"Sakura Sakura" finally got release date - 19.11.2018

adamstan

Nice to see that Sol Press finally managed to release their first announcements after a several delays here, and not to mention there's some obstacle with waiting for Steam review along with the upscaling works. Anyway Sakusakura here s definitely not a part of Sakura franchise from Winged Cloud here, because it's been released back at 2009. The premise here is that we'll going to have two MCs along with four heroines, and each heroines will be separated into two to have a love triangle drama with each of the MCs. While this VN looks like will not as interesting as WA2 in regard of the love triangle, it's still have some good point though especially in regard of the casts and the interfaces. As for the heroines, once again we'll have four so let me list the heroines here and the MC here seeing that the MCs here got voiced as well.

1. Kirishima Sakura - The stoic vice president of the art club, in which she's also one of the respectable students because the school setting in Sakusakura did have the art club here being the most prominent club. Her seiyuu is Akane Tomonaga in whch we should recognize her roles as Kawakami Kazuko/Wanko from Majikoi, Kazami Kazuki from Grisaia franchise, Moribe Jun from Root Double, Nagamine Nozomi from Seinarukana, and Hasuno Saki from Hapymaher.

2. Sakura Nanako - The dorm mother, and also the math teacher at the school. She's quite short so she usually have the problem to exert her authority, although whenever she's angry she's quite frightening. Her seiyuu is Maki Izumi, in which her roles in VNs is Kamikita Komari from Little Busters, Shindou Chihiro from ef, Hanasaki Akane from Da Capo 2, Tachibana Shizuru from Grisaia franchise, and Mizuzaka Ren from Baldr Force PC version.

3. Inaba Tohru - Our first MC and those two heroines above are his heroines. His setting is that he's an ace of kendo back at his old school and he want to move on to the new school because he want to have some interaction with the girls seeing that his old school was all by school. His seiyuu is Fukushima Jun who his more well known role was Kazuma from Konosuba, and his roles in VNs were Sarukawa Kinjirou from Wagahigh and Akashima Ayumu (Occasionally) from Yumina the Ethereal.

4. Nitta Aki - The childhood friend of the second MC, in which she's the manager of the kendo club while at the same time the sole member of the gymnastic club (The athletic club in the school did got shafted in favor of art club). As childhood friend, she's very often dd have quarrels with her friend so much that Tohru tell that the childhood friend duo looks like a married couple lol. Her seyuu is Kanematsu Yuuka in which her roles in translated VNs were Oofusa Hiyori from Dracu Riot and Ondera Asahi from Period.

5. Tachibana Kurumi - Personally I find her design is quite cute. Anyway her role is that she's the prodigy whose still at junior high school, and yet she already show some talent in art. Even though she's quite talented in art, in the past she's also like to play MMORPG and being shut in. Currently she's tryng to find her teammate in MMORPG that was never appear after the game in question was shut down. Her seiyuu is Sakakibara Yui in which Dies Irae fan should know her as Marie's seiyuu and the opening singer. Other than Mare, her role were Kishimoto Ayase in Chaos Head, Mint in Sorakumo, and Ai in Amatarasu.

6. Fuse Naoki - The aforementioned second MC who like to quarrel with Aki quite often. He's also the captain of kendo club which faced similar situation like gymnastic club as well, so much that Naoki decided to try recruit Tohru through questionable method. He's also like to sell the photo of the girls that he get through the questionable method as well. His seiyuu is Michihiko Hagi in which he did voice Aoi Hinata back at I/O.

That's all for the main casts of Sakusakura, and if you want to learn abut this game through the reviews, you can read both of Moroboshi Yuumei's one and Accany's one which should be the good read although as usual beware of minor spoiler though for the precaution here.

Edited by littleshogun

Is this promised improvements? If anything I would prefer original version. Face looks a little different. Or Sol Press just put PSVita/PS4 images?

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/124827
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/124828
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/124829

Edited by ShinRaikdou

?? I don't see anything wrong with images from english version.

On the closer look, second and third image have just-so-slightly different mouth placement, but I think it is almost non-noticeable difference. I had to look two or three times to see it. And edited image still looks better to me - if the game has to run in high resolution, then leaving original images wouldn't look good.

Edited by adamstan

16 minutes ago, adamstan said:

?? I don't see anything wrong with images from english version.

On the closer look, second and third image have just-so-slightly different mouth placement, but I think it is almost non-noticeable difference. And edited image still looks better to me - if the game has to run in high resolution, then leaving original images wouldn't look good.

There also sprites with bigger eyes and thicker (a little) eyebrows. Noticeable here on character portrait http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/124828

Its not that bad, but I don't think its a good thing when 3rd party edit something with notable differences. At least make a options.

