A personal discussion about feelings for a visual novel character, what do you think?

Phantom

Have you had feelings for a visual novel character?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. In the terms of you playing a visual novel you enjoyed or a character in that visual novel, did you have deep feelings for a visual novel character? Select a statement that suits you best.

• I have had feelings for a character but not really for long and it didn't bother me.
    • I have had feelings for a character and was sad when I finished their story because I wouldn't be able to be with them anymore.
    • I have had feelings for a character and was really upset because I felt like the time we spend together would disappear, I wouldn't be able to help them and the thought makes me real sad as it will not continue.
    • I think it is natural to feel sad about finishing a story or character route but I never let personal feeling get involved.
    • I have and I wish I could swap places with the protagonist.
    • I have and I wish the character would be in my real life.
    • I haven't had personal feelings towards fictional characters.
    • It's just a game, why would I get feelings towards fake characters?

Hello there, I haven't posted in a long time so I wanted to ask some people what they thought about this topic as recently it has gotten to me like being hit by a truck. Just as a heads up, I've played a lot of different visual novels in the past including visual novels from Pulltop / latte, Yuzusoft, circus etc and only the English releases because I do not understand Japanese. Minor spoilers as I will be discussing a character in a visual novel and how it relates to my life. This is a bit of a personal discussion but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on it.

So I just finished playing a route from Sanoba Witch, specifically Meguru Inaba's route and I have to say I've never before liked a character from a game / visual novel before this much. This girl for me in my eyes is amazing in many ways. She is basically very similar to me but in girl form (I'm a guy), she is cute, fun to be around, funny, daring, dresses very nicely (especially during the Halloween party, and when she reveals her normal look at home), beautiful, adorable, sensitive and worries about what others thinks of her, likes to stick with people she is very close to and opens up to them, clingy (Yes for me this is a positive). She plays games, reads books, likes staying at home and generally a very nice, loving person who has a heart of gold. Now I'm really hoping I'm not looking crazy right now to some people over this because I can understand that this looks way too over analysed but these are my thoughts on the character after going through her route from start to finish including the after story.

After going through her route I was feeling so happy and having so much fun being in the shoes of the protagonist, I sometimes like to think I am the protagonist because I make the choices during the game and I was having such a blast because I was so in love with her character. I felt like if I were to meet this character in real life and we were to bond, I would fall for her instantly. And at this point, it hits me (you?). You are nearly the end of the route and you know the character's story is going to end. You will likely never have another game involving that character and you will never have another encounter with them. This is where I actually start to want to stop playing and in this case it is really hard for me as I've gotten so attached to a character I've been involved with because I want to stop the inevitable. The end of the story. I would stop playing the game for a bit to stop myself from finishing the story knowing that the story is still not over but I always felt really sad when I thought about never being with that character on a personal level ever again. It actually hurts. I feel sad. I feel unhappy. I feel upset. Because I know this character does not exist in real life. I think I know the reason I feel so strongly about Meguru and the reason is it's a person I've been longing for in my life. She's a good friend, a good listener, a good comforter and a good lover that will be there for you no matter what and in my opinion one of the strongest characters I've ever known. Her backstory was also quite sad and when I resolved her problem (without spoiling it) I felt really happy I could help someone I was interested in greatly. Another problem I've faced in other visual novels and especially this one now is the fact that the story has ended and it is time to move on to another character route. This greatly pains me. I'm no longer there to help her. I've lost that connection with her that I found so special.

Think of it this way. If you were to fall in love in real life with a girl and you go through a year together and one day, poof. You are back to where you started before you fell for that girl and you both lost all memories of the times you were together. The loop continues. This for me is just painfully sad. I normally get over it but this time I'm likely going to have to take a break from that visual novel because I felt such a connection with this character because of so many similar traits and traits I really liked. I will continue the other stories of the game at some point and I'm sure I will like the others girls too but even during the common route I knew she was the one I was going to really like. I'm actually unsure if I'm just really weird or this is something people normally feel (I am a sensitive person) who haven't had a strong connection like this. Do you think this is weird or not? I've love to hear your thoughts on it.

Lastly I just wanted to say, Meguru Inaba may not be real but she has had a real impact on me deep in my heart, I 100% fell for this girl and if I had a free wish to make her be real in my life I'd take it because it would make me so happy to be with a person like her. She is wonderful and I'm really happy to have met and enjoyed the character's company in this game and I hope to meet someone just like her in real life. Visual novels done right have amazing effects.

Thank you very much for reading, if you have any thoughts or would like to discussion please write it so I can reply.

