50 translated VNs you should read before you die

Kaguya

I have KiraKira in the top 10 of my 'most overrated VNs of all time' list. I thought Deardrops was far superior, even with two weak routes.

Interesting list, I'm surprised Clannad isn't on there. o.0

No MLA, SnY or Grisaia? No KID novels? Thats quite weird selection.

Also, KiraKira? Its slightly-above-average, but hard to see why it would be in this list, its no better than, say, Quartett or Period.

A lot of those are entering. Muv Luv Alternative is seriously cool, and don't even start to get me talking about stuff like Ever17. Clannad is also a must.

Just, as I said, I'm not putting them in their respective rating order. Kira Kira just barely made it to the 50. And personally, I wouldn't put it on my top 50. However, it is acknowledged as a good visual novel overall, and it's good for those who are starting to play VNs and have no clues what they are about. 

EDIT: The list is now finished~

Edited by Kaguya

Look like a well made list, I agree with most must read ones, but not with Yume Miru Kusuri. I don't know, it just didn't feel nothing else than a nukige game to me.

It's a nice slice of life drama. And one of the few VNs where the theme of drugs is proactively addressed. It's not "one of the best visual novels" but I consider it to be "a visual novel that should be read". It's always interesting to see what people think of that VN. Well, there is a high amount of sexual content, though.

Impressive list man. I have chosen alot of my vn's based on ratings and suggestions so I have read 31 out of the 50 novels you've suggested. Out of a total of around 40 novels I've read. All awesome games imo. I only personally disagree with.

Ef- A Fairy Tale of the Two I felt the development of the story was too "obvious" and I didn't like most of the characters.. Usually I like the characters regardless, so that was new for me. Actually I guess more fitting is. I felt no similarites or connection to the characters.

Yume Miru Kusuri too much focus on the sex scenes, otherwise good tho. Especially how the protag felt his life was going on rails and he couldn't feel attachment people around him. Resulting in his daydreams about trains.

Kanon was good, but not that great. It is a key work no doubt, but it's lacking in the quality and impact the later works have. Still worth reading. Uguuu~

School days. Watched the anime, I couldn't get into the game. I kinda like that I can speed up my reading speed with vn's. That way if I meet boring text,repeating text and too much moe text for me, I can just speed up my reading. Can't do that with this game. Because it's almost a anime.

Thanks for the list, put some of the titles on my to read list. YU-NO.. I am going to read it after I have completed my physics classes.

Impressive list man. I have chosen alot of my vn's based on ratings and suggestions so I have read 31 out of the 50 novels you've suggested. Out of a total of around 40 novels I've read. All awesome games imo. I only personally disagree with.

Ef- A Fairy Tale of the Two I felt the development of the story was too "obvious" and I didn't like most of the characters.. Usually I like the characters regardless, so that was new for me. Actually I guess more fitting is. I felt no similarites or connection to the characters.

Yume Miru Kusuri too much focus on the sex scenes, otherwise good tho. Especially how the protag felt his life was going on rails and he couldn't feel attachment people around him. Resulting in his daydreams about trains.

Kanon was good, but not that great. It is a key work no doubt, but it's lacking in the quality and impact the later works have. Still worth reading. Uguuu~

School days. Watched the anime, I couldn't get into the game. I kinda like that I can speed up my reading speed with vn's. That way if I meet boring text,repeating text and too much moe text for me, I can just speed up my reading. Can't do that with this game. Because it's almost a anime.

Thanks for the list, put some of the titles on my to read list. YU-NO.. I am going to read it after I have completed my physics classes.

If I decided to put VNs with gameplay here, or for DS or PSP, the list would have changed a lot. Oh well, I can't exactly make everyone happy. Well, as long as this works as a guide for newbies, all is fine.

This was a blast to read. Thanks for all the time that went into making this!

Nah, I had fun the whole time I was making this. It brought back so many memories~

Glad you liked it. The idea came to my mind because I was often lost and I didn't know what to read with so many options when I was beginning to read VNs, a few years ago. A list like this would have helped me quite a lot, back then.

Also, thanks for blogging it :D

The idea came to my mind because I was often lost and I didn't know what to read with so many options when I was beginning to read VNs, a few years ago. A list like this would have helped me quite a lot, back then.

Yeah I agree, this will be alot of help to people. I used something smilar back when I started. I used Asceai top 100 eroges list. I just googled top eroges xD and got his list. A good list still for the top 25 vn's of the 100 he listed imo. But I had to cross referance between those who were translated and those who weren't. Because alot of the vn's in the list where not translated to english. So it was kinda annoying...

I would highly likely use this list instead if it existed back then.

Yeah I agree, this will be alot of help to people. I used something smilar back when I started. I used Asceai top 100 eroges list. I just googled top eroges xD and got his list. A good list still for the top 25 vn's of the 100 he listed imo. But I had to cross referance between those who were translated and those who weren't. Because alot of the vn's in the list where not translated to english. So it was kinda annoying...

I would highly likely use this list instead if it existed back then.

So many guests here at once~

I hope they use the list. On a side note, I think Da Capo should enter the list as well. I may need to edit it later.

Great list. I would have liked it if you had made a few comments on every VN though, but it's a long task already =p

Anyway, I'll try to use this as another source to find new VNs to read. Right now there's this crippling doubt in me that I won't find again something as incredible as MLA was, but I'll keep trying.

That's a pretty comprehensive list. I don't agree with some of the inclusions but you've probably captured a group of VNs that most people would like. If gameplay VNs were added there are a few I would suggest, like Dangan Ronpa, Corpse Party, Aselia the Eternal/Eien no Aselia, Kamidori Alchemy Meister and Utawarerumono.

I would be interested to see a poll to determine Fuwanovel's favorite VN. I might go do that now.

*Edit*: Only allowed 20 choices per question. So much for that.

I would be interested to see a poll to determine Fuwanovel's favorite VN. I might go do that now.

You can ask for everyone's vndb profiles, then sum up votes on their vn lists, and then calculate which vns have better average/median/total/weighted average scores.

Bookmarked and ready to go! This awesome list will do for the rest of my life, and if not, enough time to have more awesome VNs translated and ready for us readers :)

Glad that you liked it~

Over 1100  views, huh. I wonder how many of them decided to read something from here~