50 translated VNs you should read before you die

Kaguya

Thank you so much sir.I'm kinda confused why your reply didn't appear in my notification tho o.O

I'll check those things out and is it okay and may i ask,among this list that you made,what can you heavily suggest for me?Three-five titles atleast if you dont mind :)

• 2 weeks later...

A pretty well made list. Have to say I kinda disagree with some of the ranks of the choices, but the ones you included shows you pretty much know what yer talking about thus I guess the differences lie in personal taste (ie the more mature but far fetched Cross Channel vs the more *realistic yet shounen Steins Gate(in my mind Steins Gate= Cross Channel story+YU NO(gameplay=story)= better than both games imo due to how well it cmbines elements of both titles).

One of the choices I totally agree on (and even think should have been even higher) is Forest. Its friggin insane how underatted it is indeed.....Sure its art and setting might be subpar to other Liarsoft titles and other VNs (?) in generall, but the way its structured (requiring some brains to figure wth is happening(possibly more than 1 playthroughs too) is something that should be respectable, and not accounted on *bad writing* (lol)).

And one I disagree is Yume Miru Kusuri, for while it is pretty *strong* at times, its a very weak VN overall, prolly deserving a 6-7 overall due to how it promises a realistic approach and yet fails to deliver mid story.

And ofc I dont agree on MLA's rank, but you did include it in the list. Sure you need to play 2 very bad vns to enjoy it (ML and MLU) + 50% of the time yer dealing with shitty charcters, but the setting is UNIQUE. Its scale is unique, its character base is also unique and ofc, its production values are unique too. Overall, I dun even know if it should be named a VN and not a sub genre, since it differs quite a bit from VNs. (Thats to say, for half its content (the epic half) the rest is about as shit as the 2 previous vns were (ML and MLU).

Other *slight disaggreement* lies in yer list structure, but overall your choices are indeed well thought and do represent the better part of *humane* VNs.

Versus YMK, I d propose Sengoku Rance. Now I d prolly put it at rank 50(barely mind ya), mostly cause its comedy and not being related to the rest,with its pretty weak story and shallow characters. BUT its SLG vn elements shouldnt be ignored, how you can get flags by either expanding slow or fast, and even HOW you do it, and is the admirable point of this game. I d wish more serious VNs would have such gameplay based flags.. Hell I looked at a lot of SLG vns and yet NOTHING Beats SR. NOTHING. Its prolly the best, BY FAR SLG VN that exists so far, with the rest unable to combine story with conquest as good as it does. Overall, unfortunately a genious Strategy vn, worthy of being talked about in non vn threads as one of the best strategies in existance. T_T lawl....

A pretty well made list. Have to say I kinda disagree with some of the ranks of the choices, but the ones you included shows you pretty much know what yer talking about thus I guess the differences lie in personal taste (ie the more mature but far fetched Cross Channel vs the more *realistic yet shounen Steins Gate(in my mind Steins Gate= Cross Channel story+YU NO(gameplay=story)= better than both games imo due to how well it cmbines elements of both titles).

One of the choices I totally agree on (and even think should have been even higher) is Forest. Its friggin insane how underatted it is indeed.....Sure its art and setting might be subpar to other Liarsoft titles and other VNs (?) in generall, but the way its structured (requiring some brains to figure wth is happening(possibly more than 1 playthroughs too) is something that should be respectable, and not accounted on *bad writing* (lol)).

And one I disagree is Yume Miru Kusuri, for while it is pretty *strong* at times, its a very weak VN overall, prolly deserving a 6-7 overall due to how it promises a realistic approach and yet fails to deliver mid story.

And ofc I dont agree on MLA's rank, but you did include it in the list. Sure you need to play 2 very bad vns to enjoy it (ML and MLU) + 50% of the time yer dealing with shitty charcters, but the setting is UNIQUE. Its scale is unique, its character base is also unique and ofc, its production values are unique too. Overall, I dun even know if it should be named a VN and not a sub genre, since it differs quite a bit from VNs. (Thats to say, for half its content (the epic half) the rest is about as shit as the 2 previous vns were (ML and MLU).

Other *slight disaggreement* lies in yer list structure, but overall your choices are indeed well thought and do represent the better part of *humane* VNs.

Versus YMK, I d propose Sengoku Rance. Now I d prolly put it at rank 50(barely mind ya), mostly cause its comedy and not being related to the rest,with its pretty weak story and shallow characters. BUT its SLG vn elements shouldnt be ignored, how you can get flags by either expanding slow or fast, and even HOW you do it, and is the admirable point of this game. I d wish more serious VNs would have such gameplay based flags.. Hell I looked at a lot of SLG vns and yet NOTHING Beats SR. NOTHING. Its prolly the best, BY FAR SLG VN that exists so far, with the rest unable to combine story with conquest as good as it does. Overall, unfortunately a genious Strategy vn, worthy of being talked about in non vn threads as one of the best strategies in existance. T_T lawl....

I actually didn't rank anything. If you read what I said before the list, you'll see that the VNs are not in their respective rankings. I also didn't put gameplay VNs here (well, some of them have a few, but not much). In my version 2.0 of this list (with console and gameplay VNs), I did put sengoku rance~

Flyable Heart and Kimi no Nagori wa Shizuka Yurete being on this list is a little heartbreaking. That's cruel, getting people's hopes up like that. The machine translations available are so bad that you may as well say there aren't any real TLs available. 

I read those in jp, so I didn't know about this.

I'll fix it soon enough. Thanks for the feedback. 

• 2 weeks later...