• Yataka 'Dude' Chiho
  2. 2. What is your favorite route?

• Himekami Ayame
    • Yataka 'Dude' Chiho
    • Komachi Mahiru
    • Rinka
    • Goshogawara Yukki

1 hour ago, Soulless Watcher said:

In all seriousness, I looked at previous pages and I couldn't find anything, could you point me to the specific posts? 

Stance? What stance? I've only said i dislike the improvisations and for me it's not worth buying. Whether or not he keeps his job is not my business and i frankly dont care. Try not to rage, discuss in circles and gang up on someone and perhaps insults dont fly.

1 minute ago, Stormwolf said:

Stance? What stance? I've only said i dislike the improvisations and for me it's not worth buying. Whether or not he keeps his job is not my business and i frankly dont care. Try not to rage, discuss in circles and gang up on someone and perhaps insults dont fly.

Ah, so two or three translation decisions have completely ruined the rest of the visual novel for you. I now understand the totality of your linguistic intolerance and will no longer bother you. 

7 minutes ago, ShinRaikdou said:

Oh, you can't understand my reasoning? Too bad, I have my own particular translation decision in this post. My engrish is broken too anyway.

No, I actually can. You're saying that it pisses you off because you don't understand shit of what they're saying. Yeah, that's a problem and I agree that it was probably better to just leave the broken English within brackets or something. But come on, there's much more to a translation that that. It's one thing to disagree with how something was handled and openly say so, and another thing to blow it out of proportion and be outright rude about it.

15 minutes ago, ShinRaikdou said:

Also, honorifics is a mess. Some of them there, some of them not.

If I were to guess the thought process behind that... it's probably because the translator felt that some honorifics felt more relevant than others to show the character's relations. Again, it's not necessarily something I personally agree with (though I'm still kind of unresolved as to whether to keep or not honorifics in Japanese translated literature... but I'm rather inclined towards the 'no') but you'll have to explain me why that's that big a deal as to completely ruin a translation. Would it really be that much better if he'd just removed all honorifics? Is it really that big an issue? :michiru:

22 minutes ago, ShinRaikdou said:

I don't see here a good translation if it constantly irritates me during playthrough.

It's definitely not a good translation for your blood pressure, I'll give you that.

29 minutes ago, Freestyle80 said:

Seems like they wasted a lot of resources on her for no reason

Maybe she was planned for FanDisc that never happened, because Chuablesoft went belly up?

Also, everyone outraged by translating your fetishistic - just check out second meaning https://jisho.org/word/お兄ちゃん , and accept, that words have different meanings, and it wasn't the "onii-chan" you wanted, so it had to be translated speciffically so it wouldn't be mixed-up with the first one, which most of pitchfork-wielding crowd seem to do - hence the outrage. Maybe "dude" isn't the best word choice, but given Chiho's personality, and judging by the stupid shitstorm here and on vndb - leaving it untranslated would be totally misleading. It wasn't meant to be cute - it seems that my analogy with rude client calling the waitress oneechan was spot on.

And I'm really baffled when I hear about "rewritten script", "americanization", Apollo's hamburgers etc - it's ridiculous overexaggeration. Up until now I didn't see anything in this VN's translation that would justify such claims.

Edited by adamstan

Personally, I'm not too worked up over the controversial localization changes made. The only one that sorta irks me is dudegirl - I understand the rationale behind it as others have explained, but I think it's apparent from some of the screenshots that 'dude' doesn't quite fit as a direct replacement in every case. Sounds like somebody already started on a restoration patch though. If it's complete by the time I get around to reading SukiSuki, I might install it (mostly for dude removal).

But man, rough couple of months for Arunaru in terms of fan backlash.

Edited by Incynerate

1 minute ago, Incynerate said:

I understand the rationale behind it as others have explained, but I think it's apparent from some of the screenshots that 'dude' doesn't quite fit as a direct replacement in every case.

That might be so - probably using direct (automatic, perhaps) replacement, was a mistake. It should be more context sensitive, since yeah, in h-scenes it might be too funny ;) But then that's editor's screwup :P However I still think that leaving it as "onii-chan" everywhere would be worse in this case.

Edited by adamstan

30 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Also, everyone outraged by translating your fetishistic - just check out second meaning https://jisho.org/word/お兄ちゃん , and accept, that words have different meanings, and it wasn't the "onii-chan" you wanted, so it had to be translated speciffically so it wouldn't be mixed-up with the first one

No one think of it as first meaning. Everyone know what does she mean by onii-chan, because its common knowledge that children's address by it an older guys if you ever watch few anime with them (and if you not then you would learn about it after this game... or not with this translation...).

She is oppai loli. Tomboyish, but still a child. So by Arunaru logic your example should be like that:

"Mummy, that dude just fell flat on his face!"

And that's just creepy. Although "man" is also a bad choice for Chiho.

Anyway, about patch:

Also, fine, I'll do the Onii-chan patch this weekend so you guys can stop bitching about it. I still need to read Chiho's route first to do actual QA which I didn't have time to do before.

Spanish removal and reverse name order will be later.

13 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Would it really be that much better if he'd just removed all honorifics? Is it really that big an issue?

Yes. If you remove them, then do it right. Right now it's a mess, like they was removed in last moment without replacement in context.

I found this funny btw:

NacRZyy.png

Edited by ShinRaikdou

Just now, adamstan said:

OK, I'm out of this thread until I finish the game (yeah, right...) I came to the conclusion that it's better to enjoy VN instead of arguing over translation. It's not like I'm able to convince anybody :P So guys have fun at it without me  ;)

thats what i've been doing, sad to see over half the thread is bitching :vinty:

Haha, god, I'm absolutely sure that "dude" is one of the worst localization choices in eroge history. He didn't even bother to replace it in H-scenes, I truly feel like he just didn't care for SukiSuki and wanted the game to be "meme"-like for fun. Noone sane would leave dude even in H-scenes otherwise. Now he looks at everyone and laughs like there's no tomorrow, the prank has worked well.

It's especially weird because I read it for a bit and otherwise the translation seems mostly fine. Maybe he hated working on it so much that "dude"-ing was the only way to keep himself motivated. It's so ridiculously funny that it's hard to be angry at the dude.

Edited by novurdim

2 hours ago, novurdim said:

Haha, god, I'm absolutely sure that "dude" is one of the worst localization choices in eroge history.

Setting aside the fact that I disagree it's a mistake... Even supposing it was a mistake, there are still much worse mistakes that have been made in the past.  Nocturnal Illusion was translated professionally, yet it chose to translate one of the girls calling you Shinichi-oniisama as ... Brother Shinichi.

[had to keep away, but I guess it won't hurt to discuss the game itself ;) ]

2 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

How do you get other 'Cupid's flowers'? I finished a route (both endings) and still got nothing 

I suppose that you have to use one to get the next? Walkthrough at seia-saiga doesn't mention using them - it seems that they are meant to be used as kind of "shortcuts" to get to the girl's route by instantly giving you one "relationship point", so you would miss bunch of scenes that way.

10 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

Setting aside the fact that I disagree it's a mistake... Even supposing it was a mistake, there are still much worse mistakes that have been made in the past.  Nocturnal Illusion was translated professionally, yet it chose to translate one of the girls calling you Shinichi-oniisama as ... Brother Shinichi.

Nocturnal Illusion's biggest problem was that translator apparently just sucked at English ;) But then, that translation is like 20 years old :o

Edited by adamstan

25 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

Nocturnal Illusion was translated professionally, yet it chose to translate one of the girls calling you Shinichi-oniisama as ... Brother Shinichi.

Still not as bad. There are mistakes that are obvious and glaring but you can notice those and ignore, they don't make much impact on your reading, only leave a bad aftertaste.

And then there's the duuuuuuuuuuudeeeeeeeeee which is so wacky, bizarre and ridiculous that it literally breaks your immersion. Every time. It may not be as big of a mistake as many others but it still hinders your experience the most.

(I'm not counting the straight-up inane or machine translations, those are in the league of their own)

Edited by novurdim

29 minutes ago, adamstan said:

[had to keep away, but I guess it won't hurt to discuss the game itself ;) ]

I suppose that you have to use one to get the next? Walkthrough at seia-saiga doesn't mention using them - it seems that they are meant to be used as kind of "shortcuts" to get to the girl's route by instantly giving you one "relationship point", so you would miss bunch of scenes that way.

Nocturnal Illusion's biggest problem was that translator apparently just sucked at English ;) But then, that translation is like 20 years old :o

You have a link for that walkthrough? Is it understandable if you translate the page or is there a translated one already?

11 minutes ago, TheFantasm said:

You have a link for that walkthrough?

どうぞ:)

http://seiya-saiga.com/game/chuable/sukisuki.html

I didn't try it with machine translations - with my limited Japanese knowledge I'm able to map the choices to the translated ones ingame. Having girl's names listed next to them definitely helps.

Names are:

彩雨 - Ayame
友希 - Yuuki / Yuki
まひる - Mahiru
リンカ - Rinka
千穂 - Chiho
絵里  - Eri
葵 - Aoi
まや - Maya

And choices for "My room mode" used in walkthrough are: 電話  - phone, 就寝  - sleep, 告白 - confess

Cant say i liked the gameplay system as it didnt progress status sufficient enough for me to know if i did the right things. The complicated part is the game tells you to not select eventa for your chosen heroine every day as you'll run out and go too many days without events, which will in turn ruin the progress you have. Well, i gunned ahead with yuuki events and started mixing it up a bit with side heroines etc and eventually landed on the chosen heroine route without any issues. Didnt follow a walkthrough though