What are some OELVN studios?

Happiness+

Wow, that's a big topic... There's many, although most of them are small and there are dozens of circles that pretty much came together for a single project and never produced a VN after that. Also, many OELVN labels are pretty much a single person, making their own VNs with help of commissioned artists, programmers etc (you'll find Hanako Games, Razzart or ebi-hime in this category, even though they have a major impact on the EVN scene). If you check out the list of Steam Homepages I've compiled lately and scan the EVN-related entries, you'll get a decent impression on what the EVN scene looks like. Watercress is not there, as they're actually not a commercial studio and don't publish on Steam, AFAIK. Most of the things I've labelled as "EVN development studios" are actually alive and working on new projects.

If you want something more specific, I would most likely point to Love in Space (Sunrider and Shining Song Starnova people) and PixelFade (Ace Academy and Crystalline) as biggest and most active EVN studios. There are some notable aspiring teams, like yuri-focused Studio Elan, but they have to yet release a full game. You also have ecchi factories such as Dharker or Winged Cloud, although the latter really seems to be dying out. It's strange, as the Sakura series must've been super-successful commercially, but both their output and marketing are absolutely anemic nowadays.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Alienworks have been around for awhile but haven't finished what was supposed to be their debut VN (they ended up releasing other VNs first), The Human Reignition Project, which I really want to read. I thought the project was dead, but I guess that put out a new demo just last month. Hopefully that means they're nearing completion.

3 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

There's many, although most of them are small and there are dozens of circles that pretty much came together for a single project and never produced a VN after that.

Yeah, that’s why I was so surprised that Watercress has been around since 2014. I am looking for studios like WaterCress to do business with. Ya know? 

You also have ecchi factories such as Dharker or Winged Cloud, although the latter really seems to be dying out. It's strange, as the Sakura series must've been super-successful commercially, but both their output and marketing are absolutely anemic nowadays.

Really? How does that happen, I know that Sakura series is smut like the EVN industry’s equalivalent of a micheal movie (I know you’re not American, so I wonder if the reference is lost on you.) but why would their output would be lacking if the series is selling well. Have people finally head enough of their smut? 😂

I would most likely point to Love in Space (Sunrider and Shining Song Starnova people) and PixelFade (Ace Academy and Crystalline) as biggest and most active EVN studios

Yeah, I define studio as more than one person. So looks like two, WaterCress and Love in Space, I do business with.  Am I wrong in my assessment @Plk_Lesiak?

9 hours ago, tahu157 said:

Alienworks have been around for awhile but haven't finished what was supposed to be their debut VN (they ended up releasing other VNs first), The Human Reignition Project, which I really want to read. I thought the project was dead, but I guess that put out a new demo just last month. Hopefully that means they're nearing completion.

Yeah, they're alive, but some Alienwork people also got heavily involved in other projects, like Studio Elan... It might still be a while. :P

7 hours ago, Happiness+ said:

Really? How does that happen, I know that Sakura series is smut like the EVN industry’s equalivalent of a micheal movie (I know you’re not American, so I wonder if the reference is lost on you.) but why would their output would be lacking if the series is selling well. Have people finally head enough of their smut? 😂

I think just their quality first going stale and then dropping consistently was a bit too much even for their fans to swallow (I wrote a lot on how they devolved in the "Shavelware Adventures" posts on my blog). Basically, the Sakura games only got shorter, dumber and more basic over time, so even the good art couldn't save them. Maybe the studio's founder earned enough money to retire and just doesn't care anymore? We can only guess. :] 

And be sure that the scourge of Michael Bay movies is felt all around the world. :P

Yeah, I define studio as more than one person. So looks like two, WaterCress and Love in Space, I do business with.  Am I wrong in my assessment @Plk_Lesiak?

Well, not sure what kind of business you're thinking of, but Watercress probably have little to no money to make deals with people (their jokes about "paying in exposure" weren't that far from the truth). In general, the EVN studios are still universally small companies that will keep a close watch on their resources. If you want to work with them in some capacity, you might need to approach many to make it sustainable (not that I know much about business, but that's my general impression). 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

8 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Watercress probably have little to no money to make deals with people (their jokes about "paying in exposure" weren't that far from the truth). In general, the EVN studios are still universally small companies that will keep a close watch on their resources. If you want to work with them in some capacity, you might need to approach many to make it sustainable (not that I know much about business, but that's my general impression). 

That’s exactly why I am approaching them. I just want to work with them, that’s all.