My quest for comfort. The best way to read VNs "like a book".

ciel_yuri

I own a PS Vita and I love the comfort it provides for VNs. Being able to recline in bed and hold the system in front of me and read a VN like I would a regular book has quickly become my favorite way to read VNs. The problem is that I'm running out of titles I'm interested in that are available in English. These are the options I know of and some of my considerations so far. If anyone has any experience with these or know of any other options I'd love to hear about them.

1. Windows Tablet - The cheapest option as one can easily be found for under $100, but holding a tablet for long periods of time might not be very comfortable. Only having a touchscreen also seems like it could pose problems as well.
  2. Nintendo Switch - It's reasonably priced and I wanted one for regular games anyway. But my English VN options will probably be very limited / I'll be in the same boat as I am with the PS Vita and run out way too fast.
  3. GPD Win - The best looking option, as it's a fairly powerful windows PC in handheld form... but a new one is $440.

Extract the script and print it...could even add some screenshots for imagery.

I have read two VNs on my android tablet and I had issues flagging the True End for one of them, so I never got to finish it. Thus, I can't really recommend unofficial Ren'Py ports, if not for Kinetic Novels. I'd say that a tablet is quite handy though, especially for college and whatnot.

The Switch is something I can recommend especially if you're into JRPGs, but I'd say that most VNs will remain Windows only. If you have a 3DS, how about playing the text heavier interactive games, such as the Ace Attorney series? I only wish that I could be playing AAI2 on my handheld instead of on an emulator, so I understand your wish for convenience and comfort.

If you feel you are running out of titles to read in English, maybe it's time to consider learning Japanese?

I get the feeling the Switch is going to have a lot of VNs coming to it in the near (and distant) future, but if you're already concerned about the supply running out then sticking to PC (where the supply is far bigger) or learning Japanese (which should have many more options available) would be advisable, and in the case of learning Japanese it'd mean that you don't have to wait for localizations of titles you're interested in to come along.  

Edited by snowbell55
Fixed typo

18 minutes ago, Ramaladni said:

Extract the script and print it...could even add some screenshots for imagery.

I have read two VNs on my android tablet and I had issues flagging the True End for one of them, so I never got to finish it. Thus, I can't really recommend unofficial Ren'Py ports, if not for Kinetic Novels. I'd say that a tablet is quite handy though, especially for college and whatnot.

The Switch is something I can recommend especially if you're into JRPGs, but I'd say that most VNs will remain Windows only. If you have a 3DS, how about playing the text heavier interactive games, such as the Ace Attorney series? I only wish that I could be playing AAI2 on my handheld instead of on an emulator, so I understand your wish for convenience and comfort.

If you feel you are running out of titles to read in English, maybe it's time to consider learning Japanese?

Yeah, I've tried playing some on an android tablet and kept running into stupid little issues. For instance in Air it sometimes doesn't select the choice I've highlighted and I have to keep reloading the game. I couldn't get games to load off of the SD card either, so managing them was kind of a pain. It's nice there's ways to play these on Android, but in my experience it just didn't feel like it was made to be played that way and made me want something better.

I have been considering learning Japanese. There's still plenty of VNs for PC available in English, but if I knew Japanese there would be so many I'd love to grab on Vita or Switch. Plus all the other doors it opens.

17 minutes ago, snowbell55 said:

I get the feeling the Switch is going to have a lot of VNs coming to it in the near (and distant) future, but if you're already concerned about the supply running out then sticking to PC (where the supply is far bigger) or learning Japanese (which should have many more options available) would be advisable, and in the case of learning Japanee it'd mean that you don't have to wait for localizations of titles you're interested in to come along.  

Yeah, I think a lot of developers are gonna capitalize on Switch's growing install base. Is it comfy to hold for long periods of time? I'd imagine it would be much better than a tablet because it's smaller and has controls to use as "handles". I just wonder how many the Switch gets will be translated to English. Which brings me back to the "if I only knew Japanese" again.

2 minutes ago, ciel_yuri said:

Yeah, I think a lot of developers are gonna capitalize on Switch's growing install base. Is it comfy to hold for long periods of time? I'd imagine it would be much better than a tablet because it's smaller and has controls to use as "handles". I just wonder how many the Switch gets will be translated to English. Which brings me back to the "if I only knew Japanese" again.

Personally, no. I find it a bit heavy (though I don't use tablets so much) and as far as controlling it, the right stick is (for me) in an comfortable position so it makes the area just before where the thumb connects to the palm cramp up after some time. Admittedly if you use auto read that's not as likely to be an issue. I find the Vita's smaller size and lighter weight to be more comfortable in general, though. 

And IMO yes it would be a worthwhile endeavor if you can. It's going to take you a while to do, obviously, and it can be pretty intimidating, but if you figure VNs are that important to you and you'd still be reading them in 5 years then it'd be a good idea. It'll also unlock the ability to consume other content like LNs and manga without waiting for translations. Chances are you're interested in at least some of those. 

1 minute ago, snowbell55 said:

Personally, no. I find it a bit heavy (though I don't use tablets so much) and as far as controlling it, the right stick is (for me) in an comfortable position so it makes the area just before where the thumb connects to the palm cramp up after some time. Admittedly if you use auto read that's not as likely to be an issue. I find the Vita's smaller size and lighter weight to be more comfortable in general, though. 

And IMO yes it would be a worthwhile endeavor if you can. It's going to take you a while to do, obviously, and it can be pretty intimidating, but if you figure VNs are that important to you and you'd still be reading them in 5 years then it'd be a good idea. It'll also unlock the ability to consume other content like LNs and manga without waiting for translations. Chances are you're interested in at least some of those. 

I've been going back and forth wondering if I should buy one this Christmas or wait until a new model gets released (or just put that money towards something else) and it does seem like it might be a good idea to wait. It's been rumored that there might be a new model released summer 2019 already and if they release one noticeably smaller or lighter I might come to regret not waiting.

Everything I do seems like its been translated from Japanese, so I've certainly been considering it. I'm just worried how my memory will fair for it's written languages. I feel like I understand a fair amount and have a grasp at the language from all the Japanese media I consume. Written it just seems so intimidating. Really if I buy a GPD Win or Switch or something I'd have way more options in English and in Japanese. I just kinda wouldn't mind something else to tide me over either way, I guess. Since learning it would take awhile.

6 hours ago, ciel_yuri said:

I have been considering learning Japanese. There's still plenty of VNs for PC available in English, but if I knew Japanese there would be so many I'd love to grab on Vita or Switch. Plus all the other doors it opens.

I've been doing it for around 5-6 months now and I'm surprised at the progress I have made. There are times where I can go on autopilot when reading and its a really cool feeling.

9 hours ago, Clephas said:

You could do what I did when I was sick... I had my wireless keyboard and a VR headset on while lying back on my bed.  Those headsets may be designed for VR, but they work just fine as an extra screen.

I'm not sure how comfortable that would be, but it is a cool idea. It's just sort of the opposite of the convenience of a book :sachi:

6 hours ago, Incynerate said:

My quest for being lazy in bed while reading VNs involved buying a laptop table and a cheap USB presentation clicker. I still feel kinda silly, but hey, it works and I use it almost every day.

Sometimes I actually do something like that. I might have to look into the presentation clicker. I was using a wiimote thing, but those things eat batteries really fast, so I'm mainly been using a wired 360 controller nowadays. How is the presentation clicker's battery life? I take it it is wireless?

6 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

The quest for ultimate comfort is using my tv and laying on the couch with my wireless mouse. It's pretty epic.

I actually just bought a "Steam Link" to dabble with that. They were just discontinued and heavily discounted. If anyone is interested there's some available in the U.S. for $2.50+S&H

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/

55 minutes ago, Clephas said:

I have a friend who installed a tv in his ceiling and watches everything lying down on his back...  that was the height of laziness *looks nostalgic*.  Good thing he had a king-sized.

Did you try it? I wonder if it would feel disorienting. It sounds like it could be awesome, but I think I'd be way to scared to try it. Maybe if I had a professional install it, so I knew I wasn't gonna suffer from death by falling television :notlikemiya:

Just now, ciel_yuri said:

Did you try it? I wonder if it would feel disorienting. It sounds like it could be awesome, but I think I'd be way to scared to try it. Maybe if I had a professional install it, so I knew I wasn't gonna suffer from death by falling television :notlikemiya:

You can also have it set up slanted so that it is best seen from being propped up on the bed by pillows.  That way it isn't directly over your head, and you can still play it lying down.  Just to be straight with you, I don't recommend playing VNs on a tablet or portable system.  Reading is painful on small screens if you can't adjust font sizes and tablets have the disadvantage of you having to actually hold them up.  When lying down, this can be hard on the arms and messes up your concentration.  One reason I never understood the attraction of playing most jrpgs on a handheld was because I would get headaches from reading the small print on a glowing screen.  In the end, I always resorted to displaying the game on a TV, because it was less painful that way. 

Speaking from experience, you should avoid reading small print on a glowing screen.  Don't be ashamed to increase font size to prevent instinctive squinting and other bad behaviors.  Even the act of focusing your eyes on the small print damages them over time, which is one reason why eye problems are becoming endemic for those who grew up using their phones for everything.  Even before that, it was recommended to avoid using portables for more than two or three hours at a time, and that was with frequent breaks. 

My eyes are f***ed because of my abuse of them over the years, and now I don't hesitate to increase font sizes or put my portable games up on the TV.  I'm a story addict, not a portable one.

1 minute ago, Clephas said:

You can also have it set up slanted so that it is best seen from being propped up on the bed by pillows.  That way it isn't directly over your head, and you can still play it lying down.  Just to be straight with you, I don't recommend playing VNs on a tablet or portable system.  Reading is painful on small screens if you can't adjust font sizes and tablets have the disadvantage of you having to actually hold them up.  When lying down, this can be hard on the arms and messes up your concentration.  One reason I never understood the attraction of playing most jrpgs on a handheld was because I would get headaches from reading the small print on a glowing screen.  In the end, I always resorted to displaying the game on a TV, because it was less painful that way. 

Speaking from experience, you should avoid reading small print on a glowing screen.  Don't be ashamed to increase font size to prevent instinctive squinting and other bad behaviors.  Even the act of focusing your eyes on the small print damages them over time, which is one reason why eye problems are becoming endemic for those who grew up using their phones for everything.  Even before that, it was recommended to avoid using portables for more than two or three hours at a time, and that was with frequent breaks. 

My eyes are f***ed because of my abuse of them over the years, and now I don't hesitate to increase font sizes or put my portable games up on the TV.  I'm a story addict, not a portable one.

Yeah, sadly my eyes are already pretty messed up. I used to have close to perfect vision, but after getting my first PC things started going downhill. The thing is I can still see things when they're close enough like a handheld, so it's been nice to be able to take my glasses off for awhile when using one. I think my next pair I need to add anti glare coating or something, because on a PC or driving at night I see reflections like crazy. It's extremely annoying and distracting. 

I'm not sure if you've tried it, but Flux has been a lifesaver. I actually really like that yellowish glow it changes things to. When I was playing a VN at sunset or night it would feel so much cozier and easier on the eyes. Now I just have it set it up so it's always on. Things feel pretty blinding without it.

Just now, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Sadly, I have neither of these options. I'm dirt poor. :notlikemiya:

Netbooks can be sort of comfy. I recently bought one on ebay that was "like new" for only $42 after shipping. The battery doesn't last as long as I'd like, but every VN I've tried on it so far runs well and it's kind of neat having a dedicated VN PC.

I read VNs sitting by the table, using my main laptop (17" Lenovo Z570), while having 10" netbook (old Asus EeePC) on the side, with the walkthrough open ;)

Reading or watching anything in "weird" positions, like lying on the bed, is actually uncomfortable for me, as it seems to put more strain on my not-so-good-eyes and neck.

Edited by adamstan

5 hours ago, ciel_yuri said:

Sometimes I actually do something like that. I might have to look into the presentation clicker. I was using a wiimote thing, but those things eat batteries really fast, so I'm mainly been using a wired 360 controller nowadays. How is the presentation clicker's battery life? I take it it is wireless?

This is the one I use, mainly because a lot of presentation clickers only do left and right arrow keys which not every VN recognizes as a valid input for the next dialogue. It has wireless, using a USB dongle. Battery life is advertised as "10 hours of continuous usage" but I think that might refer to the laser pointer because I'm pretty sure I've gone far beyond 10 hours of intermittent clicking while reading.