50 translated VNs you should read before you die

Kaguya

Great list pal. Seems like my tastes werent that off seeing as i have already played several of those. 

Ill try checking them all. Ahh, and the other thing. Its SO true that you can miss it when it comes to Key games.

Its like Ghibli studio movies. 

Damn, their nakige quality is superb. 

Great list pal. Seems like my tastes werent that off seeing as i have already played several of those. 

Ill try checking them all. Ahh, and the other thing. Its SO true that you can miss it when it comes to Key games.

Its like Ghibli studio movies. 

Damn, their nakige quality is superb. 

Yep, they make awesome nakiges.

Someone I know linked me in this. Famous Ya-chin is famous.

Yaay, Yu-chin entered here, even if just for a few moments. Making this list was totally worth it~

Considering the abysmal number of VNs that are even translated into English, it's not too surprising to report that you've pretty much listed all the non-nukige titles out there. Sure, you said you left out a few with gameplay, but even if you did include them, as well as the translated nukige, I'm doubtful that the number of titles would even reach 200. So you basically listed 1/4 of the games available to players who can't speak Japanese and said "You should play this before you die". 

Imagine me listing 1/4 of the non-nukige titles ever released in Japanese and said "You should play this before you die". I'd probably be slapped.

I like your determination to list up these titles, but what I would REALLY recommend is make a list of 20 (or even 10 if you're gutsy) titles regardless of whether it is translated or not and present those. If you played 200 games already, I'd assume that you already played the more famous titles, and have your "favorite titles" among those. 

That's pretty much what I do on my review site as I tag the posts with "Highly Recommended by Joyjason", instead of listing all the titles that I found decent; that would take forever, and even more for the audience to try each and every one of them. 

What good is it to present translated titles? A decent player of VNs would know which one's worth his time and which one isn't merely with reviews, discussions regarding the respective title, or even first impressions. 

tl;dr? Good effort you have here, but it's not too different from what every other non-Japanese VN player does. 

Being the more privileged players who can get access to non-translated novels in addition to being able to play them, I feel as if it's MUCH more of benefit to both the presenter and audience if you can encourage the learning of Japanese to play the non-translated novels. After all, many of the titles that's truly worth dying for are out of reach by a large majority of the playerbase. 

Just my two cents. 

Imagine me listing 1/4 of the non-nukige titles ever released in Japanese and said "You should play this before you die". I'd probably be slapped.

I like your determination to list up these titles, but what I would REALLY recommend is make a list of 20 (or even 10 if you're gutsy) titles regardless of whether it is translated or not and present those. If you played 200 games already, I'd assume that you already played the more famous titles, and have your "favorite titles" among those. 

Are you willing to put your keyboard where your mouth's at ;)?

What good is it to present translated titles? A decent player of VNs would know which one's worth his time and which one isn't merely with reviews, discussions regarding the respective title, or even first impressions. 

You would be surprised to know how much people out there aren't really good with information gathering and such, or just don't take the time to do it. That list is meant for them, basically.

There's the fact that you can probably assume translated titles have a higher ratio of good VNs, since people usually don't bother with translating crap. 1/4th is probably still too much, but it's not absurd.

I'm really glad you had all four of Ryukishi07's masterpieces there or else I would have done something regrettable.

I recommend them to anyone of any age. The complexity of thematic concepts and conflicting ideas within present you with a heartwarming and satisfying experience.

Can't wait for Rose Guns Days S2 to be translated ;-;

I'm really glad you had all four of Ryukishi07's masterpieces there or else I would have done something regrettable.

I recommend them to anyone of any age. The complexity of thematic concepts and conflicting ideas within present you with a heartwarming and satisfying experience.

Can't wait for Rose Guns Days S2 to be translated ;-;

How could I not have them? They're all incredibly awesome ;)

I can't wait for Rose Guns Days 2 to be translated either. Though I heard that the second night of higanbana is almost finished.

I would rather read a list of great NON translated games in ADITTION to this one. Otherwise it would be like punching random strangers 

in the gut just for fun and kicks. I mean im aware that we only get to taste a really small amount of everything japan has to offer. But i dont 

like people rubbing salt on my wounds just because. 

Then again, im pretty sure that everyone who has played at least a couple of VNs has noticed that without learning the language we 

are pretty much stuck with whatever is translated. So no bigs insights in your comment pal. Just saying.

Great list, some really great games here. I have read about half, the other half are on my "To Read" list. Only a few concerns. Concern one, you don't have Osadai (My Girlfriend is the President on here). I loved that game, was really light hearted and fun. May just be personal preference but it's one of my favorites. Concern number 2...Is Flyable Heart translated? I saw it a good while back and was very interested, but according to VNDB the patch is not out yet. If it is translated I still have the raw files on my computer, and would appreciate a point in the right direction to find the patch. Thanks in advance.

Great list, some really great games here. I have read about half, the other half are on my "To Read" list. Only a few concerns. Concern one, you don't have Osadai (My Girlfriend is the President on here). I loved that game, was really light hearted and fun. May just be personal preference but it's one of my favorites. Concern number 2...Is Flyable Heart translated? I saw it a good while back and was very interested, but according to VNDB the patch is not out yet. If it is translated I still have the raw files on my computer, and would appreciate a point in the right direction to find the patch. Thanks in advance.

From what i've heard there's a translation but it's not very good so there's a retranslation in the works.

That is basically the case. There is indeed a re-translation project for it.

I knew about the current translation, but not even VNDB had the original translation listed. Though if I'm not mistaken VNDB decided to remove status on bad/machine translations from their site a while back. That may be the case. Guess I'll continue to wait for the re translation, oh well.

I knew about the current translation, but not even VNDB had the original translation listed. Though if I'm not mistaken VNDB decided to remove status on bad/machine translations from their site a while back. That may be the case. Guess I'll continue to wait for the re translation, oh well.

That is also true, it was removed for that reason.

That's a strong list. Thanks for taking the time and thought to put it together. There was a couple of things on there that wasn't on my radar.

If this list could help you to recharge your VN backlog, I'm happy~

I realize I'm beating a dead bathorse here, but, again, congrats to Kaguya.  Since lunchtime today, this thread has gained another 900 views.  Well done, sir!

Over 5500 views now. I never expected this thread to get so many visualizations. Thank you again for blogging it~

Great list. It saddens me to say that I have only played 11 of the VN's on this list, and only completed 8 of them. I plan to change that once I get the chance very soon.

Great~ Gotta read 'em all. I'm sure that after some time you'll be a VN master as well.

Since the first day you posted this Kaguya, I've been powering through visual novels in my free time.  Out of those 50, I have 39 of them done (that's including ones that I had done before you posted the list).  My eyes hurt, both from staring at a screen, and the tears that have escaped my eyes.

Since the first day you posted this Kaguya, I've been powering through visual novels in my free time.  Out of those 50, I have 39 of them done (that's including ones that I had done before you posted the list).  My eyes hurt, both from staring at a screen, and the tears that have escaped my eyes.

There is no greater compliment than this!