Visual Novel In-Game Date

LemiusK

This is just something trivial I'm curious about.

Okay, so you know that in some visual novels, there's a date displayed on-screen, right? And even with those without such a display, you could tell when a day has passed within the story, right? So, personally, I have developed a kind of weird habit myself. I tend to play multiple visual novels at the same time, so I would switch between them after a single in-game day has passed in each of the VN I'm reading. This has led to a rather immersive experience sometimes where I would wake up, picking up where I left off last night, and it's the start of a new day in the VN, while I would stop reading a VN just as I'm about to go to bed, which is also often when the protagonist go to sleep as well. I hope that makes sense. This is particularly immersive in harem VNs and Key VNs, where the protagonist would start each day in his bed, waking up. So when I start each day reading the VN again, I'm reading from the perspective of the protagonist just as he's waking up as well. Pretty cool, right? This is especially effective with VNs that require you to spend an entire day reading it just for a single day to pass in the story (lengthy stories like Fate/Stay Night and Ever17 can often work this way).

But yeah, it's a weird habit, I know. Nevertheless, I am curious if any one else has a similar reading habit regarding the time of day within the story they're reading. 

I think the first time I caught myself doing something that was playing Persona 4.  I thought it would be cool to go through the year playing the date in game in real life, but since some days just fly past and others go on for awhile I never attempted it though. Playing VNs I definitely do like to quit at the end of a day, since it's usually the perfect spot to remember whats going on, but I also like to try to match up seasons with the ones in real life. Seeing it snowing and reading about how warm my character's tea is, while it's snowing in real life and I'm wrapped in blankets, drinking my own tea just makes me feel extra cozy.

1 minute ago, ciel_yuri said:

Playing VNs I definitely do like to quit at the end of a day, since it's usually the perfect spot to remember whats going on,

Yeah, definitely. Plus, when you start the VN again the next day, sometimes the protagonist would forget about something from yesterday, and you would find yourself vaguely remembering it too since it's also yesterday for you. That kind of experience is just fun.

3 minutes ago, ciel_yuri said:

but I also like to try to match up seasons with the ones in real life. Seeing it snowing and reading about how warm my character's tea is, while it's snowing in real life and I'm wrapped in blankets, drinking my own tea just makes me feel extra cozy.

Man, that's really cool, but I don't have seasons here (only rain or shine), so I can't pull off the same trick. That said, it is cool to be playing a visual novel during the same holidays as featured in the story sometimes. Like playing a story set in Christmas during December. lol That's kinda cool in its own way and makes the reading experience much more richer.

5 minutes ago, LemiusK said:

Man, that's really cool, but I don't have seasons here (only rain or shine), so I can't pull off the same trick. That said, it is cool to be playing a visual novel during the same holidays as featured in the story sometimes. Like playing a story set in Christmas during December. lol That's kinda cool in its own way and makes the reading experience much more richer.

I'm gonna have to look for some Christmas themed VNs. I remember looking for Christmas anime to watch last year and it was, sadly, pretty lacking. Hopefully, there will be a Christmas recommendations thread like there was for Halloween too.

That type of stuff is fun though. It kinda feels like it helps me get more emotionally invested. That little extra bond with the characters really helps for me.

1 minute ago, ciel_yuri said:

I'm gonna have to look for some Christmas themed VNs. I remember looking for Christmas anime to watch last year and it was, sadly, pretty lacking. Hopefully, there will be a Christmas recommendations thread like there was for Halloween too.

I was actually remembering "ef - a fairy tale of the two" just as I was writing that. lol I remember it fondly because its adapted anime was one of the few with Christmas in it. Since ef's beginning starts some time near Christmas, it might be fun for me to pick it up some time then.

2 minutes ago, LemiusK said:

I was actually remembering "ef - a fairy tale of the two" just as I was writing that. lol I remember it fondly because its adapted anime was one of the few with Christmas in it. Since ef's beginning starts some time near Christmas, it might be fun for me to pick it up some time then.

I was actually thinking about Ef as I was typing that too. I was actually playing it for a couple hours earlier today. :sachi: It would be perfect to start around Christmas. I started it around last Christmas and I found the opening church scene and everything, so atmospheric and perfect. I still haven't even finished it, but I love it. It can be so slow, but the art and music and everything is just so good. I'm gonna be sad when I finally finish it.