solidbatman AMA v3: re

solidbatman

Noticing some interest in fuwahistory on a few threads, I'm bored, and I wanna spur some sort of discussion today. So, feel free to ask me anything about myself, VNs, old reviews, fuwanovel in general, etc. 

Note to mods: Not sure if Member's Lounge is fine for this. If not, or it gets super spammy, feel free to move it. 

Hmm... If you don't mind me asking... What was your first VN? and are you still playing/reading one nowadays? :sachi:

And also, since Visual Novels are already popular in the west for it caused plenty of issues on Steam such as the recently banning of Hello Good-bye VN and subjects of censorship a few months ago this year. 

GOG.COM, Steam's rival is also hosting a handful of VNs provided by Mangagamer and Sekai Project which is quite unheard of as GOG.COM has strict curation policies since most VNs does not have much gameplay aspect to it... 

Which begs the question, did Fuwanovel finally achieved its goal or vision that is to make Visual Novel popular in the west? Is Fuwanovel still relevant? 

Lastly. How did Fuwanovel become a thing or begun I guess, cannot seemed to find the right words to it. Well I could always search the answer in one of the forums but I guess its much more interesting to ask somebody who was part of it from the very beginning. 

That's all thank you!:mare:

52 minutes ago, Templarseeker said:

Hmm... If you don't mind me asking... What was your first VN? and are you still playing/reading one nowadays? :sachi:

And also, since Visual Novels are already popular in the west for it caused plenty of issues on Steam such as the recently banning of Hello Good-bye VN and subjects of censorship a few months ago this year. 

GOG.COM, Steam's rival is also hosting a handful of VNs provided by Mangagamer and Sekai Project which is quite unheard of as GOG.COM has strict curation policies since most VNs does not have much gameplay aspect to it... 

Which begs the question, did Fuwanovel finally achieved its goal or vision that is to make Visual Novel popular in the west? Is Fuwanovel still relevant? 

Lastly. How did Fuwanovel become a thing or begun I guess, cannot seemed to find the right words to it. Well I could always search the answer in one of the forums but I guess its much more interesting to ask somebody who was part of it from the very beginning. 

That's all thank you!:mare:

First VN was Analogue: A Hate Story followed about a year later by Ever 17 I believe. I still read them occasionally but they usually have to stand out greatly, be an EVN, or be from someone I know for me to really pick one up and read now.

Fuwanovel likely had little to do with VNs taking off in the west like they have over the past few years. I think the fact Fuwanovel got larger was due to an already existing interest in VNs in the western world. Fuwanovel is more an result of the popularity of VNs, not the cause. As for relevancy, I believe it can be like it was in the past. VNTS was very popular, and some of the information pages that were planned would be a boon. Hopefully these can be revived in the near future because I think Fuwanovel can still be a valuable resource for news, reviews, and guides with its current existing user base.

I wasn't here at the very beginning, but Aaeru's goal was to create a visual novel repository of pre-patched VNs to make downloading and playing VNs far easier for people who were unwilling, or unable to install patches which required you to be able to find the VN in question, pirate it, and then get the patch from the fan TL website. Sometimes these patches were impossible to get as were the VNs, so Aaeru sought to make it easier for people to get those VNs by providing the torrents and a seedbox. The forums sort of got tacked on. She believed that by lowering the difficulty of acquiring VNs, more people would be interested in trying them out. Even her "What is a VN" page oversimplified what a VN was to target fans of anime/manga in hopes of getting them hooked.