50 translated VNs you should read before you die

Kaguya

41 minutes ago, Forgetful Frank said:

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check them out first! ^_^

They're both not what I'd recommend for someone whose VN lists consists of Kono Oozora, though they're good stories.

Planetarian is valid, but I'm kinda eeeh on Eden for you. Personally, I'd take a look at Symphonic Rain if you want a romance story with good drama (and don't mind poor graphics), Kara no Shoujo if you'd like mystery, Phenomeno if you want to be spooked, Grisaia if you want a wish-fulfillment game, Hanachirasu for a revenge story, Ayakashibito for action, Remember11 if you want to think and Hoshimemo if you want a romance story that's not quite as heavy as SR.

That said, you should always read whatever picks your interest. Both of the games Dergonu suggested are solid short visual novels that are worth a try. Just go with whatever you want to, I guess. 

56 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

They're both not what I'd recommend for someone whose VN lists consists of Kono Oozora, though they're good stories.

Planetarian is valid, but I'm kinda eeeh on Eden for you. Personally, I'd take a look at Symphonic Rain if you want a romance story with good drama (and don't mind poor graphics), Kara no Shoujo if you'd like mystery, Phenomeno if you want to be spooked, Grisaia if you want a wish-fulfillment game, Hanachirasu for a revenge story, Ayakashibito for action, Remember11 if you want to think and Hoshimemo if you want a romance story that's not quite as heavy as SR.

That said, you should always read whatever picks your interest. Both of the games Dergonu suggested are solid short visual novels that are worth a try. Just go with whatever you want to, I guess. 

Thank you for you recommendations also! Do you mind if I ask why you wouldn't recommend those two VN's because my list only consists of that currently? What's 'eeeh' about Eden? Ahahaha!

I'm going to check up on all of them though so thanks for giving me your input also. ^_^

2 hours ago, Forgetful Frank said:

Thank you for you recommendations also! Do you mind if I ask why you wouldn't recommend those two VN's because my list only consists of that currently? What's 'eeeh' about Eden? Ahahaha!

I'm going to check up on all of them though so thanks for giving me your input also. ^_^

Well I can't speak for Kaguya-Senpai but I think just considering what kind of visual novel Kono oozora is compared to the story in Eden its not quite ... Well, it's a very different atmosphere. Eden is a little more heavy, it has a military theme making it very different from the moe feel you get from kono oozora, its a kinetic novel, which means no choices and no routes, but at the same time it still uses a lot of humor and romance. It's kind of an odd blend, but its fantastic nontheless.

Personally I recommended both because they are a little shorter, I know Kono oozora takes a lot of time to go through, and a lot of the titles on this list are fairly long and time consuming. A backlog can quickly fill up when reading VN's, and if they are all long, time consuming titles you could end up being a little discouraged.

I'd say take Kaguya's recommendations and add mine in second :P All the novels on this list are awesome, so you can't go wrong with any of them. Just pick a genre you like and go nuts basically.

3 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Well I can't speak for Kaguya-Senpai but I think just considering what kind of visual novel Kono oozora is compared to the story in Eden its not quite ... Well, it's a very different atmosphere. Eden is a little more heavy, it has a military theme making it very different from the moe feel you get from kono oozora, its a kinetic novel, which means no choices and no routes, but at the same time it still uses a lot of humor and romance. It's kind of an odd blend, but its fantastic nontheless.

Personally I recommended both because they are a little shorter, I know Kono oozora takes a lot of time to go through, and a lot of the titles on this list are fairly long and time consuming. A backlog can quickly fill up when reading VN's, and if they are all long, time consuming titles you could end up being a little discouraged.

I'd say take Kaguya's recommendations and add mine in second :P All the novels on this list are awesome, so you can't go wrong with any of them. Just pick a genre you like and go nuts basically.

I see! Well I'll take both of your advice, so thank you for that. ^_^

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2016 at 2:16 PM, Mkilbride said:

Damn, saw this topic, wanting some new VNs to read, and was hopeful.

Sadly I've already ready 95% of these. The other 5% I'm looking into or don't like. Ah well.

I'm in a similar situation.  Roughly 95% of the list I've either read through already, in progress or are on my backlist and just needs a click to open the program.  There's a few others that fit different reasons, but that's too many to list.  But I might check out Phenomeno.  I've been a fan of the artist ever since I first saw Serial Experiments Lain.

5 minutes ago, Mistearea said:

I'm in a similar situation.  Roughly 95% of the list I've either read through already, in progress or are on my backlist and just needs a click to open the program.  There's a few others that fit different reasons, but that's too many to list.  But I might check out Phenomeno.  I've been a fan of the artist ever since I first saw Serial Experiments Lain.

