Winter 2019 Anime Discussion

Plk_Lesiak

Slime is an iyashikei hidden within an isekai, meaning it's actually a healing anime hidden within an another world anime.  It's a feel good show where there is no tension because you know there is basically no chance the protagonist is ever going to be at real risk. People kept telling me 'it gets darker later on' but the show is virtually over now and that didn't happen at all - at least for this season, and another season is likely. That said, it's still enjoyable in its own way as a result.

13 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

So, watched the first 4 episodes of Slime. And, as I suspected, it gets pretty enjoyable after a while. I guess, I posted my first reaction too early. :mare:

I'd say, it's still pretty dumb, but not in a bad way. More like, it combines overused isekai cliches in a way that the end product becomes actually interesting and fun.

Eh, that's pretty much it. I read the manga up to where it was and skimmed through the novels, and it basically goes down the typical path for this sort of works. Sooner rather than later, it forgets its initial premise and slowly descends in quality until it's just an ok story you follow because you're already invested. Much like you and ittaku have said, though, it's basically an unambitious isekai going through a checklist of tropes that kinda works because of it (and being generally wholesome). Shield hero is a bit similar in that regard.

@Mago IvoIronically, saw your answer some time ago and completely forgot to comment. That... has been repeated a few times the past few weeks. Oopsie? :pyaa:

To comment on the topic, however, I did end up giving the show a chance as I had mentioned! And thankfully, it is indeed pretty funny and wholesome. Perhaps I'm a bit sad that it's very obviously not going to get anywhere when it ends, but it'll have been a good run.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:49 PM, ittaku said:

Slime is an iyashikei hidden within an isekai, meaning it's actually a healing anime hidden within an another world anime.  It's a feel good show where there is no tension because you know there is basically no chance the protagonist is ever going to be at real risk. People kept telling me 'it gets darker later on' but the show is virtually over now and that didn't happen at all - at least for this season, and another season is likely. That said, it's still enjoyable in its own way as a result.

It does get dark but thats in the 8th and 9th arc and maybe a bit about the nature of slavery in the world in earlier arcs. This probably translates to season 4 or 5 in the anime. That being said it only gets dark as in the nature of the world or people other than the protagonist truly suffering. (including his allies) Our lovable slime is pretty fine regardless though.

Edited by Akshay

On 3/13/2019 at 11:49 PM, ittaku said:

Slime is an iyashikei hidden within an isekai, meaning it's actually a healing anime hidden within an another world anime. 

Actually, I think the combination of isekai and iyashikei is a pretty common one, and I actually feel like not all, but the majority of isekais I tried have at least an element of iyashikei in them, and it's exactly what I enjoy in these kinds of stories the most. No matter how much I like more serious stories, sometimes, especially if I feel stressed because of real life problems, I just like to enjoy something with an engaging story, but what doesn't have any real tension at all. I guess, that's why people enjoy moege, though they don't really work this way to me. The problem is that most isekais just aren't written well enough to be entertaining, and reading/watching them quickly becomes boring and obnoxious, so the negative emotions just ruin the whole experience. Slime manages to avoid that, and that's what makes it good, imo.

On 3/16/2019 at 4:16 PM, Akshay said:

only gets dark as in the nature of the world or people other than the protagonist truly suffering.

You know, I think even this season made it quite clear that the world where the story takes place is pretty dark. The protagonists, however, is surrounded by an unbreakable bubble of happiness, and his mission so far seems to be to bring this happiness to everyone he meets. I personally quite like how this it is done here.

Anyway, this was a pretty enjoyable show overall. Not great, but enjoyable overall, and I'm definitely picking up the original light novels at some point. Probably before the second season airs next year. I'm giving it a solid 7/10.

I know there's still one episode left, but it will be another intermission, so you can say this is already finished.

On 13/03/2019 at 9:07 PM, Dreamysyu said:

So, decided to watch the first episode of a certain Slime anime.

And, I'll be honest, it looks dumb. :vanilla: Maybe not like the dumbest shit ever, but still very dumb. Don't know, for some reason these types of stories feel a lot less cringy when they are in the written format.

Don't know if I'll continue watching this. I expect this to be "So stupid that it's actually good" type of isekai, but I feel like I need to prepare my brain for this kind of show first. ^_^

Hey, well yeah Slime is a quite dumb et light fantasy anime, yet it is so appreciated. Anyway, I'm glad that I'm not the only who kinda.... not despise but... I do really dislike this show. It could have been much better without taking away the "light vibe" : Isekai Shokudou is a good example.

Besides that, I think you should try Tate no Yuusha. I don't know your taste and maybe you dislike the whole isekai things, but Tate no Yuusha has a different vibe than other isekai in my opinion.

Edited by Kazami Yuiji