What Visual Novels take forever to finish?

seishirousubaru91

I noticed in the few months ive seriously started reading vns that there are some in the community that take a extremely long time to complete even if your a fast reader or a slow reader whenever because of the length, long winded dialouge, info-dumping (i have a full page in Word for just FSN terms and world building) or many routes among other things so what vns do you think takes forever to finish and for what reasons?

1 hour ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

Multiple by 100 if you're reading in Japanese for the first time, especially as a first time Japanese learner

No kidding, with all the time I've poured into Aiyoku no Eustia till now I could've read like 10 medium length VNs, and I'm not even halfway through. I consider it as a language learning exercise though so I write a lot of stuff down along the way, so that's why.

As for the OP's question, there's this thread that was opened literally yesterday about the longest VN in existence. If we're talking about which VN took me personally the longest to finish... I guess that would probably be Danganronpa 2, but that's because I just couldn't find the motivation to keep reading, for some reason (not that the VN is boring or anything). Like, it took me about 3 months or something.

Edited by Thyndd

It took me more than half a year to finish Tsukihime. It's a bit strange since I really like Tsukihime, but I wasn't particularly engaged when I was reading it so I often took pretty long breaks, or even stopped at all for some time to read something else. I guess, it's one of VNs that I started to like a lot more after I actually finished it.

Agree on Kamidori here since you need to complete it multiple times (Three times) in order to get the completion, although if we make that as example then perhaps Yumina the Ethereal would be even more fitting based on how to reach the true ending (Need at least three playthrough, need to finished all of Ordacle dungeon, and need to be at least level ~90s). While we can say that both of Aselia and Seinarukana is also like Yumina here, at least we can access the ending for those two more easily, and more importantly we didn't need to be at around level 90 the level in order to get the true ending like Yumina.

Edited by littleshogun

FSN for infodumping, and because each route has its own set of world-building, not to mention each route is its own three-arc structure story (from beginning to conflict to resolution).

Muv-Luv Alternative is only second to FSN in terms of tedious infodumping, but is relatively shorter than FSN because of one-route-only. MLA's one route is equivalent to FSN's one route (maybe a bit longer) so... think about that.

Grisaia also felt very long, but only because of its common route. Clannad for the same reason. Not all moeges/charages are always this long, naturally.

Umineko, despite its length, kept throwing out ridiculous plot-twists to keep things engaging, all the way to its end. Thus, even its lack of choices didn't bother me much.

Edited by LemiusK