What are the best visual novels that were released in 2018?

Happiness+

Another year of weak Japanese releases (in my opinion), if you are not a Yuzusoft/Key fan that can digest anything that they toss at you, I can think of Haru to Yuki, Maoten and Shogun-sama wa Otoshigoro0. Lowering the level slightly, Butterfly Seeker and Hataraku Otona no Ren'ai Jijou 2 can be interesting.

Edited by Norleas

On the "games for girls" side of things, I think 2018 was a pretty solid year.

We got the localization of both Psychedelica games, and Sweet Pool recently. For Japanese releases, there were Cendrillon Palika as a Switch exclusive (as the Vita is dying in the West because Sony itself is trying to kill it, it's a good thing to expand the market), Piofiore no Banshou, a fandisk for Collar x Malice, and some great BL games from first-time developers, like Mahoutsukai to Tenshi to Akuma and Nie no Machi.

Edited by MaggieROBOT

Not counting translations, the only VNs released this year that i've read were Fatal Twelve and the last Grisaia Phantom Trigger volumes, so Fatal Twelve by default i guess.

If we're counting translations, then i'll go with 428 Shibuya Scramble.

Edited by onorub

Nobody mentions Summer Pockets?

Also I don't think the year was that bad for EOPs. As always the focus is on moege, but we even got the (reportedly) awesome Chaos;Child that I have to play sometime. We also got the official launch of Steins;Gate Zero with some promises to bring some more sci-adv.

And it's not even the last word from sci-adv, not even in Japan where I guess they're eagerly awaiting for Robotics;Notes DaSH (I know I am, too).

For me it's certainly Fatal Twelve for translated VN's and Shin Koihime † Musou - Kakumei ~Son Go no Ketsumyaku~ for untranslated VN's (even if I'm not completely finished with the latter yet).

I'd also give a honorable mention to Kajuu 100% for its awesome animated... virtues. :maple:

Just noticed that the PC version of Chaos;Child got a translation patch in the meantime - guess that will make it my next English VN to read.

Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised if Evenicle would be the best selling English title this year - seems to be pretty popular.

Edited by ChaosRaven

EOP mean the English Only People, or to be more precise the people who were only read translated VNs (Mostly in English). As for me, I would say that it's my choice to be an EOP here lol.

Anyway as for the topic, let's just say that there's a lot of subjective matter here. For untranslated VN here I definitely will vote it to Rance X if we look at both of VNDB and Erogamescape average score (Both at 91), and as for translated VNs there's two because the scoring was different in both of VNDB and Erogamescape (Shibuya Scramble for VNDB with 8.49 average score and Island for Erogamescape with average score 83). As for the rerelease, I agree that Chaos Child here is the best one although I didn't count it as the release though because it's already been released back at 2017 for PS4. If you want to see the fandisc, I think Fata Morgana fandisc here is the best one for translated VNs. Although as far as best VN that I'd finish, it's Subahibi looking from the score that I gave back at VNDB.

Edited by littleshogun

EOP = English Only Player. Not really by choice, beggars can't be choosers. Of course, these people lack an understanding of Japanese, I get dizzy looking at all those kanji put together.

Chaos;Child should count as a release, but with a caveat, it was unofficial. Spike Chunsoft should really pump their engines and bring us as much sci-adv as they can. It probably sells well too. And then there would be no need for patches.

I looked into that Chaos;Child patch, and it looks like major PITA to install and use - if you want to be legal, you have to buy TWO versions of the game - Japanese PC version and English console version, then extract scripts from console patch, and finally apply PC patch installer :o:rize:

With official console translations, it's really surprising that there's no official English PC release.

Edited by adamstan

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

I looked into that Chaos;Child patch, and it looks like major PITA to install and use - if you want to be legal, you have to buy TWO versions of the game - Japanese PC version and English console version, then extract scripts from console patch, and finally apply PC patch installer :o:rize:

With official console translations, it's really surprising that there's no official English PC release.

I saw that; it's a really dumb patch. I imagine anyone with the money to buy two games will probably just buy the console version and play it as is, and just about everyone else will probably either be driven to piracy to avoid buying it twice or just avoid playing it altogether.

But on the plus side, we did get a pre-patched version of the game, even though it requires pirating. It's a shame this has to be the only consumer-friendly option since I wouldn't mind buying it myself.

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

There are 'other sources' where you can get the whole package a lot easier.