To Fuwa-Males Out There: Do You Play Otome?

LemiusK

A much more straightforward and simple topic than my last one: otome games, do guys out here on Fuwa play them? If so, did you enjoy them?

I'm curious because I've seen quite a number of otome games coincide with "my type" of VNs (lots of choices, multiple endings), so I was wondering if there's any appeal to them at all for straight males like myself. Does the fact that the "romance" involves guys affect your enjoyment? Or do you simply not care if there's a good story involved?

Just now, onorub said:

I think most translated otomes are action-based, so go without fear. Code Realize and Collar x Malice were pretty fun reads and the choice-making might make them right up your alley. The only problem is that a big bulk of otomes in on the PSVita.

Thanks (ran out of reactions for today :wahaha: ). I actually own a PS Vita, and even though my local PS store probably won't sell them in English, shipping the physical copies shouldn't be an issue. It's one of the few times I'm actually glad I bought a Vita in spite of its reputation...

Incidentally, what do you think of Amnesia?

Unless you have really fragile masculinity/heterosexuality It won't detract from your enjoyment, I'm a Otome fan myself and actually prefere some Otome VNs over some galges, also since I tend to find female protagonists more interesting than male but that is Just me. The point is there are a lot of otomes that fits your bill quite well, even some freeware ones.

Just now, SeniorBlitz said:

Unless you have really fragile masculinity/heterosexuality It won't detract from your enjoyment, I'm a Otome fan myself and actually prefere some Otome VNs over some galges, also since I tend to find female protagonists more interesting than male but that is Just me. The point is there are a lot of otomes that fits your bill quite well, even some freeware ones.

Keep these generalizations to yourself next time. It's not our place to tell other people what they can or should be able to handle/like.

Just now, Stormwolf said:

Keep these generalizations to yourself next time. It's not our place to tell other people what they can or should be able to handle/like.

Wasn't trying to offend you bro, Sorry mate, wasn't trying to generalize either.

10 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

also since I tend to find female protagonists more interesting than male but that is Just me.

I did find FemShep from Mass Effect much more interesting than MaleShep - however, that is largely attributed to the badass voice acting by Jennifer Hale, something that just isn't possible with voiceless protagonists in VNs. A person's voice makes up at least 20% of their personality (and whether or not said personality is interesting is determined partially by that) IMO. For me at least. This isn't a problem with male protagonists if you're a male, because you're basically inserting your own voice (and for certain protagonists that are basically a "blank slate" tabula rasa character, your own personality too).

10 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Unless you have really fragile masculinity/heterosexuality

This part was definitely not necessary, and came off as a bit accusatory. :makina: But I get your point. It's a sentiment that would inevitably come up in such a thread anyway. Incidentally, I'm not homophobic nor am I "disgusted" by playing a girl. Please, I'm not a kindergartener.

Edited by LemiusK

1 minute ago, LemiusK said:

I did find FemShep from Mass Effect much more interesting than MaleShep - however, that is largely attributed to the badass voice acting by Jennifer Hale, something that just isn't possible with voiceless protagonists in VNs. A person's voice makes up at least 20% of their personality (and whether or not said personality is interesting is determined partially by that) IMO. For me at least.

This part was definitely not necessary, and came off as a bit accusatory. :makina: But I get your point. It's a sentiment that would inevitably come up in such a thread anyway. Incidentally, I'm not homophobic nor am I "disgusted" by playing a girl. Please, I'm not a kindergartener.

Sorry I know my comment came out to strong kek, It is just that I'm tired of seeing some male VN readers skip otomes just 'cuz "It is a girl thing" but I didn't want to sound prejudicial at all.

Also there otomes with voice acted protagonists even If a good portion doesn't (similar to galge), I can agree that Voice acting can add a lot to a character, specially a MC.

24 minutes ago, LemiusK said:

Thanks (ran out of reactions for today :wahaha: ). I actually own a PS Vita, and even though my local PS store probably won't sell them in English, shipping the physical copies shouldn't be an issue. It's one of the few times I'm actually glad I bought a Vita in spite of its reputation...

Incidentally, what do you think of Amnesia?

That one is bit more romance and drama-based. it has a few harsh "affection walls", but is better played blind because the point of the VN is the protagonist figuring out the love interest's personality. I thought it was pretty decent overall.

2 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Sorry I know my comment came out to strong kek, It is just that I'm tired of seeing some male VN readers skip otomes just 'cuz "It is a girl thing" but I didn't want to sound prejudicial at all.

No harm done. I can definitely understand the "it's a girl thing" prejudice many male VN readers hold. It's just human nature, unfortunately, even if I could understand where they're coming from.

