What’s the longest Visual Novel?

Happiness+

I was inspired to make this post by a short video I saw here:

I read Subahibi completely while getting the true end of Kara no Shoujo 2; I was reading them simultaneously during the month of August. 

I heard some people say that Subahibi was longer than MLA, but it really wasn’t to me. I finished it in 2 and half weeks. 

Meanwhile, I read Fate/Stay Night and that VN took me 2 months to read completely. 

Then there was the Higurashi VN series, that took me all of Sping 2012 to read completely. 

So, what do you think is truly the longest visual novel?

29 minutes ago, Rain Spectre said:

Fun fact, I have observed plenty of JoP, and not once have I ever seen anyone bring up France Shoujo. Ever. 

A JP player said that it was annoying playing it since there are branches whose text only differs slightly but that counts as unread text. The script size is definitely bloated but it's still long as hell.

5 hours ago, Happiness+ said:

I heard some people say that Subahibi was longer than MLA, but it really wasn’t to me. I finished it in 2 and half weeks. 

MLA is definitely longer, lol.

You know, some stories may feel longer if you aren't engaged. It actually took me about a month to finish the first episode of Umineko and a month to finish everything else. Grisaia, on the other hand, took me three months.

4 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

For untranslated, this one is a good contender: France Shoujo ~Une fille blanche~

This. It was actually compared on some site, and this one won.

38 minutes ago, Rain Spectre said:

Huh, really? That explains the length thing despite it being rarely discussed. Is the story supposed to be good? 

From what i heard, not really.

If Clephas' estimation in his Sengoku Koihime review is true, then Sengoku would be even longer than Rance 10. Shin Koihime Musou had about 6 MB of text and if Sengoku is more than 1.5 of that size, then it would be over 9 MB of text.

Though, if we allow separate episodes, this will most likely be beaten as soon as the Shin Koihime Kakumei trilogy is finished. I'm currently at the second part Son Go no Ketsumyaku, and it's already so fuc*ing long I can't believe it. I'm reading for weeks now and I don't think I've even finished the first half of it yet.

Edited by ChaosRaven

So @Zidan209, is Rance longer than unineko?

On 11/30/2018 at 5:16 AM, Kiriririri said:

Higurashi Sui is the longest. Not even a competition. Umineko being 8mb(?) while Sui is 20mb

Wait, Wait—- what’s Higurashi Sui? And how in the world can you have a 20mb script? Does that mean it’s longer than rance?

You would think there would be a clear answer

18 minutes ago, Happiness+ said:

Wait, Wait—- what’s Higurashi Sui? And how in the world can you have a 20mb script?

It's basically Higurashi's every story arc (plus the PS2 Matsuri, the DS Kizuna arcs, the Higurashi Rei arcs, and a special arc from the anime) combined together in a total of 20 arcs. That's why it's longer than Umineko's petty eight chapters plus some fandiscs. :nokia:

For me though, since I never bothered reading Higurashi (already watched anime), it's Umineko for me. Didn't try "Rance" because nukige... Fruit of Grisaia Muv-Luv Alternative Fate/Stay Night comes in second for me due to each of its route being the length of half a moege VN's length at least.

Edited by LemiusK