Finally here...

Katatsumuri

Hi everyone. 

While I've been roaming fuwanovel as a guest for a long time now, I wasn't until very (very) recently that I joined.

So, here I am.

I've been reading VNs for almost 1.5 years now, starting with Fate/stay night back in February 2012, and I can safely say that... I love them.

When it comes to VNs, the type really doesn't matter (although I usually stay away from Nukige) as long as it is written well, or at least good

enough for me to enjoy it. I'll read even the ones considered "Cliché´" with a smile (although I don't like Imouto routes much, so that's the one thing that

even I will have trouble reading). For me, story is most important.

I'm something of a twisted "Purist", meaning that I want things with a large amount of content. For example, a VN that started of as an eroge, but later got an all-ages adaptation that maybe added an extra route at the expense of the H-scenes. I will choose the 18+ version simply because It's has nothing "removed" from it. similarly, updated re-releases are fine, as long as there are no major changes.

Some of my interests besides VNs are: Reading "real" printed books, watching anime (and by extension, reading manga), listening to music (can be almost anything, as long as it sounds "good" to my ears), analyzing tropes in literature (including VNs) and mostly fooling around at the computer.

Some of my all-time favorites are:

Fate/stay night: The first one I ever read, and the one that got me interested in VNs in the first place.  Superb atmosphere and characters, coupled with a writing style that quickly got me hooked, I also consider it the best Fantasy story I have ever read.

Ef - A fairy tale of the two: In short, I came for the general outlook, stayed because of a few things... ungodly amounts of (extremely beautiful) event CGs, great music, and (maybe this is just me) a somehow very noticeable atmosphere of melancholy and general... depression.

G-senjou no Maou: Story is exciting, the true ending is really beautiful, great characters, a very nice art style and last but DEFINITELY not least, a soundtrack that sounds waaaaaaaay too good.

Katahane: Nothing in it really stands out at first glance, but the mood (mood and atmosphere are really important to me, as you might've already noticed) is great, and it doesn't really have any weak points. The constant switching of "main character" is also a really great concept.

Those are only some of my favorites, but I didn't mention many of them, lest this list might get a lot longer.

Any VN tips would be greatly appreciated. 

So, this turned out a bit longer than I expected... Well, that is all.

Well, I do plan to keep doing what I am already doing, except that the only different is that I will now be commenting...

And as an answer to your recommendation, I have already read Tsukihime (I think it was the third one I read) and as with Fate/stay night, I loved it, although the Artwork left a little more to be desired... But, It's still amazing considering that it's a Doujin game.

Welcome to the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here.

I'm starting Katahane today also, by what you said it seems quite interesting and the mood it creates is pretty relaxing from what i've seen so far.

Is there any other VN you've played besides those you listed?

While the Shirohane chapter is fairly relaxing and is pretty good, the Kurohane chapter is going in the opposite direction (except that it's still good, of course). And by that I mean that in Kurohane, the mood is for the most part... excitement and death, I suppose? Anyways, the Kurohane chapter has the best story, while the shirohane capter has the best atmosphere.

The VNs I have read (or is in the process of reading) are:

A profile

Canvas 2

Da Capo (both I and II)

Deardrops

EF - a fairytale of the two

Fate/stay night

Grisaia no Kajitsu

G-senjou no maou

Hinatabokko

Hoshizora no memoria

Kamidori Alchemy meister

Kanon

Katahane

Katawa shoujo

Kira kira

Koihime Musou (don't remember the rest of the name)

Princess waltz

Sharin no kuni - himawari no shoujo

shuffle

snow sakura

Soul link

suika

tears to tiara

tsukihime

Utawarerumono

Wind -a breath of heart-

I think I might've forgotten maybe one or two though. And maybe, I should've spoilermarked this to save space...

Fate/stay night: The first one I ever read, and the one that got me interested in VNs in the first place.  Superb atmosphere and characters, coupled with a writing style that quickly got me hooked, I also consider it the best Fantasy story I have ever read.

Ef - A fairy tale of the two: In short, I came for the general outlook, stayed because of a few things... ungodly amounts of (extremely beautiful) event CGs, great music, and (maybe this is just me) a somehow very noticeable atmosphere of melancholy and general... depression.

G-senjou no Maou: Story is exciting, the true ending is really beautiful, great characters, a very nice art style and last but DEFINITELY not least, a soundtrack that sounds waaaaaaaay too good.

Katahane: Nothing in it really stands out at first glance, but the mood (mood and atmosphere are really important to me, as you might've already noticed) is great, and it doesn't really have any weak points. The constant switching of "main character" is also a really great concept.

Those are only some of my favorites, but I didn't mention many of them, lest this list might get a lot longer.

Any VN tips would be greatly appreciated. 

So, this turned out a bit longer than I expected... Well, that is all.

Well, we should be friends forever.  You have impeccable taste.  

PS: Fate/Stay Night was my second VN, and it was a game-changer. I can -- and have -- waxed poetic about it for many an hour. Did you ever watch the "prequel" anime, Fate/Zero?  Did you like it?

I'm really glad to see you jumping onto the forums! Welcome!  When you say that you've hovered around Fuwanovel for a while, was it around the Visual Novel Aer blog? Just the main (download) site? 

^I'll note that fate/zero was originally an LN, and that it has a translation (which I haven't read, huh...).

Also, I'll just do the usual and recommend Symphonic Rain. It's great is so many ways, artstyle, music, story, characters...

I recommend you set up a vndb profile while it's not too late and hard to fill in every vn you've read, as well :P

I really liked Fate/zero since it provided me with so many moments of "Ah, that explains everything!". It also gave me way to many reasons to re-read F/SN. If you haven't, re-read at least the Fate route (I really, really like that route ;D ) and make a conscious effort to look for continuity. It's definetly worth it.

When I wrote that I've been roaming the site for some time, I meant it all, but especially the main blog and the translation section of the forums. It's only recently that I've started to look at the other parts and sections.

As you might've already noticed, I haven't really gotten around to reading any all-ages yet (I blame the fact that I couldn't get Clannad to work, and I really wanted to start with Clannad on the all-ages side. Now, I think I'll start with Mahou Tsukai no Yoru instead...) but I think that I'll read symphonic Rain right after MTnY.

Addendum: Zakamutt, your profile-pic seems really familiar for some reason. Could you please refresh my memory and tell me where it is from?