New When They Cry game preview

MaggieROBOT

Can't wait for the PS4 patch

Man, Ryuukishi07 still hasn't abandoned that artstyle, huh? I know a lot of people claimed that there's a charm to that style, but it's an eyesore to me.

That being said, Umineko no Naku Koro ni was a VN that I had the highest regard for, with Steins;Gate coming second. I liked the story waaaaay more than the much more popular Fate/Stay Night, what with how elaborate the story is, and all the attention to details Ryuukishi put into it. Higurashi was also one of my first anime and one of my favorites too, so there's definitely a lot of love here for Ryuukishi.

I wasn't too satisfied with Higanbana, but this one looks much more promising (and action-packed too). Can we perhaps see yet another variation of (Umineko spoilers)

Spoiler

Furude Rika's character like Trollkastel herself?

Can we expect more exaggerated and over-the-top action sequences? Can we expect more hilariously ridiculous 'Engrish' usage (DEATHDEATHDEATH)? Please promise me on that last one at least, if nothing else.

Ohhhh, the anticipation is tight. I'm looking forward to this almost as much as the Tsukihime remake.

Edited by LemiusK

2 minutes ago, wei123 said:

Saw this on r/visualnovels earlier, and the first thing that came to my mind was, how are they going to make a mystery out of a military-esque VN? I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out, since I don't think I've read any military VN which tackles mysteries before

It's definitely out of the norm, where visual novel stories are considered. It's not impossible, since even something military-ish like Muv-Luv Alternative has its own share of mystery elements, but it's definitely uncommon. However, I'm not that surprised, since Umineko was a vastly different story in tone and genre from Higurashi. I'm glad to see he continues with such variety in writing (unlike Higanbana...).

1 minute ago, tahu157 said:

Help me out here, why is this one number 5?

Each half of Higurashi and Umineko counts as an entry, so Higurashi would be 1, Higurashi Kai would be 2, Umineko would be 3 and Umineko Chiru would be 4.

About this new one, here's hoping i can avoid spoilers for the next four or so years.

Edited by onorub

2 minutes ago, onorub said:

About this new one, here's hoping i can avoid spoilers for the next four or so years.

So, so relatable... :rubycry:

The "When They Cry" series is probably one of the most "sensitive to spoiler" franchises out there... Shouldn't have Googled. Learned from past mistake...

Edited by LemiusK

2 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

It's called Kikonia no Naku Koro Ni. I never played Umineko or Higurashi (I'll fix it someday, I swear!!!!) but damn, this look cool. Thoughts?

I mean, I'm a big fan of Higurashi, and Umineko is literally my favorite VN ever, so do I really need to spell it out? :kosame:

I want it right now! :saber:

Actually, I only found it recently, but there's also this original manga which is also considered a part of WTC series. Didn't read it myself so I can't say anything about its quality.

2 hours ago, LemiusK said:

Can we perhaps see yet another variation of (Umineko spoilers)

Hide contents

Furude Rika's character like Trollkastel herself?

Spoiler

There's also Stella from RGD and a character from Triantology opening who looks suspiciously like Bernkastel. Come to think of it, Rika-inspired characters appear in almost every single VN by Ryukishi.

58 minutes ago, LemiusK said:

The "When They Cry" series is probably one of the most "sensitive to spoiler" franchises out there... Shouldn't have Googled. Learned from past mistake...

You know, I recall, I actually spoiled the identity of the real culprit in Umineko when I was still at Episode 4 or 5 or something like that, but I actually though the one who wrote that Youtube comment was trolling or something. Well, considering how many alternative theories there are about Umineko, spoiling yourself actually becomes pretty hard because you never know if the spoiler you got is there officially or this is just anither alternative theory.

With Higurashi, I actually enjoyed it a lot more after I completely spoiled myself with the anime. This way you actually see where everything is going, and all Ryukishi's works have amazing foreshadowing. (Umineko spoilers... kind of)

Spoiler

I mean, after you finish Umineko, you actually realize that it's possible to make a good guess who the culprit is going to be even before the first murder in the first episode happens.

Apparently Ryuukishi want to sell it as doujin VN again, presumbly to minimize the marketing cost compared to if he got the publisher. I did kind of wonder though if this'll be translated, but seeing that there's Witch Hunt name in the credit perhaps it will. Seeing that Ryuukishi like to write about military thing, safe to say that he already experienced with it. Also if you want improved graphic, well perhaps waiting PS4 graphic shoud be the good solution although it might be hard since Alchemist here is bankrupted, so we wouldn't know who is going to be responsible to do the port.

Edited by littleshogun

I noticed the flag in the opening and it is the flag of Hong Kong. The setting also seems to suggest there. Hong Kong is a special place for many years it was a bargain between UK and China. The characters also have traits of Asian countries. I would take the bold guess that the plot is about global politics, either as a continuation of cold war or the conflict between new superpowers (india, China).

19 minutes ago, tahu157 said:

They talk about "contestants" and stuff. Makes me think this is some kind of gladiatorial game setting a la Fate.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, your average "Battle Royale" storyline. I kinda hope it's not battle royale or gladiatorial games though, since that's kinda overdone in many Japanese stories already.

1 hour ago, LemiusK said:

Yeah, that's what I thought too, your average "Battle Royale" storyline. I kinda hope it's not battle royale or gladiatorial games though, since that's kinda overdone in many Japanese stories already.

ARE YOU FUCKING TELLING ME RYUKISHI IS WRITING A FUCKING BATTLE ROYALE STORY

THIS WILL KILL ME

On 11/30/2018 at 9:49 AM, Kenshin_sama said:

It's been more than 16 years since Higurashi was published, and Ryu still can't draw a fist. It is an improvement overall, but still a very steep learning curve for him.

But hey, that's fine. I don't mind him doing what he likes as long as he keeps on writing! :sachi:

Do you know how hard is it to draw a hand? :makina: In fact, I heard that the hand is the hardest part of the body to draw on paper.