Can't check PS4 version, though. I think there also HD resolution.

Edited by ShinRaikdou

The original has some kind of anti-aliasing filter on it.  You can tell in the picture of blue-hair with the baseball mitt.  Look at the really long, elaborate braid.  You can see the jaggies much more cleanly on the English version.  Also, the faces are cleaner.  The antialiasing filter makes the headshot in the textbox look fuzzy in the Japanese version.  I don't like that.

This vn seems really amateurish in a way. Seems the writers couldn't handle 2 progatonists.

Spoiler

You start with Tooru and do the two routes. That's all fine and good, but then you move on to the sequel of his route which is Naoki's turn as the protagonist. But what became of Tooru canonically? He's there all the time, yet he doesn't seem to care about the Sakura's. He did yell at the start about Nanako's absence when he arrived but after that it's been silent. He also got mad about some *bleep* thing from Kirishima which Naoki stole. So what happened? Did he canonically not choose anyone and waste my time reading this?

After looking here and there, it seems that Naoki is horrible protagonist, being extreme jerk/asshole. That seriously turns me off - that's one of the various reasons I'm avoiding School Days like a plague :P. Have you already read his part? Is it really as bad as VNDB forums make it to be?

But I thought this is what dense MC haters want.

Thats his point, basically if you hate dense MC you should love this guy.

So if you don't like the stupid protagonist then you'll like this one... Dumbest thing i've heard all day. This one just takes it to the other extreme.

And so on... That last comment was from @Stormwolf if I'm not mistaken, and I agree with it - do writers really need to go from one extreme to the other? Anyway, if I had to choose, I'd prefer donkan or hetare MC over an asshole. That would be lesser evil ;) But why cannot they give us just some decent guy, with some guts/balls but without being totally obnoxious? You know - the MC that wouldn't make us facepalm at his every action, or lack thereof, but also didn't stimulate killer instincts ;)

Edited by adamstan

What I can say is that the first comment was came from a mentally ill user on VNDB that was created this thread, while the latter did like nameable MC so much that did have argument with mod Clephas about that matter (Sorry for going a bit personal here). So in short VNDB here can be as wild as Reddit, or perhaps on some instance even more. As for the OP of that thread, well I think his taste was more in line with nice protagonists there and like to put himself on the shoes of the MC there. As for what Naoki did, from the demo he'd tried to trick Inaba to enter the kendo club, and the reason of that because the kendo club itself is lack of members. Granted that Naoki's way was quite not honorable to put it nicely, but I would say that the OP at VNDB didn't really need to express his disgust in hyperbolic way. Anyway, what I can say is that perhaps you should try the VN first, and if you couldn't handle Naoki at the first scene then you can drop it (Besides there'll be more interesting VN that will be translated in short time such as Suki Suki, HGB, Hoshiori, and Damekoi in case you dislike Naoki later).

PS - As for whether you should believe VNDB or not, well I would say that you better draw the conclusion by yourself here.

Edited by littleshogun

4 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

more interesting VN that will be translated in short time such as Suki Suki, HGB, Hoshiori, and Damekoi

Yeah, SukiSuki should be out in two weeks :D As for DameKoi - it probably will take some time still. But I think I saw it mentioned somewhere as one of the "beginner-friendly" titles for reading untranslated ;) So either way I'm going to read it someday.

As for Sakura Sakura - yeah, I'll definitely try it, but I'm waiting for some price drop - maybe during winter Steam sale? Sol Press' titles are on the more expensive side when it comes to localized VNs.

Only read the two first routes. Two girls seems weird in this day and age, but they get a fair amount of screen and development time because of that. The dislikable shithead side characters (who get their own route) get better as it goes along and I really dig this "old-style, but modern tech"-aesthetic of the animated sprites and CGs (love myself some mouth-flapping). 

Sakura's route was A LOT better than Nanako's though. Unless the "one-year-later" route fixes some serious issues, Nanakers is pretty bad. And I kind of don't want to read the other two routes, because Kurumi is too precious for Naoki and the aforementioned Akari is still a cunt.

Well, i have finished it now.

Spoiler

It's a decently funny vn that's for sure. It lacks in the romance department even thought it seems to sell itself as being a romance vn. It seems to skip over a lot of content only to bring you more screen time with every character relevant in the route.  So i can say that the selected heroine has way too few bonding moments with the protagonist. 

Naoki was neutered during his route. What the hell was that? You can see glimpses of his personality, but it just vanishes and he resembles more and more a regular protagonist. 

And i must say that Kirishima route seemed like a joke route whereas Nanako's was a pretty damn good route with a good conclusion. Nanako's route seemed right for multiple reasons.