• Himekami Ayame
    • Yataka 'Dude' Chiho
    • Komachi Mahiru
    • Rinka
    • Goshogawara Yukki

11 minutes ago, ShinRaikdou said:
  Reveal hidden contents

G27dN0h.png

Funny little strip. But I was talking about the language, not the setting. Admittedly language and culture often go hand in hand, and it's impossible to translate something into another language without many cultural references being lost in the process, if you want the translation to sound natural. That's a price you must pay regardless. Or you know, if you are so dissatisfied, learn the freaking language and read the original. 

Edited by Thyndd

3 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

It's not strange. Well, it is strange to be fine with paying lots of money and know you were served a translation which said something else than what the voices of the characters tell you. But if you're like me then your head is correcting what the translator with his brain cell deficiency tries to rewrite into absurdity (worst is the spanish stuff). At least the easy parts, which to me are the parts i hear complaints about. What i don't get though is why people who seemingly don't like Japan too much reading vn's? It's pretty much a weeb, otaku hobby, i can't see it as anything else.

With all due respect, if your head is correcting the apparently brain-damaged translator's interpretations, why aren't you just saving yourself the trouble by reading it in Japanese?

And personally, I'm not particularly fond of Japan more than any other country, but I enjoy reading me some VNs. There are plenty of visual novels from western countries and China these days. I wouldn't call it a weeb hobby as much as it is a hobby with a majority population of weebs, but then again I just get defensive because I don't like being auto-assumed as a weeb :Teeku:

7 minutes ago, Zander said:

With all due respect, if your head is correcting the apparently brain-damaged translator's interpretations, why aren't you just saving yourself the trouble by reading it in Japanese?

And personally, I'm not particularly fond of Japan more than any other country, but I enjoy reading me some VNs. There are plenty of visual novels from western countries and China these days. I wouldn't call it a weeb hobby as much as it is a hobby with a majority population of weebs, but then again I just get defensive because I don't like being auto-assumed as a weeb :Teeku:

Hmm, guess you missed my post where i said i only undetstand simple phrases and words. Im sure i could learn spoken japanese, but multiple thousands of symbols is a mountain too steep.

I didn't know if personal translator choice can cause some commotion here, regardless of how suitable the choice it is. Anyway as someone who managed to finished Fureraba along with two routes at Chrono Clock, then this kind of the translation shouldn't be bother me. If anything, this commotion was served to strengthen my personal opinion that there's no translation that was free from the critics, at least from what I saw in VN Translation scenes so far. And therefore it's always to each of their own if we talk about the translation here, unless if we talk about the example like Your Diary or Sakura Games VNs in which case that we can say those VNs did have bad translations. That said, we still don't know though of how good the translation is to other people if we keep only talking that 'Oni-chan' was translated as 'Dude' as the example, so perhaps we should read the VN fully in order to find out.

PS - Apparently Arunaru's dissing was started from 4chan (How appropriate) in that 4chan dislike Arunaru for not using the translation for the terms that everyone got used with it when he translating Rance series officially.

Edited by littleshogun

Personal translator choice always causes some sort of commotion here because of the non-toxic and non-judgemental community we have here who understand and respect that people aren't perfect and have their own way of doing things, regardless of how odd it may seem/sound.

Edited by AdventSign
Gotta make sentences more proper for teh 1337 bois and their e-peens

8 hours ago, Rain Spectre said:

If Aru quits TLing over this BS, I'm going to hold you jerks personally accountable. 

nothing of great value loss, you think he is the only translator eager to work for mangagamer and projects like Rance? complaining because he was "forced into it" it's a job man, if he doesn't like it and will willingly fuck up a translation mangagamer is better of hiring other people.

So he fucked up a translation...by using "Dude" instead of "Onii-chan" (When the desired meaning wouldn't have com across with the latter, and just using a name would be impossible given the narrative) and using Spanish to represent broken English (Even if you disagree with that singular decision, it's one goddamn scene). 

Right. 

Just now, Rain Spectre said:

So he fucked up a translation...by using "Dude" instead of "Onii-chan" (When the desired meaning wouldn't have com across with the latter, and just using a name would be impossible given the narrative) and using Spanish to represent broken English (Even if you disagree with that singular decision, it's one goddamn scene). 

Right. 

"so he fucked up the translation by fucking up the translation"

also as a spanish native yeah the broken spanish shit is horrible.

19 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Honestly, complaining about minor details like this when we've got plenty machine translations out there to deal with seems just retarded.

What kind of thinking is this? You don't ignore a problem because you got a relatively bigger and unrelated one elsewhere. If this was a fan translation then i wouldn't care one bit, i'd actually cheer on him for doing the work for free. Paying for a partly rewritten script though is a no go for me. Admittedly this is a minor case (but the dude thing is a major turn off) and you have far worse examples, especially jrpg's etc.

8 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

What kind of thinking is this? You don't ignore a problem because you got a relatively bigger and unrelated one elsewhere. If this was a fan translation then i wouldn't care one bit, i'd actually cheer on him for doing the work for free. Paying for a partly rewritten script though is a no go for me. Admittedly this is a minor case (but the dude thing is a major turn off) and you have far worse examples, especially jrpg's etc.

It's called having your priorities in order. Besides, the fact that you or I don't agree with a particular translation decision doesn't make the translation poor by any stretch. If you're going to bash a proper translation, which if you didn't notice, we don't get that many, you'd better have your damn good reasons. And let me remind you, you don't have to pay for that translation. It's up to you whether you buy it or not, and you're perfectly entitled to do so; not so much to put down other people's work without a sound argument, though.

10 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

It's called having your priorities in order. Besides, the fact that you or I don't agree with a particular translation decision doesn't make the translation poor by any stretch. If you're going to bash a proper translation, which if you didn't notice, we don't get that many, you'd better have your damn good reasons. And let me remind you, you don't have to pay for that translation. It's up to you whether you buy it or not, and you're perfectly entitled to do so; not so much to put down other people's work without a sound argument, though.

There are a lot of good arguments, the problem is that you don't agree with them. This discussion is pointless.

Came out of my Fuwanovel vacation to see more of the dumpster fire that is Spanish Dudegate. Glad to see I was not disappointed. 

I'm simply amazed at this emotional response to a relatively small part of the entire translated work. 

Granted this is coming from a relatively clueless reader that didn't notice anything strange with the original fan-translations of Hoshizora and CrossChannel. 

Just now, Stormwolf said:

There are a lot of good arguments, the problem is that you don't agree with them. This discussion is pointless.

I mean, I might've missed them, then? All I've seen is how the translation is shit because of the occasional broken Spanish that was used as a substitute for the original broken English (you might not agree with the decision, but can you explain how this makes the whole TL shitty?), and the fact that a very specific and context imbued 'お兄ちゃん' was translated as 'dude'. 

Just please enlighten me and explain to this poor ignorant why that's worth shitting all over this TL and asking for the perpetrator to get fired. Or, if you have better arguments, then by all means say so. The last thing I'd want to do is to put words in your mouth.