Story-driven VN

Silvz

Hello! So, I've just finished Higurashi (the last one available) and I want a new VN to read. However, for the first time in years, I haven't decided which one.

I'd like to read a VN focused on the plot, instead of the characters. It can have routes, but ones that really impact the story.

Do not recommend Kara no Shoujo, Umineko, KEY, Swan Song (etc) because I have already read those. Since I missed a lot of new releases from the last few months, the recommendations could start by them.

Thanks in advance <3

edit: If there are plot twists, it's even better! And english-only.

Edited by Silvz

All of those recommendations were good enough, so I'll add more here. Since you've finished both of Ever17 and Remember11, perhaps you can try I/O as well. Oh and I would like to seconded Shibuya Scramble as well, although keep in mind that you can only play that by using keyboards though. Also if you okay with GL, then you can try Hakuai although it's only charage at the surface though (Key words here 'at the surface'). For the last recommendations here, I will recommend both of Himawari and Island there. Hope that my recommendations here will be helpful to you, although you may already read some of those.

I'd recommend you play Fatal Twelve if you haven't already since it is a wonderful time that is filled with a lot of lots of twists that I didn't see coming.  

Enigma is also another good choice and it is what got me back to the world of VNS 

Oh I'd also recommend you play Moonlit Garden and Magical Eyes as well since they are satisfying reads despite being relatively short.

8 hours ago, snowbell55 said:

I haven't yet read it but you could try Chaos;Child maybe? Same devs and universe as Steins;Gate.

I haven't read it yet, and it was in my list, but I recall someone saying it wasn't good. Good recommendation!

6 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

You've read Fata Morgana IIRC.

428 Shibuya Scramble is pretty interesting. It got a 40 from Famitsu and also it's a live-action visual novel

Yes, of course! I love Fata Morgana <3 And, uh... I mean, real people and all @_@ I don't know if it would be a good read. Is the story good enough to get over the art?

5 hours ago, alpacaman said:

Root Double has some pacing issues but it's full of plot twists and bad endings.

Already read it! It was great for the most part (it could be shorter).

4 hours ago, littleshogun said:

All of those recommendations were good enough, so I'll add more here. Since you've finished both of Ever17 and Remember11, perhaps you can try I/O as well. Oh and I would like to seconded Shibuya Scramble as well, although keep in mind that you can only play that by using keyboards though. Also if you okay with GL, then you can try Hakuai although it's only charage at the surface though (Key words here 'at the surface'). For the last recommendations here, I will recommend both of Himawari and Island there. Hope that my recommendations here will be helpful to you, although you may already read some of those.

I/O was in my list waaay back when fuwa still had torrents, but for some reason I never read it. Maybe I'll go with that one. Besides Island - which Clephas made it seem terrible -, I've already read all of those (Hakuai is amazing, btw)

19 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Play Soundless one of the better OELVNs out there and a pretty atmospheric Denpa/Mystery story.

That art .-----.

3 hours ago, Ranzo said:

I'd recommend you play Fatal Twelve if you haven't already since it is a wonderful time that is filled with a lot of lots of twists that I didn't see coming.  

Enigma is also another good choice and it is what got me back to the world of VNS 

Oh I'd also recommend you play Moonlit Garden and Magical Eyes as well since they are satisfying reads despite being relatively short.

forgot to quote you - sorry

Magical Eyes is another game that was on my list but for some reason I never read. It gives me some Tokyo Babel vibes from the pictures, which is definetely a good thing. The other games I've already read, and honestly loved both Fatal Twelve and Enigma, although Moonlit Garden was just meh.

31 minutes ago, Silvz said:

I haven't read it yet, and it was in my list, but I recall someone saying it wasn't good. 

I mean, real people and all @_@ I don't know if it would be a good read. Is the story good enough to get over the art?

Island - which Clephas made it seem terrible -

That art .-----.

Geez Picky much? 6_6

I'm not recommending Soundless on impulse, the plot and atmosphere are genuinely good even If the art is not the greatest so I'll still advise you to give It a try, even if the art-style doesn't suit your taste.

Also heard awesome things about 428, even if I haven't played It, I can tell It is pretty unique.

Also anyway can say a VN is bad but you can only know by playing It kek (also Island/C;C doesn't seem awful but In digress).

21 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Geez Picky much? 6_6

I'm not recommending Soundless on impulse, the plot and atmosphere are genuinely good even If the art is not the greatest so I'll still advise you to give It a try, even if the art-style doesn't suit your taste.

Also heard awesome things about 428, even if I haven't played It, I can tell It is pretty unique.

Also anyway can say a VN is bad but you can only know by playing It kek (also Island/C;C doesn't seem awful but In digress).

I mean, I am picky haha I've always been. I know you wouldn't recommend something you don't like, but you have to agree with me on this one D:

I would have recommended Symphonic Rain (first VN that came to mind when TC mentioned plot twists), but he's already read it.

* ef - a fairy tale of the two . Quite a lot of relationship drama, and pretty good plot.

* Grisaia no Kajitsu . It does really focus on it's larger then life characters. Character routes are pretty serious though (standing in contrast to the over the top comedy in the common route). You may like the psychological themes.

* Muv-Luv Trilogy. It'll take you a while to get through Extra and Unlimited. Just wait till you get to Alternative though (probably the ultimate story driven experience)!

* Sorcery Jokers . Quite a lot of action.

2 hours ago, Silvz said:

I/O was in my list waaay back when fuwa still had torrents, but for some reason I never read it. Maybe I'll go with that one. Besides Island - which Clephas made it seem terrible -, I've already read all of those (Hakuai is amazing, btw)

Well then perhaps you may try to update your list here, because it's quite outdated if you didn't include Hakuai (It give me surprise back when I saw the spoiler picture). As for Island, I would say that it's the best that you try it and find out by yourself of how good it is (Same goes with Chaos Child), and I think overall impression in regard of that seems quite positive for the most part. Oh and just in case you still didn't play Dies Irae yet, I think you can try that one now along with I/O then.