Visual Novel Recommendations

Ryoji

Hey guys, I am quick to admit that Visual Novels are a relative new joy for me. Ive played Clannad, Tomoyo After, Kanon to completion. I'm in the middle of a couple more.

What id like from you guys, is to tell me what your favorites are. What would you recommend. I like anything but Otome. So Genre don't really matter.

Thanks in advance,

Ryo

Seeing as you've played those Key visual novels, it's only natural to recommend the... other Key visual novels you haven't read according to that list: Little Busters!, Air (I don't remember if this was translated 100%), Planetarian, and when it's translated, Rewrite.

Out of all the visual novels I've read though, and that is a small amount, I'd really like Little Busters and Narcissu (2nd Side). I've seen very little mention of Narcissu, but I find it to be an interesting read. Little Busters... I think you've heard enough of it's reputation. I'd say it's comparable to the likes of Clannad, although with a different theme.

Seeing as you've played those Key visual novels, it's only natural to recommend the... other Key visual novels you haven't read according to that list: Little Busters!, Air (I don't remember if this was translated 100%), Planetarian, and when it's translated, Rewrite.

Out of all the visual novels I've read though, and that is a small amount, I'd really like Little Busters and Narcissu (2nd Side). I've seen very little mention of Narcissu, but I find it to be an interesting read. Little Busters... I think you've heard enough of it's reputation. I'd say it's comparable to the likes of Clannad, although with a different theme.

I was told to wait for the upcoming translation to be finished before playing Little Busters. I have indeed heard the reputation , thats why I was waiting.

Air i didnt think was 100% translated and Narcissu is one of the VN's im in the middle of now.

Thanks for the help though Wingless, its much appreciated

I recommend what I always recommend to others when they ask me about this, just because I think it is one of the best VN of all time, and that is Fate/Stay Night. Also other type moon games such as tsukihime and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. Since I assume you play the english translated ones, I also recommend other KEY titles that TheWingless recommends such as Little Busters!(a must play), Kanon, rewrite and Planetarian

My personal recommendations:

Muv-Luv Alternative, my favourite anything ever. You need to sit through Muv-Luv Extra+Unlimited first though, which might turn some people off.

Katawa Shoujo, as far as slice-of-life VNs are concerned this is one of the best.

Fate/Stay Night + Tsukihime, where fantasy is concerned Type-Moon kicks ass.

Ever17, this is a classic and a must-read for its great plot.

Steins;Gate, while the start is meh it builds up to an excellent, thrilling ending.

True Remembrance, my favourite of short-story VNs, pound-for-pound this is as good as any of the above.

As far as Little Busters is concerned imo there's no need to wait for the EX/ME translation, the additional routes all require you to complete the original true end to unlock anyway. Plus given the slow progress i think Rewrite will end up being finished first.

I recommend Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai (Majikoi for short).

I also recommend Kamidori Alchemy Meister (if you dont mind turn based RPGs).

Alchemy Meister has been fully translated, but Majikoi is still a work in progress. It is however perfectly playable and the main routes have been translated cept for Miyako's route.

Fate/Stay Night is a classic that definitely deserves to be checked out. Since you're a big anime fan I'm sure you've heard of the anime and VN fans will tell you the anime is terrible compared to the game, but it's not just that. The plot of the anime is literally only the first book of a trilogy that together make up the VN, so that alone does not fulfill the literary purpose of the author.

Yume Miru Kisuri (A Drug That Makes You Dream) was probably the first VN that really drew me into the medium and made me fall in love with it

Narcissu is a very short and minimalistic freeware VN that I think you should definitely try. I spent my prom night reading this instead and don't regret it =)

G-Senjou no Maou is a very fun VN that I loved a lot last year. Definitely give it a read, especially if you like the mindgame elements of Deathnote or Code Geass.

I am currently reading Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai and having a blast. It is a slice of life comedy so no grand overarching save-the-world plot, but it it very hilarious!