Winter 2019 Anime Discussion

Plk_Lesiak

So, the Winter season is already starting and its probably the most alienating one I remember. Outside of the continuation of the Slime Isekai (is there something or someone the protagonist CAN'T devour?) and the second season of Mob Psycho 100 there's very little that catches my eye.

Well, not completely nothing though. Kaguya-sama: Love is War is apparently based on a really highly-rated manga and is a seinen, so it might be intriguing. And.. There's pretty much nothing else? Apart from SAO also still continuing.

So, do you guys see anything else worthwhile? What are you going to watch? I might actually do some legitimate catching up on older series this time. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari and Yakusoku no Neverland have some highly rated manga as well, and I'm reading Tate no Yuusha myself. Probably just gonna take a sneak peak of Tate no Yuusha because the manga is pretty far into it and chances are it won't be able to catch up so I'll just watch a few episodes of that and drop it probs. 

I'm probs gonna watch Date A Live Ⅲ as well, since I'm already pretty invested into it (Kotori best girl), and maybe a bit of Domekano since I've read pretty far into that as well. Gonna keep an eye on Kakegurui 2 as well because I've read the manga for that too, except because I'm lazy, I just ended up stalling Domekano and Kakegurui's manga cuz I just cbf to stay up to date since I'm literally reading like 200+ ongoing manga rn. This might be a good opportunity to pick them back up if I really get into the adaptations.

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai is actually really good, I've also read a fair way into it and if your into rom-coms rivalry plots you would probably really like this provided that the adaptation is really good, but it should be fine since A-1 has done a pretty good job with Alicization so far.

7 minutes ago, ImNiceWithRice said:

I'm probs gonna watch Date A Live Ⅲ as well, since I'm already pretty invested into it (Kotori best girl)

J.C. Staff totally screwed up the drawings and the animation so it just looks horrible. Planned to watch it myself but after 1 episode I just don't think it will be any enjoyable to watch it, will just read the light novels sometime in the future instead.

Edited by bakauchuujin

2 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

J.C. Staff totally screwed up the drawings and the animation so it just looks horrible. Planned to watch it myself but after 1 episode I just don't think it will be any enjoyable to watch it, will just read the light novels sometime in the future instead.

You should definitely read the novels, they’re great. (Especially 10-11. I really love those two. I think S3 is adapting book 8-11, but... ugh, that art.) 

I’m crossing my fingers hoping that the people saying the pre-aired ep was an unfinished product are right, and that the episode that’s airing the 11th will be much better. But... that’s just wishful thinking, tbh. Man, I can’t believe they managed to ruin the art so much for what’s in my opinion the best part of the whole LN series! Ahhrg! 

I’ll still watch it, just to see how this part of the LN looks animated, but... guess I shouldn’t get my hopes up too much. 

As much as I'd like to, I'm still a bit hesitant to watch anything this season. But I would like to point out that there is a Tezuka adaption this season. Dororo has a pretty solid rating right off the bat too, so it might be worth looking into.

Edit: Ah, screw it, it's been too long since I enjoyed a good samurai anime. No regrets picking it up at all though; this is a damn good anime.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

Man, I was planning to watch the first two seasons of Date A Live, to prepare for the new third season. It is quite disheartening to hear that not only is it animated by another studio, but the quality is noticeably inferior. 

Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita! is a pretty good adaptation of the manga, which is good for people who like yuri with only a dash of pedophilia.

14 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

J.C. Staff totally screwed up the drawings and the animation so it just looks horrible.

5 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Man, I was planning to watch the first two seasons of Date A Live, to prepare for the new third season. It is quite disheartening to hear that not only is it animated by another studio, but the quality is noticeably inferior. 

Oh damn wth, I didn't even realise Date a Live III has a new studio until you guys told me... Damn I'll just have to wait and see how it goes after the first episode. I actually ended up dropping Log Horizon 2 for the same reason, but I'll just have to hope it isn't atrociously bad -.-

Don't worry, apparently the DALIII previews were not the quality that will be getting broadcast (hopefully).)

The stand out so far is 5-Toubun no Hanayome which is amazing in this world of lousy harem romcoms.

The MC doesn't suck, the harem has 5 interesting girls, the comedy seems funny so far, and MOST importantly, they make it absolutely clear the MC chooses a girl by the end. Here's hoping they actually animate to the end (is the manga finished/ing?)

12 hours ago, ittaku said:

The stand out so far is 5-Toubun no Hanayome which is amazing in this world of lousy harem romcoms.

The MC doesn't suck, the harem has 5 interesting girls, the comedy seems funny so far, and MOST importantly, they make it absolutely clear the MC chooses a girl by the end. Here's hoping they actually animate to the end (is the manga finished/ing?)

Oh right yeah I actually totally forgot about 5-Toubun no Hanayome, probably like one of the few manga where I'm up to date rn xd. I think the manga is pretty far into the plot, 68 chapters in. I think it's about to end pretty soon or at the very least more than 2/3 of the way into it so the chances of the anime finishing the plot is pretty low unless they skip stuff or make a 2nd season. 

Next season theres another anime called Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai and their pretty similar because the MC is a tutor in that as well and the manga is pretty far into it at about 94 chapters. That could fill the void of finishing 5-Toubun no Hanayome if you really liked it, I actually started reading those 2 at about the same time but hopefully this tutor thing doesn't suddenly become overused.

Edit: Miku is best girl

Edited by ImNiceWithRice

At least for now, this season I'm going for:

Mob Psycho II: Obvious choice if you enjoyed the first season.
Dororo: Had heard good things from this Tezuka work, and the first episode did not disappoint.
Slime: Mostly cuz I'm already watching it. Still as lukewarm as before.
Neverland: Great reviews, so I'll check it out even if I'm generally not all that into mystery anime.
5-Toubun: My trash show of the season. I mean, maybe it surprises me and it's actually half decent; for now, however, it has shown me exactly what I had expected. Either for good or bad.
JoJo: JoJo.

Edit: Also, I'm scared of giving Kaguya-sama a chance. The premise sounds interesting, but it could also be an incredibly annoying "let's see who can be more tsundere/assholey to each other" contest.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:55 AM, ittaku said:

Where do they make that clear? If you mean the whole wedding scenes, there are so, so many romcoms with similar bait scenes/premises, so I don't trust that whatsoever.

Edited by Jun Inoue

Okay, this season actually does interest me a little, so I'll add a couple more.

Yakusoku no Neverland didn't disappoint at all. The end of the first episode was very engaging, and it has a nice feel to it overall. I don't like the character designs at all, though. :vinty:

Watching Domestic na Kanojo too... Yeah, I got baited by the damn OP, lol. The writing is awfully contrived at the start, but I am willing to forgive that if the story is at least able to build on it in a meaningful way. Plus, the first episode was classy af, so I don't think it'll be that much of a struggle to keep watching.

As for Gotoubun, yeah it's quite interesting after reading the manga and the sisters bond remind me of the old anime with the quintuplets here. I wonder who the one that will marry Fuutaro, but I guess harem ending is quite a viable option lol. Oh and I think Tezuka did write the doctor who operate Dororo is Black Jack's ancestor, and yeah Tezuka did have 'Write What You Know' trope in which the late Tezuka did show up his medical knowledge because he's the doctor before writing manga.

My current list for this season:

Tier 1

Yakusoku no Neverland

Tier 2

Dororo,,,Yakusoku no Neverland Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

Tier 3

Kakegurui ×× ,,,Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka ,,,5-Toubun no Hanayome ,,,Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. ,,,Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen

Tier 4

Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai,,,Egao no Daika,,,Girly Air Force,,,Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita! ,,,Endro!

Horrible Tier

Revisions---typical netflix show, very ugly 3D westernish art.,,, Pastel Memories- ugh so generic it hurts, very bad production value no story no art,,, Grimms- somewhat nice looking but everything else is bad about this, was struggling to finish the first ep ,,,Boogiepop---I have no idea whats going, and seeing the generic boring art style I really dont care at all,,,W'z-- Probably the worst of this season, so ugly 3D it hurts eyes and makes no sense, could be a hentai

I'm finally catching up with this season's shows... Mob Psycho II looks like it's going to be better than the first one and that is saying a lot, even though I wouldn't rate the first one as high as many people do. If nothing breaks, it's going to be a solid 9/10 - it seems they're going for some more character development and less sheer weirdness and it might be just the kind of slight rebalance the show needed.

Slime Isekai is just the same fluffy fun it always was, playing IMO on all the right tropes. Not sure how the introduction of airhead-loli demon lord with world-ending power will play out, but I have yet to see a development in this show which wasn't turned into something at least slightly amusing.

Kaguya-sama's opening episode was hilarious. I guess it's exactly my kind of romantic comedy, but I wonder whether they can keep it this over-the-top for long without the formula getting old. We'll see...

Still have to get to watching Neverland and possibly going to pick up The Rising of the Shield Hero... Suddenly this season looks interesting and I'm not watching any stinkers? Weird... :s

EDIT: Holy crap, the opening episodes of Shield Hero... Just excellent. Finaly, FINALY an interesting isekai protagonist, along with a meaningful twist to the formula. So glad I've decided to give it a try. :Chocola:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

6 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Still have to get to watching Neverland and possibly going to pick up The Rising of the Shield Hero... Suddenly this season looks interesting and I'm not watching any stinkers? Weird... :s

EDIT: Holy crap, the opening episodes of Shield Hero... Just excellent. Finaly, FINALY an interesting isekai protagonist, along with a meaningful twist to the formula. So glad I've decided to give it a try. :Chocola:

I suppose this is gonna be the first season in over a year since I watched more than 3 ongoing anime. If my grades dip at all, I'm blaming you entirely.

But in all seriousness though, Tate no Yuusha has been a surprisingly interesting isekai that seems to not only be aware of its tropes, but puts a nice spin on things as well. I also appreciate the amount of world-building the first episode had to offer; it's the one of the qualities I'm most drawn into with stories of this subgenre. I haven't watched the second episode yet since it's getting a little late for me now, but I'll give that a watch tomorrow. 

I had a hunch the girl he partied with was going to betray him, though I wasn't quite expecting things to get that ugly in the first ep. I'm very interested to see where the protagonist goes from here on out. This feels like it could be a really good underdog story.

• 3 weeks later...

I binged some Gotoubon episodes in Youtube, and I think it'd have more fanservice compared to the manga because they closed up Itsuki's boobs for a second or two. I knew though that the animator need to stretch the airing time and fanservice is one of the method, so leave it at that.

As for STPC, yeah I like the character design so much I did chose them as my blog header image before it even starting airing. My praise to the design aside, I think so far it did show some potential in the story although I don't know for certain though if Toei will keep it like that (Good for them if they do that). So yeah gonna to following STPC here, and if this PreCure keep doing good then we may have good PreCure series after GPPC here.

There is probably something that has gone catastrophically wrong with my head, but I have fallen in love with the OP of Domestic na Kanojo. When I first saw it I thought : "I wanna to marry that beautiful voice". 

On 14.01.2019 г. at 6:45 PM, Jun Inoue said:

Also, I'm scared of giving Kaguya-sama a chance. The premise sounds interesting, but it could also be an incredibly annoying "let's see who can be more tsundere/assholey to each other" contest.

I know that your post is more than 1 month old, but I want to tell you to give it a chance if you haven't done it yet. I don't like tsundere in general, but I don't mind it in that anime. I didn't like the first episode, but I was curious enough to watch the second and I didn't like that one too, but the episodes after that were pretty good experience for me.

I also watch the second season of 3D Kanojo : Real Girl and I think that it's good for what it is. I recommend it for fans of that type of romance anime.

• 3 weeks later...

Kaguya-sama is probably the best anime comedy I've never seen. I've never laughed so much at each episode. And in one episode I probably laugh every two minutes, and sometimes every twenty seconds. So it's my anime of the season without a doubt. And Fujiwara Chika best girl of the season too, though if I have to choose Chika or Kaguya if I'm Shirogane, of course I would choose Kaguya.

Then Tate no Yuusha is a very good isekai so far.

And Neverland is a good anime imo, the story is great, but the characters aren't that special : they are basically too generic. It's a good anime but it's kinda overrated considering my tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

So, decided to watch the first episode of a certain Slime anime.

And, I'll be honest, it looks dumb. :vanilla: Maybe not like the dumbest shit ever, but still very dumb. Don't know, for some reason these types of stories feel a lot less cringy when they are in the written format.

Don't know if I'll continue watching this. I expect this to be "So stupid that it's actually good" type of isekai, but I feel like I need to prepare my brain for this kind of show first. ^_^

11 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

So, decided to watch the first episode of a certain Slime anime.

And, I'll be honest, it looks dumb. :vanilla: Maybe not like the dumbest shit ever, but still very dumb. Don't know, for some reason these types of stories feel a lot less cringy when they are in the written format.

Don't know if I'll continue watching this. I expect this to be "So stupid that it's actually good" type of isekai, but I feel like I need to prepare my brain for this kind of show first. ^_^

I don't know, I thought the first episode was actually rather funny and witty. Though if you find it stupid, you'll do better dropping this show altogether, the second half of the season gets really silly and loses most of the initial, good pacing. 

10 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I don't know, I thought the first episode was actually rather funny and witty. Though if you find it stupid, you'll do better dropping this show altogether, the second half of the season gets really silly and loses most of the initial, good pacing. 

I don't know. On second thought, maybe I've just seen this exact introduction to the story so many times so it became hard to take it seriously. In that case maybe I should try watching a few more episodes and see how I feel about them. :yumiko: