Just finished Crescendo....(Spoilers)

Naterocks2000

Hm, guess I'll put this on my wishlist, since there are quite a few praises here. But a question... is this VN focused heavily on romance? Because I played Da Capo, which was a pure romance VN, and I was so bored. You mentioned heavier themes, so I'm hoping it isn't pure romance and has some relatable social themes. Something like Katawa Shoujo, right?

18 minutes ago, LemiusK said:

Something like Katawa Shoujo, right?

A little, but not exactly. However music reminded me of Katawa Shoujo - although it is different, its mood felt similar.

Hmm... difficult to say without spoiling too much. I'd say the romance is used as a kind of "plot device"? So yeah, maybe like Katawa Shoujo or Clannad? With each heroine comes some issue that is main theme of the route, and MC, while he gets closer to her, must face those problems.

I'm not sure if I'm wording it correctly... but it definitely isn't pure romance as seen in moeges.

Edited by adamstan

14 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Hmm... difficult to say without spoiling too much. I'd say the romance is used as a kind of "plot device"? So yeah, maybe like Katawa Shoujo or Clannad? With each heroine comes some issue that is main theme of the route, and MC, while he gets closer to her, must face those problems.

I'm not sure if I'm wording it correctly... but it definitely isn't pure romance as seen in moeges.

Ah, I understand. Classic harem formula then (fixing the problems of your love interest). I can work with that. Thanks for the info. 

Edited by LemiusK

From how far Ive gotten in Yume Miru Kusuri(Not very; only to where MC has shades of Ryo from Crescendo with his sister) I would like to ask why there was such an abundance of weird sister moments in older VNs? Most of the older ones I have read (Not all though) seem to have creepy moments with sisters. That also extends to some older manga I read that also had these moments. Was Japan just hellbent on the sister fetish back then? (In terms of preference I say to each their own, but Im struggling to see why it is so prevalent in these older titles, as well as MCs seemingly having a personality flip, Ryo I know why he did what he did, but I do not understand why Kouhei did what he did, even though it'll probably iron itself out later I thought I would comment on this reoccurring theme. Also since I stopped to comment as soon as Kouhei did what he did, Ill probably answer my own questions shortly.)

Edit: Man, way to make me hate the MC devs.

Edited by Naterocks2000

1 hour ago, Naterocks2000 said:

From how far Ive gotten in Yume Miru Kusuri(Not very; only to where MC has shades of Ryo from Crescendo with his sister) I would like to ask why there was such an abundance of weird sister moments in older VNs? Most of the older ones I have read (Not all though) seem to have creepy moments with sisters. That also extends to some older manga I read that also had these moments. Was Japan just hellbent on the sister fetish back then? (In terms of preference I say to each their own, but Im struggling to see why it is so prevalent in these older titles, as well as MCs seemingly having a personality flip, Ryo I know why he did what he did, but I do not understand why Kouhei did what he did, even though it'll probably iron itself out later I thought I would comment on this reoccurring theme. Also since I stopped to comment as soon as Kouhei did what he did, Ill probably answer my own questions shortly.)

Edit: Man, way to make me hate the MC devs.

What is extra funny is that with that fetish and the compulsive need of using it, sometimes as the main theme in anime/manga, they never have the balls to follow trough with it. Vn's i guess is the exception, but only after some serious drama

27 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

compulsive need of using it

Yeah, many older VNs suffer from this. I'm not talking only about siscon, but general need of catering to all popular hentai fetishes. While playing some older titles I often thought, that some h-scenes were results of just that, therefore being rather pointless, and story would be much better and more coherent without them.

"Mugen Yasoukyoku"(Nocturnal Illusion) would be good example. While its h-scenes are mostly integrated pretty well with the story (especially for '90s eroge), I still had that feeling with some of them.

Spoiler

Like, loli Red Riding Hood, bondage/torture scene with Miwako (at least it's not MC doing these things...), mermaid or Yura and her brother turned into demon... gimme a break.

Yes, they made effort to justify it within the rules of the illusionary world, but still sometimes it felt stretched.

Or take YU-NO, where blatant fanservice stuffed into every possible corner kind-of killed the mood of some more serious scenes.

"Sakura no Kisetsu" almost managed to escape this (I think that's why is considered one of the classics, at least among the translated ones) with single h-scene per heroine at the end of the route, but even there they had to put

Spoiler

unavoidable sex-scene with Kyouko (the teacher). Gaahhh....

Still, probably one of the best titles from old JAST.

27 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Vn's i guess is the exception, but only after some serious drama

I remember reading two VNs with real sister as a heroine. WagaHigh and SakuSaku. While in SakuSaku it was indeed surrounded with serious drama (which actually I think was quite realistic/justified), if I remember correctly in WagaHigh nobody made too big fuss about it.

In other titles I read with sister-type heroines, they chose to play it safe by making them step-sisters, cousins or adopted.

Edited by adamstan

38 minutes ago, adamstan said:

I remember reading two VNs with real sister as a heroine. WagaHigh and SakuSaku. While in SakuSaku it was indeed surrounded with serious drama (which actually I think was quite realistic/justified), if I remember correctly in WagaHigh nobody made too big fuss about it.

In other titles I read with sister-type heroines, they chose to play it safe by making them step-sisters, cousins or adopted.

Chrono-Clock is a newer one with a blood related sister(Michiru). Her route was just crazy though.

58 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

What is extra funny is that with that fetish and the compulsive need of using it, sometimes as the main theme in anime/manga, they never have the balls to follow trough with it. Vn's i guess is the exception, but only after some serious drama

*Oreimo flashbacks intensify*

Edited by Naterocks2000

6 minutes ago, Naterocks2000 said:

Chrono-Clock is a newer one with a blood related sister(Michiru). Her route was just crazy though.

Ah, yeah, forgot about it. I actually liked this route. Probably I just glossed over incestuous aspect of it (which was easier for me as I don't have sister myself).

Edited by adamstan

1 minute ago, adamstan said:

Ah, yeah, forgot about it. I actually liked this route. Probably I just glossed over incestuous aspect of it (which was easier for me as I don't have sister myself).

Yeah they're sort of awkward to read since I do in fact have a sister but its whatever. I enjoyed the hell out of chrono-clock so I don't care.

The hell is wrong with Kouhei? Why does he beat Hatsukoi 1/1's protag as the worst human on the planet? I swear men who would do the things Kouhei is doing or lack thereof deserved to be hit. Man this game hurts me, especially when the protag is this way.

Edit: He's not this way most of the time but still. 

Edited by Naterocks2000

3 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Whoa, I'm more and more scared of that YMK :o

May of exaggerated a bit but for someone who said he's going to protect someone, he's awful at it.

A lot more serious than anything else I've ever read (besides a very depressing manga) but definitely shows character progression and the effect and aftereffects of bullying (That's the route so far)(Don't get the bad end either or *School days intensifies*)

Definitely going to post about this route because it really hits me where it hurts. Ill explain more when I post it.

Edited by Naterocks2000

4 minutes ago, Naterocks2000 said:

A lot more serious than anything else I've ever read (besides a very depressing manga) but definitely shows character progression and the effect and aftereffects of bullying

That's what I read about it. I'm not sure if I can handle all of this, but maybe will try one day.

While we're at it - how's the translation?