A personal discussion about feelings for a visual novel character, what do you think?

Phantom

Have you had feelings for a visual novel character?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. In the terms of you playing a visual novel you enjoyed or a character in that visual novel, did you have deep feelings for a visual novel character? Select a statement that suits you best.

• I have had feelings for a character but not really for long and it didn't bother me.
    • I have had feelings for a character and was sad when I finished their story because I wouldn't be able to be with them anymore.
    • I have had feelings for a character and was really upset because I felt like the time we spend together would disappear, I wouldn't be able to help them and the thought makes me real sad as it will not continue.
    • I think it is natural to feel sad about finishing a story or character route but I never let personal feeling get involved.
    • I have and I wish I could swap places with the protagonist.
    • I have and I wish the character would be in my real life.
    • I haven't had personal feelings towards fictional characters.
    • It's just a game, why would I get feelings towards fake characters?

27 minutes ago, kokoro said:

That sounds interesting. @Phantom would you have liked Meguru as much if she spoke in third person speech? Honest question. Some people didn't like the way her lines were translated.

Personally, I didn't mind the way she spoke at all. It gives a kind of special charm to her. I could tell that she was speaking in third person in the voice lines at times but the text didn't show this but it was never a problem for me. It's adorable, just like her! :wub:

Edited by Phantom

4 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Personally, I didn't mind the way she spoke at all. It gives a kind of special charm to her. I could tell that she was speaking in third person in the voice lines at times but the text didn't show this but it was never a problem for me. It's adorable, just like her! :wub:

You knew about it?!

I didn't see that coming:Keepo:

3 minutes ago, kokoro said:

You knew about it?!

I didn't see that coming:Keepo:

Sorry I even forgot to mention this but can I just say she has the best soundtrack in the visual novel by far and one of the best I've ever heard from visual novels in general? It just screams adorable, fun, friend and lovey dovey! I may be a little biased about it but... :makina:

Edited by Phantom

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

That is true, but she knrw how he was from the beginning. Find me the guy who would accept being stood up on a date because his/her partner would rather fight. Not to mention how she broke up because she would never change and would always fight if a fight was brewing, yet later she did just that and made a point of saying it was not because of Dai. Then why did she suddenly avoid the fight after breaking up? 

I just can't get myself to like that girl.

Oh ? Who was the one that pushed the relationship despite the differences, Ai knew from the start that there where problems, and she acted accordingly (thinking of him), but who was the one despite that still pushing for a relationship ? Answer: Dai. As for a guy that would accept it... leaving myself out of the picture, Yamato from Majikoi would understand it for example, in fact even if he can't fight he would find a way to help, supporting his loved one. As for the rest i don't really understand what your talking about, here you got me lost:  "yet later she did just that and made a point of saying it was not because of Dai.Then why did she suddenly avoid the fight after breaking up? " Do you mean on the roof top ? With Ganaha ? That was properly explained later. 

And i can't get myself to like that guy (Dai) :p. Although he does grow a pair in Virgin road.

Edited by +StrikeR+

3 hours ago, +StrikeR+ said:

Oh ? Who was the one that pushed the relationship despite the differences, Ai knew from the start that there where problems, and she acted accordingly (thinking of him), but who was the one despite that still pushing for a relationship ? Answer: Dai. As for a guy that would accept it... leaving myself out of the picture, Yamato from Majikoi would understand it for example, in fact even if he can't fight he would find a way to help, supporting his loved one. As for the rest i don't really understand what your talking about, here you got me lost:  "yet later she did just that and made a point of saying it was not because of Dai.Then why did she suddenly avoid the fight after breaking up? " Do you mean on the roof top ? With Ganaha ? That was properly explained later. 

And i can't get myself to like that guy (Dai) :p. Although he does grow a pair in Virgin road.

Sure, he was pushing for a relationship. But what did Ai do when you chose other heroines?

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

Sure, he was pushing for a relationship. But what did Ai do when you chose other heroines?

The main reason she left him, was because she didn't want to expose him to danger due to her being one of the top three yankees, and what does he do ? Jump at the other two, in the end she ends up being quite supportive, but her initial reaction is well understandable, it did felt (especially from her perspective) like he spitted in her intentions/face. You haven't played Virgin Road, but in a situation where he doesn't pick an apparent delinquent she can be quite supportive actually (like Yoiko for example). I get it you don't like Ai, i'm not fond of Renna either for example, i just don't really like that type of ojou-sama characters, its just my preferences, nothing wrong with her per se. But just because she doesn't fit your preferences don't blame Dai's di... moves on her... 

Edited by +StrikeR+

I wanted to ask everyone what they felt were traits that get you either invested (no serious personal feelings) or emotionally attached (had a real effect to your life, emotion overload like sadness, joy, love, friendship, longing etc) for a character (whoever that may be to you, boy, girl etc)? 

Like I already wrote in the main topic I am emotionally romantically attached to Meguru because not only are her traits are the same as mine, she is the kind of person that I've been wanting to meet for a long time in my real life; someone that'd would be with me through anything and we'll always have our special time together may it be having fun playing, talking, messing around, going out or just being together. She is also adorable to me and a real looker for me :wub:. Obviously she isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea which is perfectly fine but for me she is like my dream girl to find and I'd be really lucky to find someone like her in my life. Having that relatability I think is a key reason and because of this it is likely why I've loved this story the most out of any other visual novel experience.

What do you guys find to be the traits of a character that gets you invested or attached into them? Lemme know your thoughts! :sachi:

I have three types of fascination with characters.  One is partially intellectual and linked to my fondness for 'difference'.  Psychologically strange, twisted, and generally way out there people fall into this realm.  A few examples would be the near-sociopaths Hinaori Kagome (Comyu), Shigure Sora (Devils Devel concept), and Kamio Ami (Semiramis no Tenbin), as well as a few stranger examples such as the yanderes of Gun Knight Girl.  The second is character 'relations'.  This can be a friendship, a deep familial bond, or an intense love match.  A few examples of this include Eri from Hikoukigumo no Mukougawa, Suzu from Ayakashibito, and Shizuku from Evolimit (the order is reversed, incidentally).  

Last of all is admiration for a person who transcends the common ruck of humanity.  I don't restrict this admiration to rl people like Nelson Mandela or Mother Theresa, as an example of greatness is an example of greatness, regardless of fiction or non-fictional origin.  A few examples include Dmitri and Shou from my previous post, Shizumine Ryuuji from Inochi no Spare, and Tokiwa Itsuka of Houkago no Futekikakusha.  These people are individuals who fight through their agony for the sake of others, giving of themselves despite their own desperate straits, sometimes even giving up their very lives or something even more important to them.   Their reasons might be personal and rooted in their own personal darkness, but their willingness to break themselves in the service of others still rips my heart out of my chest every time. 

Yes, I do, for pretty much every story I come to love. I feel sad when the story ends regardless of the type of ending, since I won't be able to keep experiencing it (that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not satisfied with the ending though!). I'm sad about not being able to keep those characters company probably forever, unless a sequel comes out. And yes of course, if the character in question is a tier A waifu the feelings only intensify :makina:

Some would call having this sort of investment for fictional characters stupid, but I believe that as long as it's within what's reasonable and healthy, it just means you are enjoying those stories and characters to the fullest. I'm sure the authors would be really pleased :P

My favorite characters ? Hmm... i like the fighter, or underworld type that's generally feared and aggressive, but actually has quite a dere side to her (i guess Ai from Tsujidou-san Jun'Ai road falls right into this one). Another one i like is one with yandere vibes, but not over the top bat shit crazy like Nishi Mayuko i actually disliked her, more like Akane from Renai Bokun:

Other ones i'm really fond are characters like Margit, Tatsuko, Tsubame, Seiso (in her emperor mode) and Lin/Rin, all from the Majikoi series or girls like Nagamitsu Maya From Noble Works, she was my favorite in that VN. The ones that i really loved but don't fit into that bad/fighter girl type are Mayuzumi, from Majikoi, or Kotori and Nanaka from D.C.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:56 AM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I think the option that would fit my feelings is missing, and it would be "I had feelings for VN characters, but was satisfied with the story/conclusion they've received". The one character that I connected the most when reading a VN was actually a protagonist, Flowers' Suoh, just because of how similar she was to me and how she resembled my own struggles. That's also why, unlike the whole rest of the internet apparently, really liked Rika's ending to the first episode of that series. Not because Rika's was that great of a heroine or that she didn't deserve to be rejected for what she did to Suoh, but because she was the kind of partner Suoh needed. A strong person that would protect her, but also help her heal and cope with her insecurities.

Having an ending that signalized all that, I couldn't be sad - I was satisfied and even if I have "parted" with the characters, I could always fantasize on where their stories would go after that. That's a general rule for me - if I really connected with a character and a story, I would always let my mind wander after finishing it. And even later, I usually don't forget about those characters or "get over them", but, I guess, I simply cherish the memories of them, without any sadness connected to that (of course, assuming their stories give them closure/hope for a good future).

And, of course, considering many of my favourite works are yuri, there's not much "self-insert/switching positions with the protagonist" potential there. I treat the protagonists and heroines as their own characters. There's no reason for me to want them in my reality, because I would be of no interest to them.

In my case I gravitated towards Erika because she was most in line with the way I thought and felt about things. Also yes, you were the only one that liked that ending, but don't worry Shou's winter will come at some point, be sure to check back in the next three years.:meguface:

I go for a certain type of character I guess you can say, and if they are in whatever weird parameters I set for myself I'll probably always have intense thoughts and feelings associated with them. The characters I'm most interested in remind me of someone I'll probably always hold close to my heart. In the end I'm a bit sad when their story ends like I would after having finished a really good book.

I think it would be more interesting to think of taking over the mind of a protag and living out their ambitions rather than just bringing said waifu to your world. But for that it's less out of my intense love of a character but my intense hate or apathy for the dense and stupid protag. I just know I could do it better. Watch out which one you choose though cuz those dense fuckers have no idea what birth control is.

Edited by Ranzo

5 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Watch out which one you choose though cuz those dense fuckers have no idea what birth control is.

I do find it interesting that in most visual novels that involve sex scenes tends to have the 'keep in or pull out' option but there aren't any outcomes from it. I think they do it like this because each route (normally) ends up with the characters loving each other forever onward and staying together until the end. 

Spoiler

Like in Meguru's route from Sanoba Witch, they want to get married in the future and be with each other forever so he would obviously take responsibility (which he proclaimed) for her and any children they had. Also they are over 18 so there is that.

Edited by Phantom

I've definitely had or in some ways still do I guess, the feeling of wanting a character/loving them even if they are fictional. If I could spend a day with them that would be cool, the rest of my life amazing, but yeah. Kurisu jumps to mind for that though at the same time I also wouldn't want to come between her and Okabe if he also existed. But, it also isn't mutually exclusive to the visual novel medium or 'love' interests in general. There are characters from all sorts of mediums I wish I could interact with, either in their story or outside of it. Victor Frankenstein from the original novel jumps to mind, Okabe in Steins;Gate jumps to mind, Micaiah and Sothe from Fire Emblem or Minato from Persona 3, Shepard from Mass Effect, Link and Zelda from any number of their incarnations, all jump to mind as well. All character who've impacted me growing up that I'd love to meet.

Thank you very much to each and everyone of you that took the time to read and respond to my discussion (Over 1,000 people!). It's nice to have some people to relate to that plays visual novels because I don't really have anyone like that at the moment who I could talk to about it and I just had to get my feelings out there. I already said it but happy new year; I'll be on the forum regularly and will be posting again on topics or creating new ones, I'll cya soon! :sachi: