[project] Sakura no Kisetsu Ren'py remake project

adamstan

Today I did Mio's h-scene. I think it's one of the better sex scenes in this VN (together with Ruri's), but translating h-scenes is nightmare in general. I feel sorry for whoever will have to edit that :P

Thankfully, scenes in this game are short, and just one per heroine.

Edited by adamstan

And Aki's H-scene is done. 97%

Now what is left is Seia's and Meimi's h-scenes, and short epilogues that accompany final CGs, right before credits.

I don't like Seia's h-scene too much - it's perhaps at 7th place out of 8 - with the last place belonging to Shouko ;)

It feels like this scene exists only to satisfy readers with nun fetish :PI mean, the scene itself isn't that much different from all the others, and it even features some nice interactions, but the whole "fucking girl wearing nun robes in abandoned church" setting turns me off.

Edited by adamstan

Big news!

Today I reached the end of the script, and that means, that first retranslation phase is completed :100:.

SAKU-P.png

Now I'd like to check first few chapters once more, and then hand it over to the editor. @Plk_Lesiak - would you like to try editing it?

In the meantime I'll try to insert Japanese text into Renpy thus making JP Renpy version. And then, when English text is completed, I'll add it.

Also, I'll try once more to make upscaled/smoothed set of images, but this time I'll do this manually, just recoloring them pixel by pixel - in order to retain original's pixel art feeling. Those automatically smoothed images I showed earlier aren't good enough. And sometimes they're outright ugly.

Edited by adamstan

4 hours ago, adamstan said:

Also, I'll try once more to make upscaled/smoothed set of images, but this time I'll do this manually, just recoloring them pixel by pixel - in order to retain original's pixel art feeling.

Demonstration using one of the first backgrounds (Shuuji's living room)

Here's original 16 color image:

ab-01-1p.png

Here's version I did before, using automatic smoothing:

ab-01-1a.png

And here's latest version, reworked manually to convert it into 256 colors using "pencil" tool in GIMP:

ab-01-1m.png

It's quite tedious work, and I don't know if I will have enough willpower to go through all images - since each image takes few hours, and there are few hundreds of them 😮

Edited by adamstan

37 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Another experiment - using original textbox / border. That way text won't obscure images, and well - it brings more nostalgic mood ;)

What do you think?

This version, 100% — plus, like, 3% percent I had sitting around in my jacket pocket.

It solves so many problems for you. It minimizes the impact of the dithered backgrounds while also giving them visual context. It keeps character sprites from sliding to the far, far edges of the canvas (or behind their own dialogue portraits). And it just looks rad.

Restyle that Ren'py bottom nav with an 8-bit pixel font and you got yourself a winner.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:32 AM, adamstan said:

Like this? :)

Yup, something in that direction could definitely work. :) And since you won't have to worry about contrast against arbitrary backgrounds, you can remove the outline and just go with a dark color for the nav text. (Unstroked text will almost always be more legible at small point sizes.)

Inserting original text into Renpy script (which was initially built around JAST's translated version)

renpy.png

Also, I decided to leave some dithering in gradients (like the walls etc) in edited graphic assets:

ab-02-2.png

In other words - I'm increasing color palette from 16 to 256 colors (so it's like transition from EGA to VGA ;) ) but I actually don't like the look of super-smooth gradients combined with this "drawn" art style. I think that's what hurt graphics in late '90s PC VNs, like KEY's One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~. If they used some dithering to give the image some more texture, IMO it would have looked better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, adamstan said:

But I have to confess, that every time I read a translation discussion on VN-related forums, I lose a bit of confidence...

This is only natural. Just don't think about it too much. I struggle with it myself sometimes, but I don't let that discourage me.

Edited by Infernoplex
Typo

Aaand.......... the first proofreading phase is over :) Now off to the editing with it. I hope that @Plk_Lesiak makes something readable out of it :)

And in the meantime I will continue coding Japanese version and editing images for "256 color mode" ;)

Edited by adamstan

I'm still experimenting with various ways of image processing to create "256 color" versions of in-game assets. Unfortunately the method I proposed in March isn't suitable for all images that can be found in this VN, so I had to think about something else. And I tried the method that involves applying various amounts of blur to different layers, re-sharpening them using GIMP's tools, mixing and blending them to taste, and in final step converting image to 256 color mode. I think I still prefer original, but it looks promising - and since it will be switchable, there should be no problem ;)

For comparison - original 16 color assets:

sakura-16.jpg

And the same scene in the "256 color mode" using processed images:

sakura-256.jpg

At the very least, I think it looks better than Memorial Edition :P

Edited by adamstan

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes this method of blurring and resharpening gives quite nice results - it's amazing, how much those algorithms can guess. Just look how nicely that moon in the upper-right corner turned out - original 16 color:

ab-17-3.png

And edited 256 one:

ab-17-3.png

Also, while working on the images, I added flame to the bonfire in the evening school festival background:

ab-29-3.png

ab-29-3.png

• 2 months later...

Not much news from me, but the project is not dead - @Plk_Lesiak is gradually proceeding with proofreading and editing :)

But today I stumbled upon interesting thing on vndb - which further confirms my theory about common pool of assets shared between various TIARE/JAST games. Just look at this screenshot from Muchimuchi Sexy Parfait Onee-sama You which was released on Windows only (no PC98 version).

137675.jpg

And compare with this:

AB-43-2.png