

33 minutes ago, McDerpingheimer III said:

I only read Comyu so far. Understand that there are a lot of ixrec flamer on this forum, and each time I asked what the fuck is wrong with his translation, I only saw answers like "Someone said on the internet" or "I don't like his english" but no one was able to show any proof. And as you can tell, those are people complaining about the editing, not the translation.

One more thing if you want to know more: one of the first ixrec flamer on the forum is Decay. On day, I answered on the vntl comment complaining about Tokyo Babel translation, because there were  some fucked sentences in the first minutes of the trial, I gave one example of the japanese text with the badly translated text and the real translation (still on the vntl). And Decay rougly answered "Well, it happens from time to time to fuck some lines when you translate thousand of text, a friend that can understand japanese told me that "sleeping" and "going back home" use the same kanji, and the editing is perfect anyway so who care?" Well, that is roughly what he answered me. He added later that my english sucks... (always in the vntl comment and who the hell is his friend that answered that lol) So sorry, but people like that have no right to complain about other translation, and since that day all irxec flamers lost credibilty (at least for me). 

Edited by Kirashi

6 minutes ago, Kirashi said:

...since that day all irxec flamers lost credibilty (at least for me). 

So basically what you’re saying is you blindly defend Ixrec because someone who disliked his translations criticized you and was hypocritical? That’s pretty foolish. If you blindly dismiss an opinion because one person you don’t like holds that opinion, you’ll only cause your own opinion to be dismissed.

Just because someone else said Ixrec’s translations are bad doesn’t make it an invalid point, if they show the other person’s post and the proof contained within, which I did.

And as for criticism for the editing as opposed to the translation, I suppose that’s an issue of language and meaning, as translation can refer to both the Japanese-to-English translation and editing combined, or just the former of these. Because this patch aims to use the former of these definitions, the product as a whole, criticism of the editing is valid as well.

2 hours ago, McDerpingheimer III said:

Well, for a sample for the Japanese-to-English conversion, there’s this sample of his work on Rewrite. I could post some stuff on his other works, but you’d probably say those aren’t relevant.

As for the English side, I can say it’s not good. For example, in that sample, he translates a line to “I flip mental tables,” which is awkward and somewhat nonsensical. In the screenshots in this very thread, there’s the line “Cutting noises in general are bad for her,” which is an idea expressed in a way that doesn’t fit any sort of convention of usage and meaning. I don’t have screens or quotes or anything, but having read Ixrec’s translation of Rewrite, it’s overall awkward and somewhat stilted.

And finally, there’s the fact that VA bought the Ixrec translation, yet Rewrite+ is being done entirely from scratch. If that doesn’t say something about the quality, I dunno what to tell you.

Ah, the good ol' moogy pasta.

How are things going for you, my fellow megumemers.

Mistakes in translations happens, we can't judge the whole tl because of this error. I didn't see anything that comproves that guy on reddit knows japanese very deeply. So i'll continue what i'm aiming to do without caring about this ixrec tl thing anymore.

And progress updated. Finally reached the long scripts of common route, good luck for me haha

Edited by Kamukan

So basically what you’re saying is you blindly defend Ixrec because someone who disliked his translations criticized you and was hypocritical? That’s pretty foolish. If you blindly dismiss an opinion because one person you don’t like holds that opinion, you’ll only cause your own opinion to be dismissed.

As I said before, I always asked proof and no one was able to give me a single one. The Decay fan club doesn't understand a single word in japanese and had no better argument than "I saw someone on the internet saying that irxec translation is bad". I don't think I made a blind judgement, or maybe you just chose to ignore what I said above? Or are you saying I should have trust them even so? That's what you call human decency?

Just because someone else said Ixrec’s translations are bad doesn’t make it an invalid point, if they show the other person’s post and the proof contained within, which I did.

You're right, they had a valid point. Now I will trust Decay fan club when they claim to hold the truth.

Edit: Don't take me wrong, I am not saying this against you. You are actually the first person to show a real proof if I may say. I am just explaining how irxec flamers acted in the past, and why I can't bring myself to trust people claiming that a translation is badly done, especially when they complain about the editing...

Edited by Kirashi

As for translation matter, what I can say about Ixrec is that while some people did say that his translation is bad in the end it didn't matter much because people still enjoy his works, and I'm sure that they didn't have much problem when they read it. If anything at least it's not as bad as Your Diary+ in which I did need a lot of effort to just understand it, which says a lot seeing that I manage to endure Flyable Hearts and finished it. As for the proof (Reddit's post) while it did show some wrong translation, unfortunately it is very weak proof seeing that it's just show the line that was very insignificant to the grand scheme of Rewrite's main plot. So what I can say is that as long as the main story is still to easily understandable from Ixrec's translation, it's fine. Beside if the translation is very bad, there's shouldn't be a lot of people played this and give a good score. In the end, what I can say is that it's normal if we find the critic towards the translation (Ixrec's one) is quite subjective to an extent here because each people may have a different way to interpret the translation from the original lines.

Back to topic, and I see that you want to port it to PSP version so good luck on that. Although it may be interesting though if we can extract the PSP voice file into PC version, and thus make Rewrite+ edition redundant lol.

Edited by littleshogun

Just because it is understandable and enjoyable or the main plot is still there does not mean the translation is good.

If the main plot being there is all that matters, you may as well read a wikipedia summary and be done. Visual novels are a form of literary media, and therefore the actual lines and writing are important, not just the main plot.

Just because people don’t have issues with his work doesn’t mean it’s a good translation, either, as the many defenders in this thread show that people generally do not have a good grasp on what is good or bad from just reading.

Just because something is worse does not mean it’s a good translation. You wouldn’t call burnt food good because it’s not actual excrement.

Just because many people gave Rewrite a good score does not mean it’s a good translation; this speaks to the power of the original work, rather than the quality (or lack thereof) of the translation.

In conclusion, you are wrong on all counts. This kind of illogical, complacent attitude only feeds bad translations.

23 minutes ago, McDerpingheimer III said:

Just because it is understandable and enjoyable or the main plot is still there does not mean the translation is good.

If the main plot being there is all that matters, you may as well read a wikipedia summary and be done. Visual novels are a form of literary media, and therefore the actual lines and writing are important, not just the main plot.

Just because people don’t have issues with his work doesn’t mean it’s a good translation, either, as the many defenders in this thread show that people generally do not have a good grasp on what is good or bad from just reading.

Just because something is worse does not mean it’s a good translation. You wouldn’t call burnt food good because it’s not actual excrement.

Just because many people gave Rewrite a good score does not mean it’s a good translation; this speaks to the power of the original work, rather than the quality (or lack thereof) of the translation.

In conclusion, you are wrong on all counts. This kind of illogical, complacent attitude only feeds bad translations.

I see now that you did make a good argument there and therefore I can't deny it. However it mean that unfortunately we didn't know though of what kind of good translation that we should have for Rewrite here, so perhaps you can show us by either translating it from the scratch or help the editing here and with that hopefully there'll be less complain about Rewrite translation here (Don't ask me to translate, because I only knew three Japanese words here (Oyasumi, ohayo gozaimasu, and itadakimasu)).

Edited by littleshogun

There's no way that we can get Rewrite fast seeing that it's Sekai, so we can only use Ixrec patch for now if the OP want to work on this quickly. Also it may not worth waiting for official version seeing that Sekai usually did took long time, and that the progress was still at 35% translated (Also it's not guarantee that it'll be released after it's finished, especially if we knew Dracu Riot and Daybreak case).

Edited by littleshogun

It's far better to wait for a better translation than to use an available but worse one, as people can only experience something for the first time once, and unless it's designed to be read multiple times, they will only get that full experience of going in without already knowing what's happening once. Better things are better, so this unique first experience should be as good as possible. It's not like there aren't other well- or at least decently-translated visual novels to read, and if you still don't think there's enough of those to fill out the time before a release, you can always learn Japanese and put a vast repertoire of original texts at your fingertips.

In that case, then I'll just leave it to each of their own, because in the end each of us here have own opinion. You may say that the translation (Ixrec's one) is bad, but I would say that I have no problem with it. But let's leave it at that, because it's quite clear that we wouldn't find a common ground here other than we accept that Your Diary translation is very bad (Don't tell me that you find the translation for that it's very good). As for Rewrite, I'll just leave it to each reader to read it or waiting for the official release although if the reader want to wait for official release then so be it.

• 1 month later...