"Sakura Sakura" finally got release date - 19.11.2018

adamstan

Just now, adamstan said:

But isn't it somewhat natural? That characters are seeking comforting through physical intimacy? I have to admit that while the scenes were numerous, they didn't feel too much tacked-on to me, at least compared to some other titles I played.

Maybe I just don't play as many with really tacked on ones I guess? At least in Akira's route they were happening literally every other time Naoki and her had any revelation about one another. Kind of annoying when it continually stops the plot like that. From what I saw going through Kurumi's it seemed a bit more well spaced out, with one being saved for completely after.

15 minutes ago, EntireInternet said:

Kind of annoying when it continually stops the plot like that.

Ah, now I see. I didn't perceive it that way - for me relationships between characters were more important than the "plot" so that's probably why I was okay with it.

Edited by adamstan

2 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Ah, now I see. I didn't perceive it that way - for me relationships between characters were more important than the "plot" so that's probably why I was okay with it.

Well the plot of this game is the growth in the relationships between characters, the sex scenes mostly after the first don't feel like they added anything to that though and just got in the way of actual character progression.

Lemme put it this way, what actually happened to make them at all meaningful? Nothing really. There wasn't anything to justify them as meaningful or purposeful and were really just fan service-y. This is as opposed to the first two in the first two routes, they are justified by the struggles and hardships the characters went through together to get to that point. Akira's first one doesn't even really feel that "earned" since it comes only like 10 minutes afters the common route concludes.

3 minutes ago, EntireInternet said:

Lemme put it this way, what actually happened to make them at all meaningful? Nothing really. There wasn't anything to justify them as meaningful or purposeful and were really just fan service-y. This is as opposed to the first two in the first two routes, they are justified by the struggles and hardships the characters went through together to get to that point. Akira's first one doesn't even really feel that "earned" since it comes only like 10 minutes afters the common route concludes.

Hmm... you have some fair points here. That made me thinking. Maybe really my standards were lowered after SukiSuki ;) Because, like I said earlier, to me even those more fanservicey scenes from Akira's route felt like sweet sweet love compared to that almost mechanical fucking in SukiSuki. But when rethinking the whole thing - yep, one or two could have been omitted. If all-ages version was made like Sanoba (cutting only the sex itself) I'd probably prefer it, but it cuts much more, and there are gaping holes left after that.

And I agree that first Sakura's and Nanako's scenes were much better.

Just now, adamstan said:

Hmm... you have some fair points here. That made me thinking. Maybe really my standards were lowered after SukiSuki ;) Because, like I said earlier, to me even those more fanservicey scenes from Akira's route felt like sweet sweet love compared to that almost mechanical fucking in SukiSuki. But when rethinking the whole thing - yep, one or two could have been omitted. If all-ages version was made like Sanoba (cutting only the sex itself) I'd probably prefer it, but it cuts much more, and there are gaping holes left after that.

And I agree that first Sakura's and Nanako's scenes were much better.

Yeah, I haven't played SukiSuki so I really can't comment on it haha. Honestly though I think they just botched it trying to write Naoki's story in general. At least in Akira's route it just feels like it wasn't needed, and the common route is just a struggle to read. I mean it didn't really feel like anything happened, beyond them resolving things from their past which weren't really foreshadowed anywhere in the main game making them feel even a bit shoehorned. But that said, of course Akira's sex scene(s) are gonna be worse considering the entire section seemed worse off for all the reasons I mentioned. Maybe I'm too critical on them specifically.

Well I finally finished and figured I would lay out my thoughts on it.

Spoiler

First and foremost, I think the structure of this visual novel could have been handled much better. Honestly it felt like Naoki should never have been put in the main character chair and his plots should have just been built off of the original routes and then just continued from them into the One Year Later routes. His common route was a mess because it had to try and appease both canons, and then his characterization felt pretty butchered, especially since you were taken out of his perspective a few times during his route. Worst yet during Sakura (Kirishima)'s one year later route they showed they could easily do a romance for other characters.

Now onto my actual analysis of the routes.