Edit: I just remember I forgot to mention that personal feelings doesn't have to be romance related. It could be a personal connection, a good friend, any kind of attachment etc. My case is related to a romance connection but others may not be.

Edited by Phantom
Added information

Being able to develop personal feelings for a fictional character is one of the primary qualities necessary in an otaku.  Throughout my life as an otaku, there have been characters - whether heroine or otherwise - that I came to love deeply.  In many cases, the knowledge that my journey with them was over was enough to make me cry openly, and I still have a deep affection for them to this day. 

A few examples:

Tonoko (Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no)- My experience with this girl wrenched my heart to the core, my vicarious experience of the development of her relationship with Tsukasa, both as a father figure and a lover, touched me on so many levels that it became the standard by which I judge nakige heroines to this day.  While I came to love Shino and Miyabi as well, it was Tonoko that I still think of as my daughter to this day.

Spoiler

Dmitri Karanikov (Evolimit)- A big bear of a man, always full of laughter, deep in life experience, and with the great heart of a hero.  While his love for his daughter and his love of humanity were used to turn him into a monster, the fact remains that his nature was that of a hero.  His deep love for humanity, despite all its faults, and his willingness to spend his very soul and life for it break my heart to this very day.

Shou (Karenai Sekai to Owaru Hana)- Shou is the most recent of these examples, a young man driven by deep love and purpose, selfless in his desire to save the heroines of the story.  From the very beginning, Shou set out on a path he knew would mean horrible agony, the loss of his sense of self, and, in the end, the loss of his very existence.  He did it from a deep and endless love for the girls who were his family and sacrificed everything for the promise me made to their surrogate parent, even the girls' memories of their childhood together.  His gentleness and willingness to take on the pain of a family who no longer remembered him brings tears out of me just as I write this.

4 minutes ago, Clephas said:

In many cases, the knowledge that my journey with them was over was enough to make me cry openly, and I still have a deep affection for them to this day.

Seriously, thank you so much for this and the examples you have given. I'm just happy I see other people having the same type of affection as me for these characters and they are indeed special. I didn't mention but I have also cried openly during visual novels, including the one I just mentioned. Sometimes the end is just too hard for me to bear... This one was one of the hardest hitting ones and I will never forget her. She will make me a stronger person.

I think I'm closest to the first option in the poll. Meaning, I sometimes develop feelings for the heroines in the VN or anime I'm watching, and sometimes even wish that they were real, but usually I get over it - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to read other routes or other VNs ;)

But still, some of those 2D girls have their own little space in the corner of my heart. I experienced this for example when rereading Princess Evangile recently - I almost instantly felt like coming back home, and was really glad to see them again :)

I use escapism to nurture my crippled mental state, so I obviously get really deep into those feelings. On the condition that the writing, atmosphere and/or characters made me care enough. 

Edited by TexasDice
EDIT: Disregarding the romance aspect entirely, I would want to trade with the protagonist on the sole merit that I'm way more competent than most of them.

Does empathy count as a personal feeling? It's necessary to enjoy any character focused story in the first place after all.

Aside from that when I played, watched or read something there weren't any deeper feelings involved (I think. I probably wouldn't notice even if it were the case).

Wishing a character would exist in RL or the feeling of wnating to swap roles with the Protagonist is in my opinion not necessarily connected to that though.

3 minutes ago, sarkasmus said:

Does empathy count as a personal feeling? It's necessary to enjoy any character focused story in the first place after all.

Aside from that when I played, watched or read something there weren't any deeper feelings involved (I think. I probably wouldn't notice even if it were the case).

Wishing a character would exist in RL or the feeling of wnating to swap roles with the Protagonist is in my opinion not necessarily connected to that though.

I would say empathy is indeed a personal feeling towards a character but isn't as deep rooted as being attached to a character or feeling a loss when their story is over. It sounds like you've taken a more third person view on a story in my opinion. I'd say if you play a visual novel (or something similar) and you find yourself invested into a character and thinking about them, try to be in the protagonists shoes and think about them more on a personal level. I do that most of the time and it likely makes me more attached as I feel more invested into the story on a personal level. And I'd also say that even if there weren't deeper feelings involved, some were great for just characters that were very likable and fun to be a part of. I'd say one of them that 100% fits that bill for me has to be little busters. Someone may want to swap roles with the protagonist (Riki in this scenario) and be part of a very fun group of people. The main reason Meguru got to me on a deeper level was the relatability I shared with her. She is someone I've personally been longing for and in my eyes, a dream girl. Of course for some, it never runs that deep and that could be for many reasons. I hope I hit most of the points and didn't miss any, please let me know if I didn't respond correctly or completely missed the point! :sachi:

