Hetzer123

In most cases, these are spoilers, so I have to put them in spoilers: 

Spoiler

Untranslated: Bullet Butlers (in some of the paths)

Draculius

Ojou-sama wa Gokigen Naname (royal in the sense that the main heroine's family essentially rules the Japanese financial world)

Venus Blood Frontier (this is perhaps the one closest to the example given)

Ouzoku

Edit: I didn't see the royal part in the title...  *edits out the ones that don't have that*

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 12:48 AM, Clephas said:

Reveal hidden contents

Draculius

Ojou-sama wa Gokigen Naname (royal in the sense that the main heroine's family essentially rules the Japanese financial world)

Ouzoku

Edit: I didn't see the royal part in the title...  *edits out the ones that don't have that*

The ones inside the spoiler look really interesting, Draculius especially. I tried looking up a few reviews, but a quick scan spoiled a major development in the game. Can you talk about it, and give it a few descriptions for me? Romance, Chuuni, Moe, Slice of Life(the last two I consider worthless), Intrigue. Looking at the description in VNDB shows there is a level of political intrigue, which is just my jam. I don't like Slice of life, nor Moeges.

Edited by MegaHP3

6 minutes ago, Clephas said:

The actual story of this tilts back and forth between the more absurd slice-of-life and the more serious parts

I don't know what that means exactly. Does the game just go long boring stretches of Slice of Life like Tiny dungeon?

also "a 'joke' path where Jun doesn't make the full transition to a vampire during the story (focused on Rian and Zeno)"

Does this mean that those 2 heroines' routes are jokes?

Just now, MegaHP3 said:

I don't know what that means exactly. Does the game just go long boring stretches of Slice of Life like Tiny dungeon?

also "a 'joke' path where Jun doesn't make the full transition to a vampire during the story (focused on Rian and Zeno)"

Does this mean that those 2 heroines' routes are jokes?

There are only two paths in the game, one is the true/harem path, the other the joke path.

No, there isn't as much SOL as Tiny Dungeon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 12:48 AM, Clephas said:

Reveal hidden contents

Draculius

Ouzoku

I should've asked this then, but allow me to do so now. What are the titles you removed?

10 hours ago, MegaHP3 said:

I should've asked this then, but allow me to do so now. What are the titles you removed?

Spoiler

Hello, Lady

Muramasa

Yomegami

Ou no Mimi ni wa Todokanai (I suppose that this would also count for the original post, but I didn't think of it at the time.)

Semiramis no Tenbin (more of conventional modern family conflicts)

Reminiscence (think a cold war between siblings)

2 hours ago, Clephas said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hello, Lady

Muramasa

Yomegami

Ou no Mimi ni wa Todokanai (I suppose that this would also count for the original post, but I didn't think of it at the time.)

Semiramis no Tenbin (more of conventional modern family conflicts)

Reminiscence (think a cold war between siblings)

By the way, thank you so much for that Draculius suggestion. I really liked the protagonist, he really was special. I don't think I've played a VN with a highschool setting this well thought. The protagonist isn't the "overpowered underdog" trope that you see all the time in Chuuni, things don't always go to plan, he loses limps, his perspective on people changes, and even a friend. Jun's enemies are competent, and compelling. Great setting for a vampire VN, it's just really well written, well executed piece.

Edited by MegaHP3

8 hours ago, MegaHP3 said:

By the way, thank you so much for that Draculius suggestion. I really liked the protagonist, he really was special. I don't think I've played a VN with a highschool setting this well thought. The protagonist isn't the "overpowered underdog" trope that you see all the time in Chuuni, things don't always go to plan, he loses limps, his perspective on people changes, and even a friend. Jun's enemies are competent, and compelling. Great setting for a vampire VN, it's just really well written, well executed piece.

I honestly think that anyone who likes vampires should play Draculius... it has the same writer as Grisaia, and the style is pretty similar.

53 minutes ago, Clephas said:

I honestly think that anyone who likes vampires should play Draculius... it has the same writer as Grisaia, and the style is pretty similar.

I am intrigued by your ideas, and would like to subscribe to your mailing list.

Draculius actually comes highly recommended by someone else (who isn't really in the scene anymore, I don't think - his old site literally died (disk crash or something) and his new one eventually went offline).  Nargrakhan really liked it.  But he also really liked Euphoria, which did impress me but I found a deeply flawed and ultimately unsatisfying experience.  I've kind of meant to try it out eventually.

2 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

I am intrigued by your ideas, and would like to subscribe to your mailing list.

Draculius actually comes highly recommended by someone else (who isn't really in the scene anymore, I don't think - his old site literally died (disk crash or something) and his new one eventually went offline).  Nargrakhan really liked it.  But he also really liked Euphoria, which did impress me but I found a deeply flawed and ultimately unsatisfying experience.  I've kind of meant to try it out eventually.

Honestly, i think it would be great if they made more games in the same setting... but instead we got that crappy 'spiritual sequel' in Libra, which is obviously derived from the same ideas but has a much crappier protagonist and set of heroines (no Belche to give them life).

*Clephas extracts the mind-control tentacles from Nandemonai's brain*

20 hours ago, Clephas said:

Honestly, i think it would be great if they made more games in the same setting... but instead we got that crappy 'spiritual sequel' in Libra, which is obviously derived from the same ideas but has a much crappier protagonist and set of heroines (no Belche to give them life).