Spoiler

The Common route: It felt like it dragged on at parts, especially early when establishing characters. Sometimes scenes just would not end or move to something new, and it gave me a little disdain for Naoki and Akira especially early on. It went away as the visual novel continued through the common route but it was still annoying. I think a problem the common route suffers from is that the entire build up of the story really pushes towards Sakura (Kirishima)'s route through the whole art club narrative being so focused on. That said I've actually grouped this route as feeling more so like it 'belongs' with Sakura (Kirishima)'s route as part of her story.

Sakura (Kirishima)'s route: What felt to me as the natural progression from the Common route due to the art club subplot being a huge driving force throughout the common route. This route never bores and I wondered if it would ever slow down, because it was just one thing after another pushing for continuous excitement which made it extremely fun. It also gives Tohru his biggest moment as a bad ass in the entire visual novel towards the end of it. What it really lacks however, was character development from Tohru. He didn't reeeeally change over the course of it. In particular his fatal flaw was still ever present throughout the entire route to the ending. A big thing for me though is that this also felt like the natural "conclusion" of Sakura's story by the end of it, and her one year later really not adding much to her story but just building onto the story of the world and other characters. I think I arrived at this because Nanako stops pursuing Tohru of her own agency when she realizes his relationship with Sakura, and by the end of it things are wrapped up pretty nicely. There wasn't any character growth because of this or things that needed to be continued on for the main characters here.

Nanako (Sakura)'s route: This really felt like it's own story and as if it had a different writer or like they did not know how to continue it from the common route to me. It felt like it really went it's own way with things and dropped the art club plot really quickly, which gave it a real disconnect from the common route in a way. And honestly, I don't really mind if common routes have a disconnect from character routes because trying to force them to fit thematically with every character's route (especially in games with more options) is just going to lead to issues. It was just extremely noticeable and odd here because the other route completely builds off of that common route and keeps going, where this one 180s it. That is probably where this route excels however, is from that 180 Tohru receives quite a bit of character development in rekindling a bond with his family and growing to become more decisive. Further, this one did not feel like the ending of the story with it's ending, and left plenty of room for development in the one year later arc. Compared to Sakura (Kirishima)'s route, it is worth noting that it is a lot slower, less action packed, and more grounded over all. It didn't feel like a race of one thing after the other like in Sakura (Kirishima)'s route.

Naoki's Common route: This was a mess and sucked pretty bad. It was an extremely odd choice to suddenly make Naoki the main character, take his face away, take his voice acting away, and them give Tohru a face with eyes and voice acting as he took a back seat. Honestly, with both the Sakura's gone in this route Tohru probably should not have even been there if the intent was to make Naoki the main character, it would've made leaving his relationship ambiguous much easier. Of course, the biggest problem with this route is that it has to fill both canons from the previous two. It really should have just not existed and the character routes stemming from it should have just started off from the original paths in one extended story. 

Akira's route: Honestly beyond the overarching problems I had with the entire Naoki as MC section of the game which continue to plague this route, the biggest problem to me was that it felt like very little actually happened. Most of the arc was spent explaining their past together and revelations between the characters about said past, with very little of substance happening in the present. Because of this there was very little dramatic action or tension and nothing in the arc really gripped interest here for me. It was also bogged down by pointless sex scenes every time Naoki and Akira were alone together. Literally any time they were left alone they started going at it like rabbits.

Kurumi's route: I didn't read it after the headache of the common route and Akira's honestly. I've read enough of the visual novel to really determine it wasn't worth my time. Also, just through Naoki's original characterization throughout the common route, him and Kurumi never really felt like they belonged together and Kurumi's affection for him felt forced at best. Maybe the route ended up being good, IDK, but I doubt it.

Sakura (Kirishima)'s One Year After route: There are a few things with this story arc that I want to talk about. First of all, despite it's label the story arc never really feels like it's about Sakura and Tohru but rather just their relationship continuing off from where it was. The real thrust of this arc was about the side characters Moe and Taki and their relationship with Moe running out of time as a student and member of the art club. It was a very good route and I this aspect of it, but everything else seemed a bit superfluous. There were bits of fun between Tohru and Sakura which was good but it still definitely did not seem like their route. I think the biggest take away from this however, was that the writers were perfectly capable of doing relationships /without/ changing the main characters. Which really baffles me about the Naoki routes, where they really should have just left Tohru as our eyes and ears.

Nanako (Sakura)'s One Year After route: This felt like a proper and more necessary continuation of Nanako's original route. I really commend it on concluding Tohru's development where he finally becomes decisive and able to commit to things, and giving closure to Sakura (Kirishima) in it. Coming back to things a year later from where the two characters left off together as well really works here too because you don't miss a year of their relationship which definitely adds to the disconnect in Sakura (Kirishima)'s one year after route. Overall this was probably the best act of the visual novel in my mind because it really does close out on a lot of things and I see why it's suggested to be played last. I think the one fault I can give this and the previous chapter was that Bitou really got sidelined despite how he said "I don't give up easily". Of course Nanako made his choice pretty clear, but early on in the original common route and her route they tried to make it pretty clear how into Nanako, Bitou was. But then he sort of just disappears from trying to pursue her after the marriage rejection and saying he doesn't give up easy. I just feel like they should have done more with that since it was set up.

Now for my overall thoughts and impressions, as well as my closing remarks towards it.

Spoiler

I think the structure really holds this visual novel back in a lot of ways. I believe the style of almost no narration outside of sex scenes was performed quite well and applaud this aspect of it, but there were just too many other mistakes made. The whole Naoki section should not have been done from his perspective, or had a common route. Sakura (Kirishima)'s route should not have just had Nanako disappear from the narrative on her own or at least should have had some other way for Naoki to overcome his indecisiveness as a character. Overall I think both routes did things well and some other things poorly, and they really felt like they were written by different people. If you have more questions about why it felt like the common route and Nanako's route felt so disconnected I can give some more examples if you ask, but I feel like I went on about that enough here already. I know this is sort of the thing with visual novels, that you can't have everything happen or come full circle between different routes without their being a "true" route, but because of this it definitely left something to be desired from both routes. You really miss out on the characterization of half the cast between choosing either route, which ultimately hurts the visual novel in my eyes. Especially in Sakura (Kirishima)'s route, though to a degree in Nanako's route as well. 

Despite all these problems with the visual novel I really enjoyed it and was sad it was over, but at the same time happy for Tohru and Nanako being engaged and in that route Tohru being able to become friends with Sakura because he overcame his fatal flaw of indecisiveness. I wish there was more honestly, because I feel like again Nanako's route leaves a lot open for stories about their future together. Does Tohru go to college, try to do something with Kendo, join the work force? Who knows. I wish there could have been some sort of true route which made it not feel like you were missing half of the characters depending on which you choose, but that's the medium for ya. I do almost want to call Nanako's route a psuedo true route because it resolves Sakura Kirishima's character during it as well, without just quickly sidelining her, and leads to Tohru reaching his "peak" potential at any point in the story, in terms of growth. It's the path where he's truly most changed and the best off in I feel.

In terms of route order, based on how I group them this is my order from best to worst.

1. Nanako's Route + Nanako's One Year After
2. Common Route + Sakura's Route
3. Sakura's One Year After
4. Akira's Route
5. Naoki's Common Route
?. Kurumi's Route

If you read all this thanks for reading and I definitely recommend checking this visual novel out if you're interested.

Edit: If you have any recommendations for visual novels similar to this please lay them on me. I want more.

Edited by EntireInternet
Addition

Spoiler

Agreed, though it really doesn't go into that he's running away from his problems in the common route much. I don't remember the common route really talking about his family situation much if at all, and mostly just made it appear like he didn't care for it and really just wanted to meet girls and get away from sports. Not that he was running away, which is why I think it seems to lend itself more towards Sakura's route. Also I think how Nanako's route handles the club is very abrupt, because he was putting a ton of effort into it prior and then he suddenly jsut stops all effort. Maybe that's because his motivation was gone? But that said if his motivation was just Sakura then that again lends the common route to really pushing towards being more apart of Sakura's route because of how big of a piece it was to the common route.

Also I made an edit at the bottom, if you have any recommendations for visual novels like this please lemme know.