• Rinka
    • Yataka 'Dude' Chiho
  2. 2. What is your favorite route?

• Himekami Ayame
    • Yataka 'Dude' Chiho
    • Komachi Mahiru
    • Rinka
    • Goshogawara Yukki

Here's another tester corner from Mangagamer, and it's pretty interesting with the opinion that said the route may hit or miss. I can't say much about the route for now though, other than my assumption that Chiho's route here might be just added because of the creative difference.

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 weeks later...

I've ecounter some bug on the game which after finishing Ayame and Chihiro's routes (got all CG for both heroine), the game force close when i'm trying to open it and need 2 to 6 times trying before the game can be open and played. I've un-install and re-install the game but the same problem still occured.

Has anyone have the same problem? I've try to browse the net and still can't find any news about it.

3 minutes ago, Hardwon said:

I've ecounter some bug on the game which after finishing Ayame and Chihiro's routes (got all CG for both heroine), the game force close when i'm trying to open it and need 2 to 6 times trying before the game can be open and played. I've un-install and re-install the game but the same problem still occured.

Has anyone have the same problem? I've try to browse the net and still can't find any news about it.

I've come across some people with similar issues. The only solution I know of involves deleting a game file that records your progress, so you'd essentially reset the game.

2 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I've come across some people with similar issues. The only solution I know of involves deleting a game file that records your progress, so you'd essentially reset the game.

True, the only solution so far is to deleting the game data which means losing all of the in game progress :(

Already trying that, start again from the begining and the bug appear again after i finishing Ayame and Chiho's route.

I just find the way to fix the force close after you finishing two or more heroine route bug on the game.

First try to open the game, even if it keep FC it will open and running eventually.

After the game open and running put it on window mode, after that push ctrl+alt+del button and choose cancel.

You'll find extra menu on the top of the game page. Choose screen setting and set it according to your pc screen resolution (mine are 1920 x 1080), close the game and done.

I can open the game just fine without FC anymore 😊

Edited by Hardwon

Well, I've finished this, and I loved it. I think a couple of melodramatic developments were out of place, but otherwise the stories were enjoyable, and with the help of the walkthrough and quick skip feature, going back to redo the same heroine for a different version of the story was relatively painless. It would have killed me to go back without the walkthroughs as some things were not ever going to be obvious. I enjoyed most of the heroine's routes, though Mahiru was really funny until confession, her route got pretty boring after that, and she's too young to lewd for my taste so it was the only disappointing route. QP was the star of the story; very funny, and he had the same VA as Mihiro in Wagamama high spec which I spotted pretty quickly. The stand out thing for me was Rinka's VA has been in every sugar and spice game before this one, and she always played my favourite heroines or side characters, so it was awesome to get her again, especially since I quite enjoyed her route. She even did the 'just kidding' uso da yo thing in her original character in S+S1 so I'm sure they were paying homage to the original game. A couple of endings I thought weren't happy enough, tending to the bitter side too much when they were bitersweet, but overall they were satisfying. I loved the H scenes in general too; there were even some interesting realistic scenes amongst them, though scattered amongst other typical VN fare, and there were plenty for each heroine. The final word on the use of "dude"? We all agree it was a bad choice, and initially I would have liked to have explained it away as the translator choosing it because of Chiho being a tomboy character, but after hearing her in native Japanese, and getting to know the heroine, apart from her calling herself 'boku', there was nothing tomboy about her IMO. It reeks of the translator not having played the game first, and just translating it straight up.

6 hours ago, ittaku said:

It reeks of the translator not having played the game first, and just translating it straight up.

I think that is almost always the case*, as unfortunate as it is. Especially with bigger non-VN games. The more extreme cases (and what was responsible for some pretty bad quality game localizations) were situations where not only translators were working on disjointed out-of-context lines, but also voice actors were given just list of separate lines to record, and haven't even seen the scene they were to "perform" ;)

* apart from fan-TLs, which can have a bit of advantage in that field ;)

there were even some interesting realistic scenes amongst them

Yeah, those "realistic" bits (*) were funny, and a nice change of pace, but overally unfortunately I didn't enjoy most of the scenes.

Spoiler

Like the fact that in "normal" routes they often "succeed" to do it properly after at least two failed attempts instead of being pros right from get go.

The final word on the use of "dude"? We all agree it was a bad choice, and initially I would have liked to have explained it away as the translator choosing it because of Chiho being a tomboy character, but after hearing her in native Japanese, and getting to know the heroine, apart from her calling herself 'boku', there was nothing tomboy about her IMO

I agree that word choice was unfortunate. However I am genuinely curious - do you agree with translator's choice to translate it at all (but obviously with different wording), or would you rather leave it at "onii-chan"?

Edited by adamstan

40 minutes ago, adamstan said:

I agree that word choice was unfortunate. However I am genuinely curious - do you agree with translator's choice to translate it at all (but obviously with different wording), or would you rather leave it at "onii-chan"?

Ho boy this debate again. Then again, I'm not sure I've ever clearly stated my position on this. I have worked on projects where I've translated it both ways - leaving honorifics and a smattering of Japanese terms, and the alternative without leaving a single Japanese'ism in the translation. In my opinion, I think the ideal translation would never have any Japanese terms, except for things like food names and so on as that's how they'd be referred to in the west anyway. HOWEVER, it is extremely hard to do this and capture the nuance and please everyone at the same time (some would say impossible.) What people miss, though, is that if this is done seamlessly, the reader is completely unaware of the use of these terms in Japanese unless they're weaboos (note I consider myself somewhat of a weaboo so I don't mean this only in the derogatory way.) Weaboos are actively LOOKING for Japanese terms in the audio, or have a vague idea of what was in the original script and generally know some Japanese, but are usually not fluent in Japanese themselves. The more Japanese you know, the more forgiving you become of liberal translations since you have a better understanding that nuance is far more important than accuracy (they're subtly different things.) On the flip side, however, the target audience for these translations ARE weaboos, so the reality is they don't actually WANT a good translation, they want their little understanding of Japanese to make them think they understand it better if they're left in. Knowing your target audience is an important thing. Who are you translating it for? If you do an excellent liberal translation dropping honorifics and Japanese terms, you will get a fixed percentage of people that will be annoyed, irrespective of how good the translation is, and if you do a bad one, you'll get a large percentage of people that are annoyed. If you do a translation where you leave the honorifics and Japanese terms in place - provided you don't start making it clunky and literal, you'll actually get very few complaints at all. So in that regard, who are you translating it for if you're killing yourself to make it as liberal as possible? Fan translations are entitled to do whatever the hell they want. Official releases are a different matter... So anyway, if it's a trillion times easier to leave them in, and you end up pleasing more of the audience, why the fuck go about it the hard way? Put a handy translation notes card in with the game release explaining the few terms used for the few newcomers to the art form.

This might seem contradictory given I'm currently working on haruuru and we're not using any Japanese terms, but then ours is a fan translation, and some of us really wanted to try to do it without (me included). I think we've done a very good job on this (no dudes here.) Note also we played the game through before beginning the translation too. My translation commitment on that project is also almost complete. However, for games set in Japan, I think from now on if I were to choose, I'd just leave them in.

7 minutes ago, ittaku said:

This might seem contradictory given I'm currently working on haruuru and we're not using any Japanese terms, but then ours is a fan translation, and some of us really wanted to try to do it without (me included). I think we've done a very good job on this (no dudes here.)

I'm really looking forward to it - both to the game, and because I really want to see the results of that translation approach.

Also, thanks for the above paragraph.

12 minutes ago, ittaku said:

The more Japanese you know, the more forgiving you become of liberal translations since you have a better understanding that nuance is far more important than accuracy (they're subtly different things.)

Yeah, I experienced it firsthand - I was all for super-literal TLs.

17 minutes ago, ittaku said:

they want their little understanding of Japanese to make them think they understand it better if they're left in.

Those were my feelings as well, perfectly put :D , but as I slowly progressed in my JP knowledge, my stance softened and crumbled (even though I'm still a beginner). Now I just want something that isn't awkward ;)

However, as you say, doing excellent liberal translation is extremely difficult, and knowing the audience is important, so I think that finally convinces me to use honorifics in my reworking of Sakura no Kisetsu (which currently suffers from clunky translation that tried to be liberal, but failed) ;)

Not using japanese honorrifics makes for some awkward scenes when they discuss embarassingly what to call each other, or generally change it somewhere. Broken scenes is plenty worse than pandering to the target audience.

You might localize the games, but pretending its not japanese in nature is absurd.

42 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Not using japanese honorrifics makes for some awkward scenes when they discuss embarassingly what to call each other, or generally change it somewhere. Broken scenes is plenty worse than pandering to the target audience.

You might localize the games, but pretending its not japanese in nature is absurd.

I'd say bringing across those differences without relying ont he reader knowing honorifics and still making it sound natural is what indicates a excellent translation.

That being said, before you change it to something completely else (meaning leaving out such nuances or adding parts which just don't fit there, because you're not good enough of a translater to make an excellent localization) you should just keep them because it usually sounds less off than what it's replaced with in such cases ("dude", "insert spanish text here").

Though it's still more acceptable than completely changing personalites or adding your own puns for no reason, just for the record. (yes I'm talking to you BNE, SE and NISA)

8 hours ago, sarkasmus said:

I'd say bringing across those differences without relying ont he reader knowing honorifics and still making it sound natural is what indicates a excellent translation.

That being said, before you change it to something completely else (meaning leaving out such nuances or adding parts which just don't fit there, because you're not good enough of a translater to make an excellent localization) you should just keep them because it usually sounds less off than what it's replaced with in such cases ("dude", "insert spanish text here").

Though it's still more acceptable than completely changing personalites or adding your own puns for no reason, just for the record. (yes I'm talking to you BNE, SE and NISA)

I'm not sure it has anything to do with translation skills though. I'd think age and english vocabulary is the main culprit in these cases. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, now I have played the game some, finished Ayame's route, halfway through Yuuki's, and this game has a very tangible sense of foreboding for me. I am the kind of person who quits a route on the off chance that it might not turn out well. This is why I am hesitant to play through Chiho's and Rinka's route.

So, If someone could spoil those routes and more importantly their conclusions to me, I would be very grateful. 

1 hour ago, Demaar said:

Ok, now I have played the game some, finished Ayame's route, halfway through Yuuki's, and this game has a very tangible sense of foreboding for me. I am the kind of person who quits a route on the off chance that it might not turn out well. This is why I am hesitant to play through Chiho's and Rinka's route.

So, If someone could spoil those routes and more importantly their conclusions to me, I would be very grateful. 

Chiho's route: MC meets up with her at an intersection and she immediately says she recognizes him and that he could be her boyfriend. Afterwards, typical misunderstanding shenanigans ensues and he gets with her for real. She reveals she has amnesia as a result of an accident of some sort (forgive me I cant remember the type). Overtime the route continually gets more confusing with the MC starting to forget things and coming to the realization that nothing he has done has been real as it was all in his dreams and once he realizes this he wakes up and goes to find Chiho in reality and gets with her after she somehow remembers him although not technically ever meeting him reality. It was truly a mindfuck and definitely my second least favorite route.

Rinka's route: This route was actually good and had 2 drastically different endings. One was pretty harmless while the other really wasn't. Honestly, I recommend you read the confession end at the very least but I'll write what happens in that end as well (seriously just stop reading here and play it, it was a really good route and conclusion). 

Alright don't be mad if you would have enjoyed these routes without me spoiling lol. Her non-confession route is where they play pretend lovers for a week. This all came about as Rinka met MC under the apple tree and she was interested in knowing what love is and what it feels like. Afterwards, they have dates at the school and even go as far as fucking near the end. On the last day before she returns to her Idol life, he remembers she told him not to say he truly loves her so she can leave guilt free. You get the decision to confess or not like 3 times. If you choose no 3 times she'll tell you thanks and that she meant that she loves you (I think, or maybe the MC says he loves her to himself) and walks off and disappears for years and on the off chance he goes back to the apple tree she is there and they begin their life together. (Now, please go play the confession part, i mean, I spoil it but it one of the best parts of the VN)

If you confess she'll end up crying I believe but you'll be by the tree and that's where what QP told the MC about him losing something dear to him if he meets a certain girl comes true, with that girl we find out is Rinka. When they end up by the tree it ends up getting struck by lightning and falls and MC pushes Rinka out of the way at the cost of his legs. He becomes unable to walk and unable to taste properly as a result of the accident. Lots of internal turmoil ensues and Rinka quits her career to stick by his side. He ends up recovering and opening his own restaurant years later with her singing at the grand opening i believe. (I summarized this but there was a LOT more within the actual route)

Edited by Naterocks2000

3 hours ago, Naterocks2000 said:
  Hide contents

Chiho's route: MC meets up with her at an intersection and she immediately says she recognizes him and that he could be her boyfriend. Afterwards, typical misunderstanding shenanigans ensues and he gets with her for real. She reveals she has amnesia as a result of an accident of some sort (forgive me I cant remember the type). Overtime the route continually gets more confusing with the MC starting to forget things and coming to the realization that nothing he has done has been real as it was all in his dreams and once he realizes this he wakes up and goes to find Chiho in reality and gets with her after she somehow remembers him although not technically ever meeting him reality. It was truly a mindfuck and definitely my second least favorite route.

Rinka's route: This route was actually good and had 2 drastically different endings. One was pretty harmless while the other really wasn't. Honestly, I recommend you read the confession end at the very least but I'll write what happens in that end as well (seriously just stop reading here and play it, it was a really good route and conclusion). 

Alright don't be mad if you would have enjoyed these routes without me spoiling lol. Her non-confession route is where they play pretend lovers for a week. This all came about as Rinka met MC under the apple tree and she was interested in knowing what love is and what it feels like. Afterwards, they have dates at the school and even go as far as fucking near the end. On the last day before she returns to her Idol life, he remembers she told him not to say he truly loves her so she can leave guilt free. You get the decision to confess or not like 3 times. If you choose no 3 times she'll tell you thanks and that she meant that she loves you (I think, or maybe the MC says he loves her to himself) and walks off and disappears for years and on the off chance he goes back to the apple tree she is there and they begin their life together. (Now, please go play the confession part, i mean, I spoil it but it one of the best parts of the VN)

If you confess she'll end up crying I believe but you'll be by the tree and that's where what QP told the MC about him losing something dear to him if he meets a certain girl comes true, with that girl we find out is Rinka. When they end up by the tree it ends up getting struck by lightning and falls and MC pushes Rinka out of the way at the cost of his legs. He becomes unable to walk and unable to taste properly as a result of the accident. Lots of internal turmoil ensues and Rinka quits her career to stick by his side. He ends up recovering and opening his own restaurant years later with her singing at the grand opening i believe. (I summarized this but there was a LOT more within the actual route)

Spoiler

I think the non confess was best tbh. I think she was pretty tactless, which annoyed me in the confession end. "I love singing more than you" Yes, this might certainly be true. But not something you tell to a partly invalid person who's in that state because he saved your ass. You just don't. This is where you tell a white lie and start singing again like MC wants. Otherwise the ending was good i guess, but still the major difference here is that they were separated for a while and MC wasn't hurt in the non confess. Non confess is totally better in basically every way. Although the scene at the end of the confess end was beautiful.

I could probably teach a class on Chiho's route. :wahaha:

refer to this post. It's kind of a mess. 

On 2.1.2019 at 2:51 PM, TexasDice said:

Don't worry, Barney is I am here to save you, by explaining how Pepe Silvia Chiho works

Reveal hidden contents

Summary of the route's events:

1. Chiho gets bear from mom
2. Chiho loses Bear
3. protag finds bear and brings it to the police
4. Chiho gets back bear from Police
5. Chiho wants to find protag at school, but doesn't talk to him (in love I guess)
6. Chiho stalks protag to work, but is too shy to enter
7. Chiho stalks protag again with her mom and sits in way to watch the kitchen
8. Chiho and mom go home, Chiho loses bear on the intersection
9. Mother attempts to pick up the bear, but gets kissed by a truck (which is what QP shows protag as a dream)
10. Chiho has amnesia now and loses the bear again
11. protag finds the bear again brings it to da police one more time
12. Protag meets Chiho *CUE COMMON ROUTE*
13. They get together *CUE ROMANCE*
14. Chiho remembers a bunch of shit (half of which isn't true in the end)
15. Chiho retraces her steps back to the police, gets the bear back
16. Chiho almost gets hit by a car but the protag saves her
17. The protag now has amnesia and Chiho's amnesia is gone, but she has amnesia to all things she learned during the initial amnesia
18. protag goes through some more stuff and realizes it's a dream
19. protag wakes up from amnesia
20. protag and Chiho meet each other and she remembers what happened during her amnesia because of the automated phone message
21. Chiho explains the route in the epilogue via a giant exposition dump
22. Chiho's mom is alive, she was just in a come before
23. Chiho and protag confess once again, the END

So, what happened and what didn't?

This didn't happen:
Everything protag assumed happened at the age 5 or 6
Chiho and protag going out to wcdonalds and Naturale (she did that with her mom)
the rooftop H-scene
The phone not working and Chiho not remembering Protag
Protag saving Chiho's mom (QP's dream)

This did happen:
The bear gets lost, found, lost again
mom kisses a car
Chiho had a crush prior to protag knowing her
Protag hits a car
Everything else

zs9eE2G.jpg

As we see here, it's not that complicated of a story. The execution of it all is just pointlessly confusing. Everything happening between step 14 to 18 happens in a span of 20 minutes and Chiho's epilogue is basically just her attempting to tell you what happened in 15 minutes of straight expository dialog.