50 translated VNs you should read before you die

Kaguya

Story is decent and twists are sometimes mindblowing, also text translation itself is quite good. Repetitive? Did you read Kagetsu Tohya or Ever17? That's what you call "REPETITIVE" :) And if play 999 the way it supposed (not reading 999 The Novel), on NDS, it delivers quite a lot, nice amount of decent puzzles (but not insane hard like were some in VLR).

The concept (or ideas) may be intriguing, but it’s the “how” not the “what” which matters in most cases. Which is why cliché’d stories can still sell millions, but if you can’t write you can have the best story ideas in the world and it won’t matter. Plot twists don’t mean anything unless you’re engaged in the story in the first place.

Eh, the puzzles were okay but considering the puzzle to text ratio, it can’t sustain interest by itself.

Ever 17 is incredibly boring in my opinion, but some people enjoy it. Why would some people enjoy Ever 17 more than 999 if they contain the same flaws concerning repetition and filler? The world, the characters, the prose/translation. Which comes back to my point that there are reasons people may like these games more than 999.

So if you read VN, you actually should be prepared for tons of text, which is not relevant/have almost no impact and occupying 50% of the novel :) So why complain about 999 in having all that, while all other VN are folliwing this scheme so strictly, that I even think this is canonical to be a VN :)

To demonstrate there are reasons for people not liking the game. I'm very picky about writing style, and 999 is on the list of games I wouldn't touch with somebody else's ten-foot barge pole. Ever 17 is on there as well. Same with Kira Kira. I can add more flaws to 999 if you want - like its over the top drama, and the way it slows down pacing during high Adrenalin moments thanks in part to narration. This for me is counter-intuitive. You'll be happy to note that these flaws aren't replicated in all VNs, and so while there may never be a VN I'm ecstatic about, it does mean there are some VNs I dislike more than others ;)

At the end of the day people have their own opinions for forming their list.

Alright, I'll add the commentaries after I removed everything I want to remove (meaning, when we get 8 new good EN VNs. It's reasonable, right?)

And thus in 2018, when everyone will have learned japanese already, this list shall be complete :holo:

And thus in 2018, when everyone will have learned japanese already, this list shall be complete :holo:

Out of the currently being-tld list, as long as the translation is not awful, I'll definitely add:

Seinarukana, Gakhtun, Kara no Shoujo 2, the rest of the Grisaia series, Bokuten.

I'll possibly add some rance games too. That and Astral Air/Iritodori no Sekai. Don't actually like favorite, so we'll see.

...I estimate 2016!

Out of the currently being-tld list, as long as the translation is not awful, I'll definitely add:

Seinarukana, Gakhtun, Kara no Shoujo 2, the rest of the Grisaia series, Bokuten.

Again, seems better not add sequels, but just mention them in the description.

The concept (or ideas) may be intriguing, but it’s the “how” not the “what” which matters in most cases. Which is why cliché’d stories can still sell millions, but if you can’t write you can have the best story ideas in the world and it won’t matter. Plot twists don’t mean anything unless you’re engaged in the story in the first place.

Everyone is different, when it comes to text. Someone want at least Hemingway quality text, while others are okay with Google Translate... And only common in this approach remains story and images... For such matters in normal fiction exists editors and quality checkers, while in VN... Well...

You'll be happy to note that these flaws aren't replicated in all VNs, and so while there may never be a VN I'm ecstatic about, it does mean there are some VNs I dislike more than others ;)

I am not a fan of 999 or Ever17 to defend that. But I am sure even in VN you're ecstatic (btw, which ones?) exist lot of unnecessary text...

I'm pretty sure If My Heart had Wings has native gamepad support. Most VNs using that engine do. 

For all others, there is JoyToKey or Xpadder. They should give you pretty close to full control over any VN with a gamepad.

Cool. I mapped the only key I need: A.

Now If I play through rewrite I can do so with max comfort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll possibly add some rance games too. That and Astral Air/Iritodori no Sekai. Don't actually like favorite, so we'll see.

...I estimate 2016!

I cannot wait for Seinarukana and if Mangagamer gets rid of their DRM then I also am looking forward to Gahkthun and the sequel to Kara no Shoujo. Is Bokuten actually supposed to be any good?

If I might make a suggestion but in order to free up space if you have a game like Grisaia no Kajitsu on there perhaps you should just keep the first game in a connected series on the list (mention and link the sequels) instead of putting them all separately. This way you can put more variety on your list? Just a suggestion.

I cannot wait for Seinarukana and if Mangagamer gets rid of their DRM then I also am looking forward to Gahkthun and the sequel to Kara no Shoujo. Is Bokuten actually supposed to be any good?

If I might make a suggestion but in order to free up space if you have a game like Grisaia no Kajitsu on there perhaps you should just keep the first game in a connected series on the list (mention and link the sequels) instead of putting them all separately. This way you can put more variety on your list? Just a suggestion.

Pretty sure I did that already. Exceptions being MLA (because the first game is just a piece of crap and I didn't even want to mention it) and fate H/A (I'll fix it next time I edit the list).

Not putting games belonging to the same series but separate from each other in the same entry, though. No way I'm merging Inganock and Sharnoth, or Chaos Head and Steins Gate. 

Pretty sure I did that already. Exceptions being MLA (because the first game is just a piece of crap and I didn't even want to mention it) and fate H/A (I'll fix it next time I edit the list).

Not putting games belonging to the same series but separate from each other in the same entry, though. No way I'm merging Inganock and Sharnoth, or Chaos Head and Steins Gate. 

I mainly meant true sequels...where the cast of characters in the first game are main characters in the second as well. 

• 2 months later...

Alright, deleted the two previous posts and decided to join all of them here. 

There have been 3 small updates today-

1-ditched Clannad for Demonbane on the list.

2- someone made me realize Kagetsu Tohya still had its own entry. Removed it and put Kichikuou Rance there.

3- Removed Aoishiro and put Kikokugai there instead.

But you already have Sengoku Rance there, so this would be another game in same serie.

And you still have that stupid Fate Hollow Ataraxia as well, while we already spoke time ago that it should be removed...

Done. Those two got replaced by Eden and Fault.

Clannad not being there is like Pokemon without Pikachu...... well maybe that's a good thing since it's unique and I get to see some underrated VNs get on the top of that list and get some recognition.

I actually just hold the opinion that it's a bad game. Still, thanks for the excuse. I'll use it to other people now.

...Aww. I just blew it, didn't I?

I have read through, 47/50 of the visual novels listed here.  The only 3 I have not read are ef which I plan on reading later this year, and the two I REFUSE to read, Kira Kira and School Days.  Why?  All of the characters in School Days disgust me, and all of the characters in Kira Kira disgust me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 16.1.2016 at 5:41 PM, Forgetful Frank said:

Thanks a lot for putting in the time and effort into writing this list. As someone who is new to VN's, this is very helpful to me.

Once I'm done with my current VN's I'm definitely going to make a start on this list. ^_^

Yeah this list is phenomenal.

Obviously they are all great but I'd strongly recommend going through Eden* and Planetarian. It's two of the shorter titles in the list, and both have just fantastic stories.