PLEASE HELP: Trying to make subs using Visual Novel Reader

Hello everyone,

I am very new to Visual Novel Reader but there is a visual novel I have wanted to play for years and I finally got my hands on a copy. I know there are plenty of others out there who would enjoy it as well and so, seeing as I'm consulting my Japanese dictionary every two seconds anyway, I thought I'd use the 'subtitle' feature in VNR to translate it for people. However I'm not sure how to get it to work properly. Everything is working fine up until the first choice, then it's like the text forgets it needs to branch out and either doesn't appear, or appears at the wrong place. Am I doing something wrong?

And is it easier to do the translation via VNR's soft subs? Or would making an entire English patch be better? But I'm very new and not technical at all so while I could do the translation, I have no idea where to even begin with patching it and making sure everything goes in the right place. Please help! :3

animeXalchemist