*Clephas extracts the mind-control tentacles from Nandemonai's brain*

Do you know any other that has as great a protagonist as Jun from Draculius? He really offered perspective, wasn't OP, and really smart. I literally just finished it. I am ecstatic right now, I tried Dies Irae, but the protagonist was really awful, a shit ton of pacing issues, weak villains that were always weaker. None of the heroes got hurt, and they were static from beginning to end(Protagonist especially). When I asked people said this is the Chuuni genre. Draculius is none of that, the characters all get development, from small to major. Is Draculius even a Chuuni? 

You said that Grisaia has similar writing to it, that's surprising. They both have the same writer. I couldn't get into the game because of how weak the game's "comedy" and characters, and I can't say it does have anything similar to Draculius from what I read so far. Does it actually get better later on?

Edited by MegaHP3

2 hours ago, MegaHP3 said:

Do you know any other that has as great a protagonist as Jun from Draculius? He really offered perspective, wasn't OP, and really smart. I literally just finished it. I am ecstatic right now, I tried Dies Irae, but the protagonist was really awful, a shit ton of pacing issues, weak villains that were always weaker. None of the heroes got hurt, and they were static from beginning to end(Protagonist especially). When I asked people said this is the Chuuni genre. Draculius is none of that, the characters all get development, from small to major. Is Draculius even a Chuuni? 

You said that Grisaia has similar writing to it, that's surprising. They both have the same writer. I couldn't get into the game because of how weak the game's "comedy" and characters, and I can't say it does have anything similar to Draculius from what I read so far. Does it actually get better later on?

Play the Japanese version of Grisaia and you'll see the similarities pretty quickly.  The translated version loses a lot of the 'flavor' of his writing.  I'd also suggest Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori, just for kicks.

As for similar protagonists...

HHG ( Hyper→Highspeed→Genius )

Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide

Ojou-sama no Hanbun wa Ren'ai de Dekiteimasu

Ojou-sama wa Gokigen Naname

Kikan Bakumatsu Ibun (borderline... protagonist gains various different perspectives based on which of the main story paths you head down, and he is intelligent.  However, he is uneducated.)

Re;Birth Colony

Reminiscence

To be honest, most of the time, when the protagonist is intelligent, he is also OP, so it was hard to think of more examples...

37 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Play the Japanese version of Grisaia and you'll see the similarities pretty quickly.  The translated version loses a lot of the 'flavor' of his writing.  I'd also suggest Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori, just for kicks.

As for similar protagonists...

Examples...

To be honest, most of the time, when the protagonist is intelligent, he is also OP, so it was hard to think of more examples...

Some of these have really intriguing setups, as well as some tags that get me intrigued. But having read a lot of VNs with covers that show nothing but the heroines (hand-reaching, holding their hands to their chests, and looking stupid) I have become rather afraid that these will turn out to be slice of life, moe, boredom. Now, the reason I didn't dislike Draculius's SoL, is because slice of life in Draculius, is no where near the point of the game and are kept at short lengths far inbetween. 

Can you go over these for me, and tell me if their SoL, Moege aspects aren't at lengths? (disliked Tiny Dungeon because of it)

Hyper High Genius           

Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide        (The themes here on display sound interesting and amazing)

Ojou-sama no Hanbun wa Ren'ai de Dekiteimasu!     

Ojou-sama wa Gokigen Naname  (The description sounds amazing, you've described it as economical struggle before and I've had it on my mind since)    

Kikan Bakumatsu Ibun Last Cavalier    (Caramel Box always worries me for some reason, lmao)

Re:birth Colony -Lost Azurite-        

Also, I don't really mind if they're OP, as long as the scenarios are compelling, and the game doesn't try to lie to you about it. Like the trope of "underpowered underdog" is especially something I hate, when they try to sell the villains are big, bad and mean, and they're just really nothing but hot air. You know, how some writers will make the protagonist "smart" by writing everyone else to be idiots. By the way, what do you mean by "kicks"? As in laughs? Not "Umf" right?

Edited by MegaHP3

With HHG, if you stick to the main story paths, the SOL takes a back seat to the story.

Tenshi no Hane is not genre-bound, so I suggest you try it before asking people if you'll like it.  The protagonist is generally capable and intelligent.

The protagonist of Ojou-sama no Hanbun wa Ren'ai de Dekiteimasu is an ambitious spy/agent working for a syndicate that has been running Japan for decades, at the very least.  While the main game is SOL, what he is doing is interesting enough that it doesn't bother my SOL rejection instincts.

Ojou-sama wa Gokigen Naname- The protagonist, Hajime, is an all-around capable guy whose objective in life is protecting his mistress... but his years working with some really psycho and corrupt people have made him seriously cynical. 

As for Caramel Box, you shouldn't feel that way.  Takaya Aya is one of the best writers in VNs, capable of writing anything from SOL to chuunige with sublime skill.  His characters are inevitably interesting, and his stories are great.  Kikan Bakumatsu is a first class game (My VN of the Year for the year it came out), and I seriously recommend you at least try it.

Re;Birth Colony is one of those games you shouldn't judge by its cover.  The SOL isn't the point or objective of the story, which is both deep and dark.

Hello, Lady's protagonist is highly intelligent (Genius-level, even) but he is also generally OP against most opponents.