Your Tips to Finishing VN's

mitchhamilton

47 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

Can't believe this wasn't explicitly mentioned yet: Read the route you want to read most first and the one you want to read the second most, last. Procrastinating the characters you don't care much about makes it almost impossible to get yourself to read the entire thing. 

I'd actually go the other way around. If i start with the one i like the most then the chances of me dropping the vn after a couple more routes that much higher. If i start with the one i dislike the most then chances are high that i actually finish the entire thing.

33 minutes ago, LemiusK said:

There's also the problem of not remembering the story from when you last dropped it. This is a problem even with sequels like "The Labyrinth of Grisaia", where you might not remember what have happened in the first one.

That's the biggest problem, yeah. Actually, in case of Tsukihime I decided to start it from the very beginning after I undropped it. Still, in multiple route VNs where the routes don't heavily depend on each other it becomes less of a problem.

1 hour ago, Thyndd said:

Yeah I guess everyone is different, though if someone is facing the problem of having a huge backlog of dropped VNs, and is expressly looking for advice on how to avoid it, chances are this will hold true for them. 

Ah, yeah, that makes sense.

9 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

I'd actually go the other way around. If i start with the one i like the most then the chances of me dropping the vn after a couple more routes that much higher. If i start with the one i dislike the most then chances are high that i actually finish the entire thing.

I feel like first impressions matter, so if I start with the route I would hate the most... sayonara. Bye bye. Never see you again in two to three years, when I MIGHT get interested in reading you again. A story being interesting is necessary to coax someone like me into reading on. In that sense, TexasDice's advice makes the most sense - enter a route that would keep you reading for some time, then read those you might not enjoy as much, and work your way from there to keep yourself engaged for as long as possible 'till the end.

2 hours ago, LemiusK said:

I feel like first impressions matter, so if I start with the route I would hate the most... sayonara. Bye bye. Never see you again in two to three years, when I MIGHT get interested in reading you again. A story being interesting is necessary to coax someone like me into reading on. In that sense, TexasDice's advice makes the most sense - enter a route that would keep you reading for some time, then read those you might not enjoy as much, and work your way from there to keep yourself engaged for as long as possible 'till the end.

Everyone is different i guess. I like to finish a vn on a high note if possible. Naturally i've burned myself many times where the best girl ends up as the worst during her actual route.

I'm a completionistard and can't even comprehend another point of view. Oh, but I guess there exists people who can't really see things they start through to their end. My momma told me otherwise, though.

If you have lots of VNs you want to read, instead of reading them all at once, make a reading plan. Sadly it's the same as actual work.

It's also fun to make up your own route orders, and perfect them as you get more genre savvy. I agree with leaving some good girl for later on. Thus you keep yourself kinda motivated to read through meh-worthy girls.

Edited by Okarin