2 hours ago, adamstan said:

I think I'm closest to the first option in the poll. Meaning, I sometimes develop feelings for the heroines in the VN or anime I'm watching, and sometimes even wish that they were real, but usually I get over it - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to read other routes or other VNs ;)

But still, some of those 2D girls have their own little space in the corner of my heart. I experienced this for example when rereading Princess Evangile recently - I almost instantly felt like coming back home, and was really glad to see them again :)

Very nice to hear your opinion on this, I find that when you said 'it felt like coming back home' after returning to a visual novel I smiled; it's such a nice statement to say about a visual novel experience. A thought I've seen around about playing through another route after completing someone you've been interested in (or find the best) is that either it feels like you are cheating on that character or you are no longer there to support them and help them with their problems on a personal level. I'd like to think there are multiple universes in the game where I can be with each of these people and no one gets left out but when you get really invested in one character, I'd like to be the protagonist that stays with them.

13 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I'd like to think there are multiple universes in the game

YU-NO for example actually made it major story element :)

13 minutes ago, Phantom said:

either it feels like you are cheating on that character or you are no longer there to support them and help them with their problems on a personal level.

Fortunately most of the times I don't feel like that, but sometimes the game keeps reminding you of this - like YMK with Aeka. That's why I saved her route for last. (like doing side-quests in RPG before moving main story to the next chapter ;) )

Edited by adamstan

I do know that feeling of sadness and i almost can't stand when i finish the story with a character i really, really love, be it anime, vn or game. Unfortunately while i do get attached to characters i can't get romantically attached to them like in the RL kind of romance feeling, i do love them but as fiction and that's it, i'm actually rather jealous of those that can cross that barrier, my brain apparently wont allow it, then again i am wondering if i haven't completely shut that feeling down even in RL.

5 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Well, some vn's force a heroine in your face in a way that makes you feel bad for her when choosing someone else. Most recent example is hoshiori with the childhood friend

Oh i sure know what you mean, for me Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai Road was really hard because of this, the other routes where nice but regardless of how interesting the perspective was, it still left a bad taste in my mouth every time i wasn't on the main route.

Edited by +StrikeR+

2 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Well, some vn's force a heroine in your face in a way that makes you feel bad for her when choosing someone else. Most recent example is hoshiori with the childhood friend

Spoilers for Hatsukoi 1/1!

Spoiler

I totally get this feeling and never experienced worse than Hatsukoi 1/1. In Runa's route you get punched in the face like 100 times with Yukino's love when it isn't even her route! It was a really sad route because I could feel how much Runa was hurting and enduring which actually made me dislike Yukino as a character. I still have yet to play her route, I'll likely be doing it soon just to get it done. It was a while ago so maybe I'll actually end up finding her decent? I still liked Runa the best out of them.

I loved Yukino as a character but her route is considered by many the worst in the whole game. MC does some really facepalm-worthy shit there ;) The ending is nice, but the route requires some endurance to get through ;)

(for me it wasn't that hard, but I understand where do critics come from. Well, one of the first VNs I read was infamous Harukoi Otome - after I survived Yuika's route, where for maaaany days in a row the protagonist would just whine to himself and do nothing else, Hatsukoi 1/1 was nothing compared to that :D )

Edited by adamstan

11 minutes ago, +StrikeR+ said:

I do know that feeling of sadness and i almost can't stand when i finish the story with a character i really, really love, be it anime, vn or game. Unfortunately while i do get attached to characters i can't get romantically attached to them like in the RL kind of romance feeling, i do love them but as fiction and that's it, i'm actually rather jealous of those that can cross that barrier, my brain apparently wont allow it, then again i am wondering if i haven't completely shut that feeling down even in RL.

Oh i sure know what you mean, for me Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai Road was really hard because of this, the other routes where nice but regardless of how interesting the perspective was, it still left a bad taste in my mouth every time i wasn't on the main route.

Be content that tsujidou isn't so cute in her actual route, just in the other routes. I actually think she has the worst route of the three.

1 minute ago, Stormwolf said:

I actually think she has the worst route of the three.

