A question about Aselia the Eternal

Dreamysyu

I'm playing this game right now, so far it's pretty good. I wanted to ask about recommended route order. I found the walkthrough originally included in the fan patch which suggests playing through the routes in the following order:

Aselia->Esperia->Orpha->Uruka->Lesteena->Kyouko->Tokimi.

I started going through it blind. I'm still at the first chapter so it's probably not too late, but it seems that so far my choices were favoring Esperia. I wonder, does it really matter what route I start with? I know that in some VNs the route order is really important for the flow, even if they aren't locked, and in some it mostly doesn't matter, so, which one is this?

17 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I'm playing this game right now, so far it's pretty good. I wanted to ask about recommended route order. I found the walkthrough originally included in the fan patch which suggests playing through the routes in the following order:

I started going through it blind. I'm still at the first chapter so it's probably not too late, but it seems that so far my choices were favoring Esperia. I wonder, does it really matter what route I start with? I know that in some VNs the route order is really important for the flow, even if they aren't locked, and in some it mostly doesn't matter, so, which one is this?

It matters in the sense that Aselia is main heroine material and it's very unlikely someone has the will to play through the game multiple times. I certainly couldn't, even cheating through the gameplay.

7 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

it's very unlikely someone has the will to play through the game multiple times.

Is it really that bad? I don't know, the game seems rather slow-paced, but it's still fun so far, and the battle system appears to be pretty interesting (though, considering that I died, like, three or four times in the tutorial battle, it definitely seems to be more on the difficult side). I hope I feel the same way after I finish the next... how many? 13 chapters? :leecher:

7 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I certainly couldn't, even cheating through the gameplay.

Is there that much new material on the subsequent playthroughs other than gameplay? From what I've seen in the walkthrough, the game appears to be somewhat linear before the split between the routes.

I don't know, I still haven't decided. I guess, I'll try going through the game blind while trying to aim for Aselia and keep track of the walkthrough to see in which direction I'm going, and if I still fail to get into her route, I'll just watch some let's play on Youtube or something.

13 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Is it really that bad? I don't know, the game seems rather slow-paced, but it's still fun so far, and the battle system appears to be pretty interesting (though, considering that I died, like, three or four times in the tutorial battle, it definitely seems to be more on the difficult side). I hope I feel the same way after I finish the next... how many? 13 chapters? :leecher:

Is there that much new material on the subsequent playthroughs other than gameplay? From what I've seen in the walkthrough, the game appears to be somewhat linear before the split between the routes.

I don't know, I still haven't decided. I guess, I'll try going through the game blind while trying to aim for Aselia and keep track of the walkthrough to see in which direction I'm going, and if I still fail to get into her route, I'll just watch some let's play on Youtube or something.

I believe the problem was that the battle sections took a lot of minutes to get through. It essentially felt as if the game had no skip button and you had to manually click through each line. It does have a skip button, but because you need to get through the many long battle sections, again, and again, it takes as much time as if there weren't one.
If you managed to play all the sections and enjoy them, then you might manage it (though 7 times is obviously a bit much). As for me, I was full of playing the game legitimately half way through.

If you do manage to find a way to experience the other routes without sacrificing so much time, which I feel would be awesome because I really like all the characters, do tell.

EDIT: I know you can make saves at certain points where you have flags set such that you can jump into most routes and skip some gameplay, but you'll miss choices and character moments near the beginning that way, if I recall correctly, and I couldn't pass up any moment with dear Esperia.

Edited by Mr Poltroon

9 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

I played through all the paths, though that was a long time ago... and my opinion is that, while Aselia is the canon heroine (Seinarukana is based off of her being the heroine), you should feel free to do it in any order you like.  The game is long, even with the advantages of New Game+. 

Loved the game, played every route. My recommendation is to play the game with whatever heroine you want (I did Lesteena for instance first and foremost).

There are a few heroines that you can only do after NG+ but otherwise if the battles are an issue for you, you can just use a trainer to get through the "gameplay" aspect of it.

Most of the game is pretty linear with maybe 2ish hours worth of content related to heroines in specific, otherwise many share similar "routes" and only minor changes come from choosing them.

The recommended route is mainly just due to related plots diverging from the main heroine.

Aselia is the main heroine and relates to Esperia, Orpha, Uruka, the later three slightly diverge and maybe Orpha only having a bit more additional content related to her specific plot.

Lesteena is pretty separate from the above 4 so there isn't really a lose in playing hers (and after playing all the routes I personally still enjoyed hers the most but that's personal opinion).

Kyouko and Tokimi are NG+, the later was a good route and probably my second favourite next to lesteena.

Then there is of course the failed-to-get-heroines route and the bad route...

tl;dr choose whichever YOU personally like, you won't miss much, then if you want to go back and do the rest and if you dislike/annoyed by the gameplay, trainer it.

Don't care what anyone says Eien no Aselia is one of my favs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm... Either I'm completely misunderstanding something, or some very important information about this game on its VNDB page is incorrect. According to the original OP, the scenario for this game was written by Takase Naofumi, the same guy who wrote Seinarukana, but he isn't mentioned at all on the game's vndb page. Apparently, Zashiki Neko, who is marked as the only author there, was only an assistant writer.

Could somebody confirm or deny it?

The official Xuse homepage lists Takase Naofumi (高瀬 奈緒) as the scenario writer for both Aselia and Seinarukana, so that should be the official answer.  I don't know why he isn't listed on VNDB; he should be.  I can find nothing that gives credit to Zashiki Neko as a writer for the original Eien no Aselia.

However:  Zashiki Neko (座敷 猫) seems to have been the scenario writer for the Aselia expansion, which included the Kyouko and Tokimi routes.  Then when those were folded into the main game along with the console content, he is listed as the scenario writer for the new material in the Special Edition.  Also did the scenario writing for SpiTan.

Again, he's not listed as a writer for the main Seinarukana game, but he's listed as working as a writer for the Special Edition.

Some updates: I reached the first ending of the game, and yeah, for some reason the ending credits only credit Takase Naofumi for "Game Design". According to them, the scenario was written by Zashiki Neko. I checked the Japanese version of the credits on Youtube (specifically choosing the ending to the Aselia's route), and it's the same there. At the same time, both the official site and all game OPs give the role of the main scenario writer to Takase Naofumi.

I feel Xuse don't know themselves who writes scenario for their games. :makina:

Edited by Dreamysyu

• 1 month later...

Sorry for necroposting, but could somebody who played the Japanese 18+ version spoil me what the evil route was about? It's not included in the English version, and I know it supposed to be terrible or something, but I'm still curious.

On a different note, two months later, and I'm almost done. :michiru: Only have Tokimi's route left at this point.

As for the evil route

it's the route when Yuuto's Desire getting out of control and it's decided to corrupted Yuuto in order to allow him to rape the female characters in order to fill Desire's mana fulfillment.

Note that I don't know if it's really like that or not, but more or less the story was going like that from the spoilers that I gathered.

4 hours ago, littleshogun said:

As for the evil route

Reveal hidden contents

it's the route when Yuuto's Desire getting out of control and it's decided to corrupted Yuuto in order to allow him to rape the female characters in order to fill Desire's mana fulfillment.

Note that I don't know if it's really like that or not, but more or less the story was going like that from the spoilers that I gathered.

Yeah, I realized this much myself (though thanks for answering anyway). I was mostly wondering whether he'd

Spoiler

become a Law Eternal in this path, and how Temuorin's plan would work in this case. I'd expect Yuuto to take Shun's place in this route.

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

Yeah, I realized this much myself (though thanks for answering anyway). I was mostly wondering whether he'd

Hide contents

become a Law Eternal in this path, and how Temuorin's plan would work in this case. I'd expect Yuuto to take Shun's place in this route.

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly,

Spoiler

As soon as Tokimi shows up, the game ends with Yuuto and imouto being sent back to Earth without memories.  It's basically a Bad End.

On 30/01/2019 at 6:45 PM, Toranth said:

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly,

Hide contents

As soon as Tokimi shows up, the game ends with Yuuto and imouto being sent back to Earth without memories.  It's basically a Bad End.

Seems like what I remember. I played the texthooked version of the 18+ version and i remember it that way but it was a long long time ago.

First OP with the random sword girl was good stuff though ;D

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎2019‎年‎12‎月‎11‎日 at 8:49 AM, Dreamysyu said:

Could someone who speaks Niponese please explain what this tweet is about? I understand that he's mentioning the sequel here, but I can't really get anything else using Google Translate.

If I have the context correctly, he's saying that trying to get the crowdfunding for big-budget/niche projects like the Aselia remake or the Euphoria game is difficult, so they're starting with a low budget 3D dungeon crawler (夢幻のナナトと約束の騎士団 / The Spirit of Eternity Sword and the Promised Knights*).

However, there are other tweets saying that all three projects are proceeding in parallel, so... I think they're just making Nanato as a way to get more trust (and funding), rather than diverting serious resources into it away from the main games.

Edited by Toranth

Here is the translation:  "Since srpgs like Shinyaku Eien no Aselia and Yuukyuu no Euphoria are too big as projects to be funded using crowdfunding as well as other difficulties (Clephas: In other words, 'SRPGs suck development funds like an elephant does water in comparison to normal rpgs, which are somewhat simpler'), we want to first make a standard dungeon RPG while keeping the contents at a somewhat lower development cost.  That is 'Mugen no Nanato to Yakusoku no Kishidan'. 

Edit: As a note, the proper translation for the last game's name is 'Illusionary/Fantastical Nanato and the Promised Knights'.  'Mugen' with that kanji combination doesn't translate so well in this context, so it is best just to use the Japanese title.

On ‎2020‎年‎1‎月‎2‎日 at 11:16 PM, Clephas said:

Edit: As a note, the proper translation for the last game's name is 'Illusionary/Fantastical Nanato and the Promised Knights'.  'Mugen' with that kanji combination doesn't translate so well in this context, so it is best just to use the Japanese title.

In the usual WTF-English of Eternal Sword series titles, the official English on the promotional materials is "The Spirit of Eternity Sword and the Promised Knights" - no "Nanato" in there at all.  I'm not sure if it's going to hold up, but that's currently what they're using.

7 hours ago, Toranth said:

In the usual WTF-English of Eternal Sword series titles, the official English on the promotional materials is "The Spirit of Eternity Sword and the Promised Knights" - no "Nanato" in there at all.  I'm not sure if it's going to hold up, but that's currently what they're using.

At least it's not as bad as 'attack on Titan' for Shingeki no Kyoujin...