"Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden" Hype Thread

LemiusK

And it's finally announced! The long-awaited sequel - or rather spin-off - to the popular mahou shoujo series, Madoka Magica!

Synopsis
The stage is a new city, Kamihama City.

"Do you want to battle together with me?"
New story begins when girls meet.

Magical girls gather in this city lead by mysterious power.
This place is where they can be the way they are.
They fight with the new power from the witch.

"What happens… in this city…"
Iroha Tamaki came to this city to search for her sister Ui, who went missing.
Iroha begins to search whereabouts of Ui with the help of magical girls.

Soon Homura Akemi from Mitakihara City arrived to Yokohama City.

"There might be a way to save Madoka when knowing the mystery of this street."

Another hope born with two girls from the two different cities meet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, it's not exactly the sequel to Rebellion that I've been waiting for, but eh, I'll take what I can get. Being a huuuuuge fan of Madoka Magica, I just simply can't ignore this.

From the looks of things, it looks like it's going to be featuring new characters with the older characters making guest appearances. From what I have heard, these characters will play a pivotal role in the grand finale of the Madoka story, as foreseen in the Madoka Magica Concept Trailer. So yeah, exciting stuff.

Regarding the OP theme, you gotta love how it's different from the original Madoka Magica, in that the latter tried to hide the more ominous tones of the story ("It's a healing anime." - Urobutcher), but with this OP, you could notice that they basically tell you, "You know what's going to happen to these cute and fluffy girls" with a sardonic and wry grin. Flashes of ominous scenes hearkening back to some of the bloodier scenes of the original anime could be seen scattered throughout the OP itself. Yikes.

Anyway, looking forward to all that fun and slaughter. Hah.

As far as magical girl show here, Madoka here is the most appealing to the mainstream here. I wonder if those five girls will working together from the start or work separately and fighting with each other, although knowing Urobochi perhaps he'll write it like the latter. Anyway, gonna check out on this latter along with next year PreCure (Star Twinkle Pretty Cure or STPC).

6 hours ago, littleshogun said:

I wonder if those five girls will working together from the start or work separately and fighting with each other, although knowing Urobochi perhaps he'll write it like the latter.

I hope that they don't repeat too much of the formula in the original Madoka. That would be too blend. I hope that, like Rebellion, they would pull some kind of clever twist on us that we wouldn't expect. The reason Rebellion was so good wasn't just because it had a twist, but because it took fan expectations of the anime franchise and brutally deconstructed them, tearing down "The Power of Love" and everything we came to know of Homura. It took big cajones for them to pull off something controversial like that, and you can see it in people's negative reviews of Rebellion.

So yeah, hope the writing is just as superb here in Magia Record, taking our expectations and adding new depth to it once more. Maybe they could add new perspectives to events we're already familiar with from the first Madoka anime, like the true nature of Kyubey and magical girls. Kinda like how Chaos;Child added new perspectives to familiar elements previously experienced in Chaos;Head.

Edited by LemiusK