4 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Also there otomes with voice acted protagonists even If a good portion doesn't (similar to galge)

Good to know. Definitely will be on the lookout.

4 minutes ago, onorub said:

but is better played blind because the point of the VN is the protagonist figuring out the love interest's personality. I thought it was pretty decent overall.

Heh, sounds rather interesting. An amnesiac protagonist in a story of multiple romances definitely has very interesting story potentials. Thanks for the insight.

I happen to not have played any otome. Coincidentally though, as it's not like I'm completely against the idea or anything. I've watched quite a few reverse harem animes and some of them (e.g. Fushigi Yuugi, Akatsuki no Yona) I liked quite a lot, so why not?

Edited by Thyndd

Just now, Thyndd said:

I happened to not have played any otome. Coincidentally though, as it's not like I'm completely against the idea or anything. I've watched quite a few reverse harem animes and some of them (e.g. Fushigi Yuugi, Akatsuki no Yona) I liked quite a lot, so why not?

Yeah, I feel the same. It's definitely an interesting change in perspective, so I'm quite open to trying out such a new experience too.

Just now, Stormwolf said:

Is akatsuki no yona reverse harem though? Its mostly hak and yona if im not mistaken. Bit offtopic :P

I dunno, but it definitely would if it were a VN :makina: Canon couple aside, there's still a bunch of good-looking guys for one single female character. 

I read a few, mainly on my PSV, and enjoyed them.
But (and maybe I just had bad luck with which ones I chose to read), I was really annoyed how weak and fragile the female protagonist tends to be portrayed. If that weren't the case, and I'm open for recommondations if you know one without that problem (doesn't need to be a badass female character, though that would be even better, way better, just a normal not excessivly pathetic one), I would enjoy them just as much as the usual ones.

1 minute ago, sarkasmus said:

But (and maybe I just had bad luck with which ones I chose to read), I was really annoyed how weak and fragile the female protagonist tends to be portrayed. If that weren't the case, and I'm open for recommondations if you know one without that problem (doesn't need to be a badass female character, though that would be even better, way better, just a normal not excessivly pathetic one), I would enjoy them just as much as the usual ones.

I read that women in Japan tend to take a more submissive role in their relationship. That was from an article years ago though, so I don't know if it still holds true, but it would explain why you would see protagonists like that...

Yeah. Gender roles in Japan is problematic, to say the least.

Edited by LemiusK

18 minutes ago, sarkasmus said:

Code Realize has a really awesome protagonist from what I heard from one of my friends.

Heard similar things about Hakuouki and Collar x Mallice (tou people say the protag on the latter can be a bit of a goofball at times). From the Western side we have SoulSet and Cinderella Phenomenon that have really proactive leads.

This doubles as recommendations to @LemiusK since all these have a good amount of choices and endings.

EDIT: Can't forget about Cinders.

Edited by Guest

I greatly enjoyed some point'n'click adventure games with female protagonists (Art of Murder series, Chronicles of Mystery series, Secret Files series, Gray Matter), but I feel that otome games, as in guiding female protagonist romancing male heroes, are not for me.

In romance VN I want to see cute girls, not cute guys ;)

Edited by adamstan

39 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Code Realize has a really awesome protagonist from what I heard from one of my friends.

Heard similar things about Hakuouki and Collar x Mallice (tou people say the protag on the latter can be a bit of a goofball at times). From the Western side we have SoulSet and Cinderella Phenomenon that have really proactive leads.

This doubles as recommendations to @LemiusK since all these have a good amount of choices and endings.

EDIT: Can't forget about Cinders.

Man, that's a lot of Vita-exclusives. lol I don't mind buying some of them to test out the Otome genre first but... shipping can be quite expensive. Hopefully, I could buy it second-hand on Ebay instead, from local owners living in the same country.

I've tried Cinders. It was... okay, I guess. The lack of voice-acting made the experience rather boring though... lol Never got to finish it. But the story does seem interesting, since it seems to be a deviation from your usual Cinderella story. Think I might give it another shot next time. I really love twisted fairy tales...

A lot of Western otome (ex. Soulset) have yuri routes so I will play those without a second thought. Also, as I don't self-insert much when reading VNs, it doesn't feel that much different than normal VN romance even if there is a dude involved - by a large part because the protagonist is usually an actual character, with a sprite, personality etc. I know there are bland, self-insert otome with blank-slate protagonists too, but those are neither EVNs nor the ones that actually get translated to English.

In general, plot-oriented otome like Code:Realize or Cinderella Phenomenon should be highly readable for most people and I personally enjoy this kind of VNs to a reasonable degree.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak