Visual novel with European style drawings

Thelord

Hi everyone,
it's been a while since I approached the world of Visual Novels and I have a rather special question.
Are there any Visual Novels with a different design style than the Japanese one?
Not that I do not like them but it seems a bit 'strange that the kind of game is related only to a type of artistic style.

Well, you'll not find many of those among Japanese ones, but with Western-made visual novels, there are a few notable examples - first ones that come to mind are Cinders and Solstice and to a slightly lesser extent CUPID. There are surely quite a few smaller titles that also used distinctly Western artstyle, but those are the clearest examples I can recall right now.

There are also quite a few western VNs that mostly follow the anime style, but give it a slight spin that makes them distinct from Japanese-made games. Here I would include SoulSet, ebi-hime's VN illustrated by Sillyselly or maybe even VA-11 HALL-A with its pixelart aesthetic.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Very interesting, thank you.
Following the suggestions of Steam, starting from the games you recommended, I found other titles that seem interesting:
Queen Of Thieves , it seems like a dating-sim with a particular style of drawings;

The Ballad Singer , the style here is even more different, it tends to "realistic".

But it is really difficult to find others even starting from the suggestions of Steam.
In your opinion, is it due to the predominant of the Japanese market?

56 minutes ago, Thelord said:

But it is really difficult to find others even starting from the suggestions of Steam.
In your opinion, is it due to the predominant of the Japanese market?

In a way - it's because of visual novels either being Japanese or imitating the Japanese format closely. You'll find mostly people interested in manga and anime on both the producer and consumer side of Western VNs. And Japanese ones rarely go very far from the anime stylistics - I was also thinking about suggesting House in Fata Morgana, like @onorub did, but I'm not even sure if it's that "Western". I see it more like a modification of the anime artstyle, just like Steins;Gate or Danganronpa got pretty far from the generic moe aesthetic, but are still very visibly Japanese games.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

In a way - it's because of visual novels either being Japanese or imitating the Japanese format closely. You'll find mostly people interested in manga and anime on both the producer and consumer side of Western VNs. And Japanese ones rarely go very far from the anime stylistics - I was also thinking about suggesting House in Fata Morgana, like @onorub did, but I'm not even sure if it's that "Western". I see it more like a modification of the anime artstyle, just like Steins;Gate or Danganronpa got pretty far from the generic moe aesthetic, but are still very visibly Japanese games.

In my opinion some European video games have a strong imprint of the game books that the VNs do not have. Could it be a criterion of distinction?

I take some time to try the titles that we have marked in the post and update you!

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am, I took a few nights to try the titles we have marked.

I managed to try Soulset, Fata Morgana no Yakata and The Ballad Singer.

Soulset: has a very intriguing story, even the illustrations are very pleasant.

Fata morgana no Yakata: I really enjoyed the soundtrack and the "particular" narrative style.

What surprised me is The Ballad Singer, it has an integral narrative, beautiful illustrations and interactive elements that change the narrative path.

I have not had many days to try them, I will continue in the next days :)