What is your motivation?

Cali

So alot of you have watched and read a fair deal of anime and visual novels. Therefore i was curious of what people thought of this topic.

What keeps YOU comming back to read visual novels or watching anime? ^_^

It's ok if you wanna split the visual novels and anime for two separate reasons

Bottom line is that we all like watching and reading this stuff so that goes without saying. However there is a reason why we keep remembering certain characters from either anime shows or visual novels right?

Personally for me, they produce memories, strong memories in some cases. From there comes an emotional feeling of attachment to either characters or areas.

Heh just look at peoples avatars and signatures its a good bet they know a great deal about that specific character they are displaying, or novel/anime and have good/bad memories about it.

So whenever i finish a novel or anime i liked, i can't help but feel a bit sad since it's over.

I guess the journey is better then the end for me  :(.

I don't read and watch visual novels/anime so i can get to the end and i can move on to another on, but because i come to care about the characters that gets created in the amazing novel/anime.

it's something that i remember and stays with me.

But hey if you just like to watch anime and read novels because it's cool, thats fine too  :D

Hm. I guess it's time to tell a bit of myself to more people.

So, I'm somewhat of a hikkikomori. The Brazillian government blessed me with a slackjob that I can do at home (it's basically organizing files and sending emails), and because of very personal reasons, it would be somewhat insane for me to go outside of my own free will.

I use supermarket delivery when I want something, so I don't really go out. Until not so long ago, there was a certain idiot that forced me to go out, but that person is not here anymore.

So, my motivation? they provide me a life. I gave up on 3D completely (again, for very personal reasons), however, I genuinely have fun with animes, VNs, mangas and such. 

They provide me the sort of fun and entertainment that I would never be able to have normally, considering my issues. I specially like seeing incredible protagonists and imagining myself as the heroine. "I may not be able to  fly, but someday someone who can may take me with him".... I know better than anyone about how that is just a fantasy, but I can't really give up on it. I guess I'm quite the childish one, huh~

Well, there is still much of the Otaku culture for me to brave, and I'm already doing this since 7 years ago. I still feel like I'm just at the beginning. Since they provide me an incredible amount of happiness, and since I pretty much only keep learning and entering more and more at this culture, I guess that in the end, I must be one of the happiest people on earth. I spend over 14 hours of my day with a smile in my face because of it, after all.

So, that's my answer. They make my life worth living~

Either I want to know what happens next in the story/how it's all going to end, or I grow fond of  the characters, or both.

I barely watch anime these days because of visual novels. VNs give me the depth that I don't feel like I get from anime, so it's hard to go back.

Hm. I guess it's time to tell a bit of myself to more people.

So, I'm somewhat of a hikkikomori. The Brazillian government blessed me with a slackjob that I can do at home (it's basically organizing files and sending emails), and because of very personal reasons, it would be somewhat insane for me to go outside of my own free will.

I use supermarket delivery when I want something, so I don't really go out. Until not so long ago, there was a certain idiot that forced me to go out, but that person is not here anymore.

So, my motivation? they provide me a life. I gave up on 3D completely (again, for very personal reasons), however, I genuinely have fun with animes, VNs, mangas and such. 

They provide me the sort of fun and entertainment that I would never be able to have normally, considering my issues. I specially like seeing incredible protagonists and imagining myself as the heroine. "I may not be able to  fly, but someday someone who can may take me with him".... I know better than anyone about how that is just a fantasy, but I can't really give up on it. I guess I'm quite the childish one, huh~

Well, there is still much of the Otaku culture for me to brave, and I'm already doing this since 7 years ago. I still feel like I'm just at the beginning. Since they provide me an incredible amount of happiness, and since I pretty much only keep learning and entering more and more at this culture, I guess that in the end, I must be one of the happiest people on earth. I spend over 14 hours of my day with a smile in my face because of it, after all.

So, that's my answer. They make my life worth living~

I did not expect such an honest answer by a mile!

Very personal and i respect that Kaguya thank you ;)

VNs give me the depth that I don't feel like I get from anime, so it's hard to go back.

Actually this can be applied to games in general i think. what if "The last of us" was a visual novel instead of a 3rd person cover shooter :o  would be amazing!

I did not expect such an honest answer by a mile!

Very personal and i respect that Kaguya thank you ;)

It's because we're at fuwanovel that I answered like that. I'm absolutely sure that no one here would troll, mock or sneer at me, and that's why I can give such honest answers~

I also feel like I made some real friends here, together with some great companions to simply playing around with. Also, this is hardly new information, since a lot of people I talk to know this already. Creating memories is also quite a nice reason~

Yeah just like garejei, I play VN/watch anime/read manga or LN because I wanna know what will happens next, and I really can't wait to see how the story ends.
I do feel attached to certain characters, but I don't feel sad or emotional when the series ended and most likely it makes me feel delightful (As if I've accomplished something).

It's because we're at fuwanovel that I answered like that. I'm absolutely sure that no one here would troll, mock or sneer at me that I can give such honest answers~

I also feel like I made some real friends here.

Also, most people at the IRC know this already  (A few know even more than this, actually) so I'm hardly saying anything new.

That's what I love about this place. There is no one that will mock you for what you do (seriously mock, there is always someone messing around with you). It's a place for people with the same interests to gather and make friends. I know that no one I know IRL plays VN's or watches anime, and I'm also sure that if I told them about it, I would just get mocked about it. But here, you can talk about whatever you want with everyone and be treated with respect (mostly), and I consider most of you here as friends.

Anyway, to the topic at hand, I play VN's and watch anime because the story and characters are usually much better than most tv shows, movies and books. The writers seem to connect with their characters more, which in return causes the characters to feel more alive. And every once in a while, I will find a character that I really connect with and begin to care for deeply.

I think I may like VN's just a little bit more than anime because with VN's, not only do you get to choose which character to follow, the story can be expanded upon without the time crunch that comes with anime. But that doesn't mean I don't like anime. There are plenty of anime that I have seen that had characters and a story that I begin to care about, and sometimes the actual visuals helps with the story better than most still images from VN's. And above all else, they are an escape from reality. It's not that I have a bad life or anything like that, but I'm extremely introverted and shy, so it's hard for me to connect with most people. I have no one that I can consider a close friend, so I like to watch anime and read VN's to escape from everything, and I like to came here to talk with people of similar interests.

I don't really watch much anime, but what keeps me motivated to keep playing visual novels is that it offers a catharsis that no other medium matches. The format simply offers more room for investment and release than movies, television, and books.

So whenever i finish a novel or anime i liked, i can't help but feel a bit sad since it's over.

I've got a pretty bad case of this.  I always get a little... uh, apprehensive towards the end of a really good show or novel.

It is very simple for me, Anime and VNs give me enjojmemt like nothing else can,  they give me feelings that I would newer feel otherwise. To tell you the truth I am very bored with real life, before I started watching anime or reading VNs I was doing alot of different things in life, from trying out many different sports, hanging out with friends, going out, having GF etc. But not matter what I would do, what things I would try out doing nothing really give me satisfaction. In the end I would always feel like I just wasted time, and with the time passing by I become totally emotionally dead I didn't feel anything and I didn't care for anything. I couldn't find anything to do that I would enjoy doing so eventually I stopped doing anything and I become one of those people who never leaves home and spend all their time on the computer. I spend all my time reading books, watching movies and TV shows, and playing games, true most of it has been just to kill the time I found that in some best of them I would actually enjoy. But as I spend all my free time doing these things and back then the situation was that all my time was free time, and even before I cut the ties with the real world and started spending all my times on the computer I have watched a great deal of movies, TV shows, played alot of games etc. Pretty soon I have run out of those really great movies, TV shows, games, books that I would enjoy. That was when I started watching anime, and then I found out that I really enjoy it much more than anything else, unlike when I watch movies where I enjoy only when I watch some of the best of them I would enjoy even when I watch an average anime. And what surprised me the most was the fact that I really cared what happens in the anime and what happens to the characters which was quite the surprise as in that time it has already passed few years since the last time I cared for anything or anyone. Right now one and a half year have passed since I started watching anime and I have watched 200+ anime and I still enjoy watching anime like the first time I started watching, maybe even more, and with the exception that of VNs that I also enjoy as much as I enjoy in watching anime there is still nothing other than that I enjoy doing or that I care for or that can make me feel anything. To tell you the truth I myself don't know why am I like that or why I can't enjoy doing normal things that normal persons enjoy doing I just know that I can't. And with that said it is pretty obvious why I continue watching anime and reading VNs and why I will never stop.

I guess for me my motivation is the need for something else to do outside of the normal hustle and bustle of life. A few things keep me from possibly having terrible days and that would include gaming, reading (books/VNs), watching anime, and other things such as social interaction. It really does make for good downtime and is just enjoyable overall. I'd say anime is one of the few things I can do while doing other things compared to say VNs or gaming which requires much more focus. At times I can watch anime and get some chores done or something along those lines. The real reason it probably keeps me coming back for more is my enjoyment of the stories and the overall enjoyment factor of what I watch.

I think its safe to say that visual novels and anime provides a powerful medium for people wanting something different then books and movies. In that regard i would say it has an insane pull with its quality and massiv collection to choose from.

Its a sad thing that alot of people is proberly out there looking for this sort of an entertainment but won't find it because it's not mainstream enough!!

For god sake if i even mentioned at work that i LIKE this sort of entertainment i would be judged a stranger and a idiot because it would it not fit into the "normal" way of thinking.

I forgot the rest i was gonna say.. nm

I was guessing i would get about 2 replies for such a silly question but this is amazing!

Fuwanovel has some very passionate people to say the least ;)

Fuwanovel has some very passionate people to say the least ;)

That's what happens when you gather a lot of like minded people. And that's what I love about fuwanovel.

And you're right. I have never even mentioned to anyone i know irl about how much I like anime and VN's

My motivation is that Tv shows are crap nowadays and I prefer Drama and romance in anime, for some reason it looks more realistic, maybe due to great voice actors and great animation.

There is proberly alot of age restriction and profanity/sexual hints in that regard to anime. People have an expection of anime being pure cartoon comedy, atleast thats my guess since its outside japan. ^_^

my motivation is that I like it and have absolutely no reason to not do it. i'm at that age where people might consider it strange for me to continue watching these shows, but who cares. i'm better than them anyways. i'll do as I please.

Hell i don't care if your 40 or 50. would be cool if there was someone up there in that age class atleast seeing it for what it is

I like reading VNs and watching anime because it helps me relax.  I am the sort of person that can be stressed out very easily, but if I sit down and read a VN or watch an anime, that is not the case.

It's too bad that I didn't discover either VNs or anime until this year.

nyaahoo time to get emotional~

everything changes no matter if it's a living being or not, as long as it exists it will with no doubts change. In the last three years i've been watching anime/manga/VN/LN i have changed a lot, i've learned many things from what i've watched and changed drastically, (specially because of Visual art's/key works) therefore in those three years i lost all of my friends, i lost contact with my family, i lost my social abilities and so here i am  a total different person from what i was.

anime-related works have left me either behind or ahead of most people, whatever the answer to that question is i'm still far away, but even if i change, even if i become a stranger i'll have somewhere to return to, and something that'll make me laugh and beg for air.

nyaa~ i made it shorter than expected~

Basically, I've always been a loner, though not necessarily by choice.

Anyway, that means less peer pressure, and more freedom to judge by my own standard.

And I simply do not like the current American entertainment culture.

I get much more fun out of Japanese anime/manga/games/vn's

Actually this can be applied to games in general i think. what if "The last of us" was a visual novel instead of a 3rd person cover shooter :o  would be amazing!

But games still have actual gameplay which, if fun enough, can make one overlook a mediocre story (DMC series and a million other things come to mind). Aside from occasional choices, both VNs and anime are pure storytelling, hence why I made the connection. VNs may have killed my interest in anime but I doubt they will ever replace games for me.