Easy to read Japanese visual novels

EntireInternet

VNs based on things that already had an anime like New Game! The Challenge Stage!Nisekoi: Yomeiri!?Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?? Wonderful Party! and Himouto! Umaru-chan Himouto! Ikusei Keikaku generally tend to be pretty easy since they often feature full voice acting including the MC and usually don't have too complex language. These types of VNs are generally found for ps vita and PS4 and it would probably make it easier for you if you found something based on an anime or manga you like.

If you want to be able to switch between english and japanese due to not being confortable enough with japanese to try only japanese there are some on PC which has both japanese and english language setting. Some examples are Nekopara, Japanese school life and most of Frontwing's titles, well the newer ones at least.

Level two of my list is my 'still readable but has literary/more difficult Japanese', so I only suggest that for people who learn better by challenging themselves a bit or those who feel they've gained confidence from reading level one VNs.

5 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

VNs based on things that already had an anime like New Game! The Challenge Stage!Nisekoi: Yomeiri!?Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?? Wonderful Party! and Himouto! Umaru-chan Himouto! Ikusei Keikaku generally tend to be pretty easy since they often feature full voice acting including the MC and usually don't have too complex language. These types of VNs are generally found for ps vita and PS4 and it would probably make it easier for you if you found something based on an anime or manga you like.

If you want to be able to switch between english and japanese due to not being confortable enough with japanese to try only japanese there are some on PC which has both japanese and english language setting. Some examples are Nekopara, Japanese school life and most of Frontwing's titles, well the newer ones at least.

Thanks for this, I'll look into these as I do have a PS4 (no vita), and of course I intend to look into manga as well, as a way to practice reading. I think visual novels are my preferred medium because I can take it at my own pace, many it's easy to replay voice lines, and I can always reread logs. It's the best of manga and anime for learning for me I feel, because anime it's a bit tedious to keep rewinding and manga there's no voice over to hear pronunciations.

5 hours ago, Larxe1 said:

My first japanese VN's were Cocoro Function and Clover days. 

Also I'm not sure if Making Lovers was easy I don't remember it's complexity well but it's a SMEE game so it's usually very easy.

I'll take a look at these, regardless of if I intend to read them right away or not. Maybe in the future they'll be good options.

5 hours ago, Clephas said:

Thank you a ton for this! Some of these I've seen before so I'll definitely check them out and see what interests me.

I want to add, that if something is fun and easy to read I am happy to check it out even if it was translated already. So if you have recommendations for translated titles I am happy to check those out.