There is a problem with the VN community that needs to be addressed

43 minutes ago, ConcernedEOP said:

...During the release of Sakura no Uta some EOPs were scared of what he would do after the fact— more so even when he made a statement saying he might not like it.

why is that so? to my understanding everyone´s free to like what he likes, and in case clephas possibly no liking sakuuta, so fucking be it. hell given the mentioned situation those eops couldn´t even read it, so why being concerned/scared/pissed off by anyones personal opinion? i just don´t get it. what´s  real fucking bad is certain e-celebs declaring titles of their liking to be the alphas & omegas of galge, in a way basically endorsing sheep mentality.
nothing worse than blindly buying whatever overhyped title, only to find it boring as fuck, or the existence of people actively defending bandwagoning as how the community should be. unneeeded toxicity when commenting is one thing, but a bunch of braindead fucks is in no way any better.

Edited by SaintOfVoid

31 minutes ago, SaintOfVoid said:

what´s  real fucking bad is certain e-celebs declaring titles of their liking to be the alphas & omegas of galge, in a way basically endorsing sheep mentality.

^Totaly this. Okay sure, unnecessary attacks and insults are indeed the worst and shouldn't be endorsed in any way, but you do realize you give power to those people in the instant you just parrot what they say over and over again. You mention "kamige" in the text, but what do you mean with that? Most of the time it's some game that Moogy, Conjueror, you name it, liked. People forget it's just their opinion, they're free to say it, but it's not absolute truth. There's absolutely no problem to disagree with them. I bet that 90% of the people that vote for Muramasa in those localisation polls every year have absolutely no idea what that VN's plot is about.

So stand for your own opinions, be a proud EOP if that's what you want to be. If you're satisfied with what you have now, who cares what they're thinking. There's plenty of translated stuff that's good that should keep fans occupied for a long time, so why not look at what you have instead of begging for what others say it's good (that's maybe not even that good in the first place)? You say that Clephas minding his own business, reading only what he likes (well, for the most part, I guess) is a bad thing, but some people really need to do the same.

It takes a lot of energy to read things you aren't naturally inclined to like.  Toward the end, it was worse than reading Dickens in high school at times.  As for Sakura no Uta... I've already made my opinion (key word being 'opinion') on the game in particular and SCA-ji's works in general clear. 

Honestly I don't wanna read a pastebin but based on what the guy above me said, yeah read what you like. Honestly I've not read a visual novel without glaring problems, but that doesn't stop me from liking many of them, while there are others I just think suck and aren't redeemable from their problems. It's all subjective my opinion on them isn't any more right than anyone else's, and no one else's opinion is any more right than mine or yours.

Read what you like ignore the noise.

Now that we'd established that the post is just copy paste from years of research meme (Honestly I just know about this), perhaps we can move this thread into more appropriate section. Like Coliseum of Chatter for the example. That said while both fandom did have that kind of divide, the scale is still very different though with Smash Bros here being very mainstream while VN is still just niche. Also the scope is very different with Smash Bros only have five games while I'm certain that we have more than five VNs (Either translated or untranslated), so the divide would not just ended with Aokana translated.

Edited by littleshogun

My take on this post is that his main point is that the VN community is divided between people that read translations and people that read in Japanese and that this divide is only getting bigger over time? And among Japanese readers there are those that proceed to trash translations which serves to deepen this divide?

I don't think I agree with these statements. Obviously there is some sort of divide between people reading translations and the Japanese works. They draw from a different pool of works and what is new and gets discussion differs as well, but I would argue that as more VNs get translated the pool of works that both groups share only gets bigger so there is more common ground for discussion. I honestly haven't witness much of toxicity against the readers of translations. Maybe I don't follow the right places? Ats least I haven't seen this sentiment getting worse here on fuwanovel.

As for the "ringleaders of Japanese eroge" I think it is just a function of limited information. Someone that doesn't speak/read Japanese only has so many sources of information about new Japanese titles, so reading impressions by clephas, conjueror or moogy makes sense. If there where only a handful of movie critics and they would be the only source of information before the movie releases years later (if ever) than those movie critics would probably have some kind of following. So some sort of following is inevitable under these circumstances and all of those reviewer are only people that have their own tastes and everyone should keep this in mind. But that is nothing new. No reviewer (of any kind) does reflect my opinion perfectly so I am trusting nobody blindly. That should be same for every kind of review or impression. But regardless of that I can't remember any of those Japanese VN reviewer rally their readers against translations in general, so that point is moot.

TL;DR: I don't know if I did catch what the thread opener wanted to say, but I don't think it is a bad as he thinks.

Edited by Formlose Gestalt

I didn't even knew there was divide. Well folk grab your Guns and Wifus its TIME FOR EROGE WARS!!!  

On serious note I think we all share same love and passion for VNs. We may have different tastes and read on different languages but overall we all come together.

P.S. WTF does EOPs and JOPs means?

1 hour ago, Fiddle said:

Can I be one of those people whose opinions everyone blindly trusts? I've read almost DOZENS of visual novels and I can say with certainty that John Cena's Sexy High School Adventure!!! 2 is a kamige.

First one sucks though.

John Cena is the wrong waifu, if it's not Macho Man I don't care for it.

It's just the state of the internet today, it is filled with a swarms of douchebags and assholes engaged in an endless circlejerk.

Also, like who cares? Play what you want, read what you want. Why let self titled elitists keep you from enjoying what you like?

Unless, like the protag is garbage are something then what is wrong with you?

However, JOPs gained a lot of power and did not like translation.

Power over what?

Clephas is someone who constantly reads and does whatever he wants and doesn’t care about anything. People like him are

extremely dangerous.

What?

I have a problem with people not controlling their fanbase because they just don’t care or know what they’re doing.

If you can't "control your fanbase" you're not all that powerful, are you?

• 3 years later...

I was extremely invested in this post because while it is a cheap copypasta edit, it has some prophetic qualities. In fact, some of the sentences in it have actually been said to me before and I've dealt with said toxicity as a consumer and as an enthusiast of VNs in all languages that I can read. It is funny how there is always a bit of truth in every joke.

Maybe, since this is definitely relevant again we can take this shitpost and seriously discuss how to end the cyclical JOP-is-the-only-way-and-if-you-don't-you-better-kill-yourself-boke rhetoric. It causes the toxicity we see in the scene and I won't stand for it, even as someone who is not necessarily impacted by it.