Out of curiosity - which one would you consider the best? I have hard time deciding, but indeed despite writer's efforts to force Ai upon us, it didn't feel that bad to go for other girls. (and I did her route first)

Edited by adamstan

6 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Out of curiosity - which one would you consider the best? I have hard time deciding, but indeed despite writer's efforts to force Ai upon us, it didn't feel that bad to go for other girls. (and I did her route first)

Renne/renna i think. The blue wasnt bad either. Ai isnt really that bad, but it struck me that she took dai for granted in her route, while being desperate and lovestruck in others. I'd do her route first

Edited by Stormwolf

18 minutes ago, adamstan said:

I cannot lie, I do not like it when one route gets the most attention or is the 'true route' or 'true ending'. That's why I say that these have multiple timelines where every route / character gets supported and gets their (usually) happy ending. I haven't played the other routes of Sanoba Witch but I can say good effort was put into Meguru's route. I cannot wait to see the other routes but I'm already happy enough with just that one character. I hope the other routes are enjoyable.

2 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I hope the other routes are enjoyable.

Yeah, I liked them all. I went with Tsumugi -> Meguru -> Touko -> Wakana -> Nene1 -> Nene2 order.

If you started with Meguru, I'd suggest going for Tsumugi next, and then Touko and Nene. Nene2 is "true route", and is a continuation of Nene1, that's why I think it's best to keep Nene's route for last. Tsumugi was good introductory route for the "magical" part of the story, and also, while still good, the weakest one for me, so it's good to do it near the beginning.

It's like - it was good route, but each next one was even better than the previous. (Wakana is a side route that can be played at any time, but AFAIK it unlocks after completing at least one main route).

I think the option that would fit my feelings is missing, and it would be "I had feelings for VN characters, but was satisfied with the story/conclusion they've received". The one character that I connected the most when reading a VN was actually a protagonist, Flowers' Suoh, just because of how similar she was to me and how she resembled my own struggles. That's also why, unlike the whole rest of the internet apparently, really liked Rika's ending to the first episode of that series. Not because Rika's was that great of a heroine or that she didn't deserve to be rejected for what she did to Suoh, but because she was the kind of partner Suoh needed. A strong person that would protect her, but also help her heal and cope with her insecurities.

Having an ending that signalized all that, I couldn't be sad - I was satisfied and even if I have "parted" with the characters, I could always fantasize on where their stories would go after that. That's a general rule for me - if I really connected with a character and a story, I would always let my mind wander after finishing it. And even later, I usually don't forget about those characters or "get over them", but, I guess, I simply cherish the memories of them, without any sadness connected to that (of course, assuming their stories give them closure/hope for a good future).

And, of course, considering many of my favourite works are yuri, there's not much "self-insert/switching positions with the protagonist" potential there. I treat the protagonists and heroines as their own characters. There's no reason for me to want them in my reality, because I would be of no interest to them.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Be content that tsujidou isn't so cute in her actual route, just in the other routes. I actually think she has the worst route of the three.

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Renne/renna i think. The blue wasnt bad either. Ai isnt really that bad, but it struck me that she took dai for granted in her route, while being desperate and lovestruck in others. I'd do her route first

To each their own Waifu and views, Ai's route was my favorite, you'd just think i'm trolling if i'll tell you who's was my least favorite :p. And the way i saw it Dai was the stuck up one, forcing his "ideals" to much on Ai, and just because he didn't understood how others felt or understood their views they where wrong and he was right. Dai irritated me to no end, especially with Ai since she let just to much slide, if anything she makes way to many compromises for him.

5 minutes ago, +StrikeR+ said:

To each their own Waifu and views, Ai's route was my favorite, you'd just think i'm trolling if i'll tell you who's was my least favorite :p. And the way i saw it Dai was the stuck up one, forcing his "ideals" to much on Ai, and just because he didn't understood how others felt or understood their views they where wrong and he was right. Dai irritated me to no end, especially with Ai since she let just to much slide, if anything she makes way to many compromises for him.

That is true, but she knrw how he was from the beginning. Find me the guy who would accept being stood up on a date because his/her partner would rather fight. Not to mention how she broke up because she would never change and would always fight if a fight was brewing, yet later she did just that and made a point of saying it was not because of Dai. Then why did she suddenly avoid the fight after breaking up? 

I just can't get myself to like that girl.

Edited by Stormwolf

28 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Having an ending that signalized all that, I couldn't be sad - I was satisfied and even if I have "parted" with the characters, I could always fantasize on where their stories would go after that. That's a general rule for me - if I really connected with a character and a story, I would always let my mind wander after finishing it. And even later, I usually don't forget about those characters or "get over them", but, I guess, I simply cherish the memories of them, without any sadness connected to that (of course, assuming their stories give them closure/hope for a good future).

That is a nice way of thinking about it, I have no doubt that I'll be letting my mind wander too thinking about what could happen next in that story but I generally don't feel too satisfied if I ended up really being invested with a character I have lots in common with. It's like I had so much fun I don't want it to end. :wub: