Mystery / True Route VNS like Ever17

tubarola

Just finished reading Ever17 (with new translation and bgm patch), it was very engaging and kept me glued to the screen - that said, the final plot twist was lame and i hated the deus ex machina moments, alongside that, some routes were really bad and filled with boring slice of life content ( and i DO like sol, not the way they used it though).

Since it was my first mystery VN, im looking for more novels in the same style ever17 went for, with a true "canon" route, a lot of suspense and clues to solve the riddles, preferably with a better writing and a plot as realistic as it is possible to go for, don't really like elements pulled from the ass that some novels use, like they did in ever17 with the winkel thing. I do like some romance but that is not mandatory, just want some good stories.

Jesus Christ, Fuwanovel needs a button for me to click and automatically suggest Umineko.

I can't recommend Umineko enough. Although it is a kinect novel (more than 50 hours of reading), it has everything you look for. What I can tell you that may ease your detective self is that there are enough clues to find out the culprit in Episode 1 (of 8). But, of course, if you don't find it out right away, the story gives you a lot of different perspectives and clues to solve the mystery before the final answer.

The name is Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, and both parts are sold by MangaGamer - Rondo, the first one, and Chiru, the second part. But if you wait some months, there will be a definitive version released by Mangagamer. If you don't want to wait, buy the games and then apply the patch for PS3 graphics and voices.

Believe me, you WILL like Umineko.

_____

Other good mystery games: Swan Song, Cartagra/Kara no shoujo series and, as people mentioned before, the Zero Escape series and the rest of the infinite series (ever 17 is the second of the series)

Well, what makes Ever17 so widely lauded in general, funnily enough, is that very twist. So a lot of mystery novels out there might piss you off in similar ways.

It's single route, but if you seek a mystery VN you'll find nothing better than Umineko.

Its ending will probably piss you off, but Remember11 is definitely worth a try otherwise, it's better than E17 in many ways. 

YU-NO is archaic as hell, though the mystery part of the story is interesting, and has some weird characterization (in that you commit the good ol' incest-a-roo quite a few times in the story).

You should also check out 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. It's an incredible game to play standalone. There are two more Zero Escape games out there (Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma) but those two are highly connected and ZTD is shit so just playing 999 is more worth your time. Get it on DS if you can. If not, it's sold under the title of The Nonary Games on Vita, PS4 and PC.

3 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Its ending will probably piss you off, but Remember11 is definitely worth a try otherwise, it's better than E17 in many ways. 

IIRC Remember11 was supposed to have one more route that was cancelled due to lack of budget or something like that. It is a complete story, but the mystery here depends a lot on reading the bad endings and understanding the series' universe. That being said, I think reading Never7 would help a lot explaining both Ever17's twist and Remember11's mystery.

Also I think that ISLAND fits the bill, a highly awaited VN that finally got translated last year, I haven't played it yet though, so proceed at your own risk.

Oh, and of course Steins;Gate, it will blow your mind, guaranteed, how could no one mention it. -_-

Edited by Okarin

As for the recommendations, I would like to seconded Chaos Child here and while at it I can recommend you to try Chaos Head as well. Or if you want new recommendations then you can try I/O as well, and if you didn't mind murder mystery then you can try Kara no Shoujo duolgy (And Cartagra as well). I hope that my recommendations here would be helpful to you.