Phenomeno is super short, which is a turn off for some people, but it's one of my favorite shorts by Nitroplus, haha. It's one of the VNs on this list I'd put pretty high, as far as recommendations go.

4 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

Phenomeno is super short, which is a turn off for some people, but it's one of my favorite shorts by Nitroplus, haha. It's one of the VNs on this list I'd put pretty high, as far as recommendations go.

Considering how many I'm going through right now(last I counted, it was three) short is a major plus right now.  So with that, you basically just solidified it's spot for me.  Now I just gotta find it.  Thanks for the endorsement, mate.

1 hour ago, C.E. said:

Hello, I began to study english for reading VNs translated into English and still know it not good enough. Which VNs of this list have the easiest and easier English than others ? Thanks in advance.

Hello!

Hm. You'll want to stay away from titles with philosophy or intricate battle scenes, I guess. Maybe try out Planetarian or Deardrops. They're far from my favorite and my memory on the two is a bit foggy, but their english should be alright.

8 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

Hello!

Hm. You'll want to stay away from titles with philosophy or intricate battle scenes, I guess. Maybe try out Planetarian or Deardrops. They're far from my favorite and my memory on the two is a bit foggy, but their english should be alright.

Maybe something else?

2 hours ago, C.E. said:

Hello, I began to study english for reading VNs translated into English and still know it not good enough. Which VNs of this list have the easiest and easier English than others ? Thanks in advance.

Maybe you can try Narcissu. I think the level of English for ef may be a little difficult for someone someone who is learning though (if memory serves). 

On 16/10/2016 at 11:58 AM, C.E. said:

Well, from my short experience: none of them have a Basic english level that you can easily understand, but at least try VNs with Subjects you already know. For instance: Hoshimemo uses Astrology terms, Kono oozora Aerodinamic and Physics terms. If you already know some terminology related to those subjects you could try with those first while improving your english.

And by the way... Koichoco and Majikoi are great titles that seemed to me to have a non complicated english.

Hope this results useful !:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Okarin said:

I demand Virtue's Last Reward in there. Releasing soon in PC, where it will be truly appreciated, I think.

You could remove crap like Sharin no Kuni or Yume Miru Kusuri to make room :mare:

I will make some changes to the list somewhat soon, as it hasn't been updated for over a year now. 

Virtue's last reward won't make it. Yume Miru Kusuri probably won't either.

I'd keep Sharin over most titles of this list. Definitely over G-Senjou. 

• 4 weeks later...

I started a few years ago playing vn on your list, and yersterday, I finished the list. 

Tier 1

Symphonic Rain, Sharin no Kuni, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Ever 17, Remember 11, Rewrite, Rose Gun Days, Little busters !, Clannad, Danganronpa.

I really recommend the vn of this list, especially Ever 17 (best vn I've done so far) and 07th expansion vn. You should watch the anime for Clannad, because it's really well done.

Tier 2

CHAOS; HEAD, Cross channel, G-Senjou no Maou, Majikoi, Swan Song, Kara no Shoujo, Hoshizora no Memoria, Katawa Shoujo (:wub:), Muv Luv Alternative, I/O, Deardrops, Higanbana, Ef

(I found MLA so overrated tho, but I don't really like action-oriented vn, so yeah)

Tier 3

Katahane, Planetarian, Narcissu, Comyu, Grisaia no Kajitsu

Tier 4

Sekien no Inganock, Eien no Aselia, Dysfunctional Systems, Kikokugai- The Cyber Slayer, Eden.

Shitty tier

Tsukihime : Characters are bad, music and art are horrible.

Fate/Stay night : Because it's so overrated, even more than muvluv and steins;gate.

Utawarumono 

Ugly tier

Zanmatasei Demonbane, YU-NO : seriously, I find the art so outdated that I can't possibly enjoy these vn.

Only worth for the gameplay tier

Eien no Aselia, Sengoku Rance (ok for the sex too), Daibanchou.

Other vn that I can't talk about

Forest, Steins; Gate, Fault: Milestone (1 & 2), World End Economica, Hanachirasu, Ayakashibito.

You probably don't care at all about my point of view, but I wanted to give it anyway.

Sorry, but I really think that to make a "top X", you have to have had read 30 or 40 VNs at least, and some long ones. And it takes years.

Then taste is also factored in, of course. But memorable VNs tend to stay memorable.

The outdated art is a poor argument, I feel, because trying old games (that probably were hits on their day) will give you a wider perspective of the history and evolution of VNs.