Higurashi Arc discussion

Happiness+

Okay. So, help me understand this.

Is there a way for me to read in English all other Higurashi arcs in visual novel form?

Because I thought Manga Gamer only translated the eight original ones. I thought most of the other arcs were only in weren’t localized like Kotohogushi-hen and Someutsushi-hen. I would love to read a new Higurashi VN that delve into arcs besides the original eight we deal with before. People from a previous post I made were talking as though that this VN was translated in English 👀

Higurashi Rei came out after the original 8 arcs and is split into 3 stories, the first two are just comedic and aren't translated (although you can watch the anime versions with subtitles), but the third one has a fan translation and is well worth reading, especially if you go on to read Umineko as it explains the background of a certain character that reappears there. You can get the patch via vndb here: https://vndb.org/r9207

16 hours ago, Happiness+ said:

Because I thought Manga Gamer only translated the eight original ones.

They released them in English long time ago, right now they are rereleasing them with updated art and translation. Right now they are done with 6 arcs from the main games, but they are also going to translate other PC arcs, including Rei and Hou.

Also, like @BunnyAdvocate said, the main story in Rei was fan-translated long ago.

• 1 month later...

Ahh yes, I would really like to read the Higurashi VN(s) as well but at the moment I am terribly confused with the many variations of this VN. And I would really like to read them in the right order. So could anybody help me sort this mess out?

We have on VNDB:

Then we have these on Steam:

plus this one:

It seems all of these Steam-Link-Products are also available on MangaGamer

So how does this all add up?

As far as I can interpret all the info I have:

• Originally there were Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (question arc) and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (answer arc) and they made up the whole story(?). Both were translated by Mangagamer. These two consisted of 8 chapters(?).
  • The 6 chapters on Steam/MangaGamer are a new translation of the 2 above mentioned VNs. But which of the original games do they cover? And obvioulsly 2 chapers are still missing?
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou - according to the last link above - contains the 6 chapters that I linked. But is there anything else? Anything new? Or is it just Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai in one Edition (obviously not according to VNDB). Is the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou on steam the same as the one on VNDB?
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei: I have no idea where that fits in. Is it just a spin-off? Is it an additional story? A sequel?

Phew, this is just so brain-wrecking... please illuminate me :)

Edited by AustriaVNFan
styling

2 hours ago, AustriaVNFan said:

You can see it this way: the main story of Higurashi consists of two separate games: Higurashi and Higurashi Kai. Each of them consists of 4 chapters. Originally both games were released episodically, one chapter at a time, and the retranslation is being released in English the same way. So, basically, the first four chapters are Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and chapters 5, 6, and currently unreleased chapters 7 and 8 are Higurashi Kai. Chapters 7 and 8 will be released in the future.

Both were translated by Mangagamer. These two consisted of 8 chapters(?).

Yeah, in the original translation. The retranslation is still ongoing.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei: I have no idea where that fits in. Is it just a spin-off? Is it an additional story? A sequel?

It's a fan-disk. It adds three additional chapters to the main game, but only one of them is serious in nature, and none of them are particularly important for the main story.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou - according to the last link above - contains the 6 chapters that I linked. But is there anything else? Anything new? Or is it just Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai in one Edition (obviously not according to VNDB). Is the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou on steam the same as the one on VNDB?

Higurashi Hou is a recent rerelease of the whole Higurashi franchase in Japanese that added some new content. Basically, it fully contains the first 3 games (Higurashi, Kai and Rei), but also adds three more additional chapters. This vndb page was made specifically for these three chapters, even though none of them were ever released separately. Just like with Higurashi Rei, none of them are important for the main story.

Mangagamer are translating this version of the game, so all of the chapters in this version should be released at some point.

Edited by Dreamysyu

Thank you, Dreamysyu, for enlightening me. So this basically means that when Chapters 7 and 8 are out I can enjoy the original stories of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni + Kai with everything coming after that just being an added bonus. And I assume once all 8 chapters are out it makes sense to read them in order from 1 to 8?

And did I understand that right?

Chapter 1 is chapter 1 from Higurashi, chapter 2 is chapter 2 from Higurashi etc... until chapter 5 is chapter 1 from Higurashi Kai (as opposed to chapter 2 is chapter 1 from Higurashi Kai)?

52 minutes ago, AustriaVNFan said:

Thank you, Dreamysyu, for enlightening me. So this basically means that when Chapters 7 and 8 are out I can enjoy the original stories of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni + Kai with everything coming after that just being an added bonus. And I assume once all 8 chapters are out it makes sense to read them in order from 1 to 8?

And did I understand that right?

Chapter 1 is chapter 1 from Higurashi, chapter 2 is chapter 2 from Higurashi etc... until chapter 5 is chapter 1 from Higurashi Kai (as opposed to chapter 2 is chapter 1 from Higurashi Kai)?

Yeah, exactly.

3 hours ago, AustriaVNFan said:

oh, I forgot one thing to ask:

I heard the old Higurashi did not have voices. Is that also true for the new version or did they add voiceover now?

No, they didn't, but there are unofficial patches online that add voices, CGs and  background art from the Japanese PS3 version of Higurashi to the Steam version.

Edited by Dreamysyu

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 2:42 PM, Dreamysyu said:

It's a fan-disk. It adds three additional chapters to the main game, but only one of them is serious in nature, and none of them are particularly important for the main story.

Just correcting "and none of them are particularly important for the main story."

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei is composed of Batsukoishi, Hirukowashi and Saikoroshi.
Batsukoishi and Hirukowashi are not important to history and are not canonical, however, Saikoroshi is canonical and occurs after the main series (ch.8)
It is important to read Saikoroshi because of a connection that makes Umineko, besides being considered as an epilogue for the serie

Edited by KazeHanabe