[project] Sakura no Kisetsu Ren'py remake project

adamstan

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

ou probably didn't notice it when reading because it just flows under the radar how common it is :)

Nah, that was because there are two chances to reject her, and this dialogue happens at the second one. When I was aiming for her ending I obviously accepted her, and when going for others, I rejected her right away at the first choice, so I didn't get to this point.

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

"Baka" :D I am not entirely against it, though. It's a universally known term.

Yeah, it has its charm (you can almost hear it even though VN is unvoiced ;)) , but I think leaving it in would be going a bit over the top :P Also, it isn't just "BAKA" - notice that in the previous line there is also untranslated の left - "Shuu-kun no BAKA!".

Also, it's the only instance in the whole game - all other cases of "baka" are translated.

Edited by adamstan

9 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Wow! I didn't register it immediately! I thought it was a "no" as in "No, no, you are a baka!!". Had you posted the JP lines too, I would have seen it's a case of someone just romanizing it XDD

Yeah, my bad, should have posted original too:

祥子: ・・・やっぱり、鈴子ちゃんの方がいいんだ。
修司: へ?
祥子: ・・・しゅ〜君の・・・しゅ〜君の・・・
祥子: ばかぁあぁぁぁぁっっっ!!!

Edited by adamstan

I just have finished preparing graphic files - including backgrounds, cgs and sprites with side images.

sakura-cs104.png

BTW this classroom background was one of the hardest to edit. I had to manually redraw ceiling tiles, because the amount of ditheriing on them was too much for smoothing algorithms (original version below).

sakura104.png
(looks like I have to correct sprites positioning ;))

Now it's time for actual scripts porting...

Edited by adamstan

2 hours ago, adamstan said:

I wonder how should I proceed from now on. Is it better to first port the game to the playable state using current text, getting flags, choices, routes and other "logic" thingies right, and then work on text (retranslation/reedit), or the other way around?

It's better to complete the base stuff first. That way, you at least finished the porting. You may end up tired of re-editing/translating along the line, so it's better to have a complete game first.

6 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

You may end up tired of re-editing/translating along the line, so it's better to have a complete game first.

Good point. After all work already spent on editing graphics and preparing music files, better to get something working :)

Also, during porting inevitably some parts of the text will be discarded (like some redundant responses to "look" command, that would break the flow of the scene), so that means less to work on later ;)

Edited by adamstan

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

Slowly making my way through the script. Currently I'm at chapter 3 (out of 12) with my porting:

How long is the full script? I wonder what kind of playtime will actually be left after removing the gameplay.

Also, just wanted to say that project is one of the best things ever. In general. Among all kinds of things. It's the best.

:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

How long is the full script?

Around ~15k lines. (and ~16k for original JP script)

I wonder what kind of playtime will actually be left after removing the gameplay.

Yeah, me too. I suppose it will boil down to vndb "short" category, or lower tiers of "medium" - certainly well above 2hrs, but I'm not sure about 10. As it's unvoiced, it's possible to go pretty fast through it. OTOH, there are 8 heroines after all... I'm really curious.

"Removing gameplay" is mostly removing insane amounts of clicking through choice combinations needed to read the whole scene. The text removed is mostly pointless one-liners like "This is the classroom", "Mio is sitting there" etc etc... ;)

Also, for reference, the scene from the screenshot above (from the 3rd chapter of common route) is line no. ~1300, so I actually might need to update the progress meter in my signature, as even though counting chapters it looks like I'm near ~25% mark, in reality, counting script lines, it's closer to 10% ;)

Also, just wanted to say that project is one of the best things ever. In general. Among all kinds of things. It's the best.

:thumbsup:

Edited by adamstan

I stumbled upon another interesting thing. As we know, JAST USA increased age of all characters to be over eighteen by changing the setting, instead of just putting a disclaimer before the game (BTW, I think I'll need such disclaimer screen for my version ;)). However, that created its own little set of problems. While editing CGs, I looked closer upon CG showing Mio on the beach, and on her swimsuit there's "3-A" badge.
ae-027.png

However, in translated version, Mio says that she's from class 1-E. Something didn't add up ;) So I started to dig. While browsing JP script, I additionally found out that she adresses Shuuji as "senpai" (why, if they're in the same grade?), while he calls her "Mio-chan". Let's dig a bit more - I checked the scene where we meet her for the first time, and BOOM - she's indeed from class 3-A, middle school 3-A, making her a year younger than our MC-kun.

美緒、鈴木 美緒(みお)。中等部の3−A。

It turns out that the 葉隠 school includes both middle-school and high-school levels. And now everything makes sense.

BTW, it seems that school's name in translated version - "Kotobuki" - comes from the word "high-school-branch" - 高等部 ("koutoubu") that Shuuji uses when he introduces himself to Mio:

俺は高等部の1−A、山神 修司。

面白いだね?Wonder how many such quirks lurk there...

Edited by adamstan

10 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

What a crappy, full-of-censorship translation.

Yet there's this amusing paragraph in manual:

We have done our best to bring this game to you in its original form, without changing names to make them more "palatable to westerners" or "writing down" the story in any way. In fact, there is only one major difference between our games and the original Japanese release: ours are 100% uncensored! While Japanese law requires that any images of genitalia be "mosaiced" and hidden, we have brought you the original images by the original character artists!

Indeed, HCGs are uncensored, but that's it ;) 

Well, that was their (JAST USA) first release, and they improved tremendously over those ~20 years, so I forgive them :)

Edited by adamstan

I'm not sure, if GS/GM version of soundtrack will finally make it :(

Unfortunately, MIDI timing in Win 7+ is utter shit, so when I use MIDI out from PC98 emulator into software synthesizer in Win 7, it sounds like a drummer was badly drunk - when there are more tracks going on, notes have pretty random delays, and it all sounds rather sloppy. Supposedly XP was better at this, but I'm not sure if old XP machine I have will be able to handle PC98 emulation + synth work + audio recording. We'll see. If this doesn't work out, then there will be just two versions of FM soundtrack (PC98 and OPL3).

In theory, I could take music files from "JAST memorial collection" version, which are similar thing, but I don't like the sound of them, and they are 128k MP3 only.

Of course the best way to obtain this version of soundtrack would be to actually run the game on real PC98 with it's MIDI out hooked up to a Roland SC55 or SC88 synthesizer, and record that - but that's completely out of my reach...

************* EDIT *************************************

Problem solved! I found a software to convert music files from PC98 version into standard MIDI files, so now I can try different devices for playing them without the need to use PC98 emu.

Edited by adamstan

Okay, so I re-recorded GM soundtrack using converted MIDI files, cut it up and set up looping points, so that would mean that all three music versions are ready to use.

Also I started porting chapter 8:

sakura801.png

Let's guess ;)

BTW as you can see above, our protag-kun got himself side image, so he isn't completely faceless anymore :P (his face is based on one of the non-h CGs, I just added eyes and mouth to it)

Edited by adamstan

Now I'm at chapter nine :)

And here's another additional background put together from various bits and pieces - it was boring to have whole scene just in Kiyomi's room (which didn't even have TV ;))

cs904b.png

(It's edited ryokan room background combined with bits from Shuuji's living room, and the "movie" displayed on the TV is made using CGs from another JAST VN - Shuukan From H)